Mac book or IPad...?

Manny_Fresh

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Im stuck with the question of should i buy an iPad or a Mac Book. I turned to the apple side back in april with buying an iphone and i am so in love with it and everything apple. i had a mac book back in 2008 but it got stolen and i never replaced it. so i am wondering what i should buy now. i found a ipad 1 with a keyboard and all types of extras for 500. i wasnt sure if i should buy the mac book and then the ipad or if the ipad will do just as good as a mac book.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you already own a laptop/desktop? If not, I would definitely go with the MacBook or any other laptop over the iPad. The iPad in my opinion is not meant to replace a computer. It really depends on what your going to use it for.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The iPad, even with a keyboard, will not do "just as good as a mac book". They are different tools for different purposes.

The question boils down to "what do you wish to accomplish with this device?". The laptop (any laptop) is far superior to any tablet at this point for creating content - from school papers, to spreadsheets, to work applications, to media (video rendering, photo editing, podcasting, etc). Sure, there are iPad apps for some of these tasks, but the true computer (MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini, etc) are far better suited to these tasks. Plus they have substantially more storage capacity.

The iPad, on the other hand, is great for consuming media - reading books, surfing the web, watching video, etc.

Even with a keyboard, switching between tasks such as surfing the web/doing research and writing a school paper will become incredible frustrating... plus the lack of a USB port or media slot makes managing files (slightly) more difficult than on a computer.

So, why do you want the device? What are you going to use it for?

Manny_Fresh

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the advice..! i was reading the other day that the tablet is the new laptop and that you should just buy a tablet over a laptob and wanted to just ask the question myself. i do have a desktop but trust me its not a mac and i want to replace all my PC's with Macs.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the advice..! i was reading the other day that the tablet is the new laptop and that you should just buy a tablet over a laptob and wanted to just ask the question myself. i do have a desktop but trust me its not a mac and i want to replace all my PC's with Macs.

I understand where you're coming from... but trust me... if you try to replace your computer with a tablet, you will end up disappointed. The tablets (especially the iPad) are great tools, and wonderful application of technology... but they are not replacements for computers, at least not yet. Good luck with your quest!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from... but trust me... if you try to replace your computer with a tablet, you will end up disappointed. The tablets (especially the iPad) are great tools, and wonderful application of technology... but they are not replacements for computers, at least not yet. Good luck with your quest!

As has been suggested, it will depend upon "your" usage. I will partially disagree with HankAZ. <Only a little though>:D I personally know several people that ONLY use a smartphone and a Tablet as their ONLY computers. Now these are people that are committed to "Mobile" only. They have learned to utilize the strength and weaknesses of being mobile. they also use Cloud storage a lot.

I personally have replaced my aging laptop with my iPad. Now I used a laptop when I traveled, had a presentation, etc. My iPad can do all that. I even did a one week experiment by using only my iPad and iPhone for work and personal use. It "can" be done. You have to re-think computing as we know it, IMVHO. (Online storage, picture management, ect.)

An iPad could NOT be my only computer because I take a LOT of pictures at my kids Sporting Events (1,000's) and storing them in the cloud or on a Tablet is just not a good idea, IMO. Besides, I have a 20" iMac sitting at my desk, so why would I not use a better tool for that anyway! :D:p

Long and short. If your needs are "simple", yes you could replace your laptop. It just gets more interesting if you want it to be your ONLY computer.

Last edited:

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Yea Hank's right, don't try to replace your regular computer with an iPad... The iPad just can't do what a macbook can.

Manny_Fresh

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again for helping me make up my mind. im deff getting another macbook but now i dont know if i should go with the reg macbook pro or if i should get the air. i know that the air doesnt have the disk drive on it and some other little things but other then that im not to sure on what one i should go with.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for helping me make up my mind. im deff getting another macbook but now i dont know if i should go with the reg macbook pro or if i should get the air. i know that the air doesnt have the disk drive on it and some other little things but other then that im not to sure on what one i should go with.

The new MBAs are pretty powerful little machines... There are several threads that discuss the merits of the MBA vs the MBP, including this one:
http://forums.tipb.com/apple-computers-forum/216795-macbook-pro-air.html

Also, here's a chart that I did to show the differences. Hope it helps, and best of luck with your decision.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I personally made the switch to the MacBook air as my primary device but it really comes down to what your needs are. For me personally, the MacBook Air is the way to go. I don't need the extra storage, disk drive, processor power/ram, ports, etc...The latest MacBook air does what I need it to do and does it very well. No complaints thus far. Here's a link to a comparison of the Air/Pro line from Mac|Life:

13-Inch MacBook Pro vs. MacBook Air: Which One Is Right For You? | Mac|Life

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
One more thought... if you do decide to go with the MBA, I strongly suggest that you go with the 13" display. I have the 11" screen and it's great, but IMO, too small for my "only" computer.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
One more thought... if you do decide to go with the MBA, I strongly suggest that you go with the 13" display. I have the 11" screen and it's great, but IMO, too small for my "only" computer.

I totally agree. I had a netbook before so I am done with small screens on laptops. The 13" size screen which I had a few laptops back is perfect IMHO....for me anyways. At home I plug my Air into my external monitor and with my wireless keyboard I have a desktop.

Last edited:

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You also have the 14 return policy so you can always exchange one for the other if your not happy with your initial decision/purchase.

Manny_Fresh

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
wow thank you so much! id have to say that answered all my questions i had. i was looking for a chart like that.

You're welcome. There is one item that I noticed that was left off the chart. The MBPs all have ethernet ports... the MBAs don't. With virtually-ubiquitous wi-fi, it's not a huge deal, but may be worth mentioning.

Manny_Fresh

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
i think im gonna go with the MBP. Having it be my only personal computer i kinda want it to have everything. id go with an air if i had one of the mac desktops but that will be a little further down the road, lol.

Manny_Fresh

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
so i bought the MacBook Pro yesterday. im so far 100% happy with it and love it. my only thing is now i want to use my iphone as a modem but im not sure how to do it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
so i bought the MacBook Pro yesterday. im so far 100% happy with it and love it. my only thing is now i want to use my iphone as a modem but im not sure how to do it.

Congrats on the new MacBook Pro!

The easiest and most legal way is to contact your provider and get a tethering data plan. AT&T runs about $20/month and you lose your unlimited data plan (if you have one). Not sure how VZW handles it or what they charge.

There are jailbreak tools for this, but the carriers are starting/trying to catch and crack down on unauthorized tethering. If they catch you, they will force you into the legal tethering solution (above). Some users report getting threatening letters from their providers saying that they know they're tethering without paying for it and threatening the conversion/loss of unlimited data... others say they've been tethering with JB and never got the notice from their provider. YMMV.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2