Why MUST I have a computer to use the iPad??

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Upon purchasing it I was absolutely thrilled with myself. I immediately stopped at the house, opened up everything...my new Bluetooth keyboard, the iPad, the Knomo case. All of it was useless.

I could not use the device. I bought it because my iMac wouldn't turn on for some weird reason and here I was unable to use this new device either. I was then forced to have my girlfriend bring her laptop along just so I could connect to iTunes to register the device. Quite frankly, had she not beenable to do it that night I would have returned the iPad.

Why such absurd requirements exist on Apple devices is beyond me...but I am not convinced I will buy another one of their products for while. As much as I like the iPad, I only bought it because I was in a pinch, but had I had time to consider other devices, and had I known about the annoying setup, I likely would have chosen something else.

FrostedDarkness

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is required to register the device with the Apple database and pretty much let them start controlling you. Like Apple's view is.
The reason for connecting it is beyond me unless what I just said is true.

anon(4714309)

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
All of their devises need to be connected to iTunes to boot up or something. When I got my iPod touch I was the same way. I oppened it up and was like :D!.. :'(( because I needed iTunes and my computer crashed just days before. I didn't know I needed iTunes to start using it. I agree it's a rediculous thing but I wouldn't not buy their products again.

jphoman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this should change. iPad should be a stand-alone device, but I don't see Apple changing this until iOS and OS X merge because there is no file management like "finder" on an iPad.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
OMG!!! YOUR RIGHT!!! By plugging the device in and registering it with iTunes there is a special little chip secretly planted in your head to control you! It all makes sense now!

Get a life. Who knows why it's like that and it does suck but life moves on.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Upon purchasing it I was absolutely thrilled with myself. I immediately stopped at the house, opened up everything...my new Bluetooth keyboard, the iPad, the Knomo case. All of it was useless.

I could not use the device. I bought it because my iMac wouldn't turn on for some weird reason and here I was unable to use this new device either. I was then forced to have my girlfriend bring her laptop along just so I could connect to iTunes to register the device. Quite frankly, had she not beenable to do it that night I would have returned the iPad.

Why such absurd requirements exist on Apple devices is beyond me...but I am not convinced I will buy another one of their products for while. As much as I like the iPad, I only bought it because I was in a pinch, but had I had time to consider other devices, and had I known about the annoying setup, I likely would have chosen something else.

Because despite all of his cool innovation, Steve Jobs is a control freak.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my iPad from the apple store, they registered it there so I could start using it right away. I thought that was pretty cool. I'm assuming the OP didn't go to a apple store...

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually just bought everything and left. Being that I no longer had a working computer to use I needed something fast. I figured with all of the iPad hype (and it IS a very good device...I am typing this on it right now) it would do the job immediately. It was a very bad start but has since smoothed out. I don't see any reason for me not to be able to register the device directly through the 3G connection or when connected to Wifi. It just really frustrated me...

I still like the iPad. It sees more use than my laptops ever did because it lasts longer between charges and turns on instantly. It almost lost the chance for me to see it shine due to a simple-headed registration requirement.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry I'm not trying to sound like a jerk and I'm not defending Apple just because, you simply have to give credit where credit is due. The iPad has been out for how long now? The 2nd gen is about to be released pretty soon. The point is that it is full knowledge the iPad needs to be connected to get going initially. So you pretty much sound like you're blaming the device because you didn't do your homework. It is an auxiliary device right now depending on the user's needs and it isn't and never will be a netbook. So if that is what you were looking for the Macbook Air would have been more up your alley. In my opinion I think what alot of other devices lack is actually the software to connect to and configure, sync things, etc like iTunes.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry I'm not trying to sound like a jerk and I'm not defending Apple just because, you simply have to give credit where credit is due. The iPad has been out for how long now? The 2nd gen is about to be released pretty soon. The point is that it is full knowledge the iPad needs to be connected to get going initially. So you pretty much sound like you're blaming the device because you didn't do your homework. It is an auxiliary device right now depending on the user's needs and it isn't and never will be a netbook. So if that is what you were looking for the Macbook Air would have been more up your alley. In my opinion I think what alot of other devices lack is actually the software to connect to and configure, sync things, etc like iTunes.

Well lets be honest here. Someone who never owned an iPad, or even any "iDevice" would not even think " oh I should check to see if I need to hook it up to a computer before I can use it" Not everyone is tech savy or knows everything about Apple products.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OP is right, it's a fancy jumbo iPhone as long as it's tied to another computer.

More like a jumbo iPod Touch... since there's no camera or phone capabilities (save audio-only Skype)... or, as my son says, his iPod Touch is actually an iPad Nano...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Exactly what I've said since day one. And one of the [many] reasons I got rid of the iPad I won after less than a month.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Well lets be honest here. Someone who never owned an iPad, or even any "iDevice" would not even think " oh I should check to see if I need to hook it up to a computer before I can use it" Not everyone is tech savy or knows everything about Apple products.

Yeah, but any smart shopper who is going to spend $500+ on something should do a little product research....one google search would have yielded what the OP is most frustrated about....

Reactions: anon(52425)

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but any smart shopper who is going to spend $500+ on something should do a little product research....one google search would have yielded what the OP is most frustrated about....

again, some one who never owned an iDevice before is not going to think of having to hook it up to a computer. I know I didn't when I got my first iPod touch back in 2007. I thought it was going to be much like the rest of the iPods, just turn it on and it will work.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
again, some one who never owned an iDevice before is not going to think of having to hook it up to a computer. I know I didn't when I got my first iPod touch back in 2007. I thought it was going to be much like the rest of the iPods, just turn it on and it will work.
v
The iPhone as well as the iPod Touch which needs to be connected to a computer has been out for three years by the time the OP bought his iPad. So I find it very hard to beleive someone couldn't easily figure or find out that it would need to be connected to a computer. Also to go beyond the tech savvy when I buy a $500-1000 item like a DSLR, iPad,even a winter beater. I lookup the item to see reviews, what other people think or the problems. Anyway the point is not whether it's easy to find out if it needs to be connected my issue was that the OP was blaming Apple for a device that is doing what it was made to do. I wouldn't buy an HD TV expecting all my channels to show in HD because of the TV and then blame Sony because I didn't buy a digital box to get HD programming.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
v
The iPhone as well as the iPod Touch which needs to be connected to a computer has been out for three years by the time the OP bought his iPad. So I find it very hard to beleive someone couldn't easily figure or find out that it would need to be connected to a computer. Also to go beyond the tech savvy when I buy a $500-1000 item like a DSLR, iPad,even a winter beater. I lookup the item to see reviews, what other people think or the problems. Anyway the point is not whether it's easy to find out if it needs to be connected my issue was that the OP was blaming Apple for a device that is doing what it was made to do. I wouldn't buy an HD TV expecting all my channels to show in HD because of the TV and then blame Sony because I didn't buy a digital box to get HD programming.

I remember as a kid getting mad when the promo said {whatever show it was} "in living color"... and all I could get on our 20 b&w Zenith was a b&w picture...

The bottom line, right, wrong or indifferent is "because Steve Jobs says you do"... and it really isn't a secret that it is the way it works...

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Let me start by saying, this isn't meant to be mean....

When spending $500, $600, $700 on an electronic device, you have to ask questions, do research, etc. ONE simple question would have alleviated all your frustration...."How Do I Set This Up When I Get Home"...

One doesn't need to be "tech savvy" to ask questions of your sales rep.

It's common knowledge that Apple created iTunes, right? I don't even understand how someone can purchase a standard iPod (not referring to an iPod Touch) and not know it must be synced on someones computer with a iTunes account? Otherwise you'd have an awesome music device with no music?

I guess the lesson learned is, ask questions first before you make your final purchase, you can't really blame Apple for this one!

It's like buying a standard land line telephone and then getting angry because you have to actually pay for a service provider to make it work..

Just my thoughts..
Julie :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox