Now that the 'New' iPad is out...

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
...Who is still content with their first gen? The only reason I ask is because I played with a 'New' iPad, and where I like it because of the gorgeous screen, that's about the only thing I liked.

I would definitely like one, but I have more of an itch to purchase a cheap, used/like new, pristine Craigslist iPad.

So, who here has tried the 'New' iPad and still loves their first gen? Let me know what you think.

PS: As a side note, I have ALWAYS preferred the body style of the first gen iPad. It just looks and feels so much better, in my opinion. :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The iPad1 is a brick by weight in comparison to the new one... and people are whining that the new one is "so heavy" compared to gen.2 - then there's the camera... and yeah, the screen... it's a great upgrade for those that have an original iPad.

acecommander

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I traded my 1st generation 32g Wifi for the new 64g Wifi yesterday after test driving it for about 5 or so minutes.

Yes, the display is much better than the original Ipad, but the kicker for me was the speaker. I'm deaf in one ear and only have about 80% hearing in my other one, so when I heard the sound (volume and quality) coming out of the system, I was hooked.

Also, Best Buy trade in was listed on their website at $225 and when I went through the check out process, I was offered $260 for my old Ipad.

I'm also using my old cover on my new Ipad for now. Kind of surprising because the cover is just a little loose.

knowlivelove516

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprisingly more than content. I think the original ipad will be my first device of any kind that I use until it dies and is unusable. The new ipad has very little appeal to me. If I were to upgrade I'd get a refurb ipad 2. I'm sure the screen looks great but i honestly don't even notice that my iphone's screen is a retina anymore so I'm sure the gorgeous ipad screen will wear off.

I also prefer the look and feel of the original.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the original for almost two years, then bought a 2 shortly after the 4.0.1 jailbreak was released. I returned it inside of my return policy and traded up to a 3 when it came out.

I really liked my original, as far as the shape and weight went. The new ones don't feel "right" to me, like they're so thin that they could snap in half under their own weight if I moved too fast!

In the end, though, it was all about the hardware inside that made me change. On 3.x firmware, I had a lot more control over the RAM usage. After 4.0 came out with its multitasking, the original iPad seemed as if it just wasn't made for doing that. More and more, I was finding that apps were crashing unless I manually cleaned the multitask bar frequently, and I hated that Safari had to reload entire pages every time I switched tabs. 256 MB of RAM is simply not enough for today's apps and iOS.

I didn't have any trouble with the 2, but I was "that guy" who traded up. I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy and had a 45-day return window. The new iPad came out 44 days after I made the purchase, so on day 45, I returned the iPad 2 and bought a new one.

I honestly wouldn't recommend buying a n original, unless you get it for a really great price. That being said, my wife (who never even touched my original iPad before) told me that she wanted to play with it for a while before it went on Craigslist. She will not give it back now.

The 2 was really nice. 512 MB seemed like enough (for now) RAM to keep everything running smoothly. The battery seemed to discharge more slowly, and it charged faster. The screen isn't is nice as the new one, but as was mentioned earlier, it's not a huge deal. If I were to recommend which iPad to buy for a first-time user, I'd suggest a nice, used iPad 2, unless price wasn't an issue.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend took over my first iPad so that was my excuse to get the new one. I love the screen and it is really fast compared the the old one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal