how to set the mute button back to orientation lock

eventloud

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
after the update, the old orientation lock button now is the mute button, which is very inconvenient to me. is there any way i can set it back to the lock button?

thanks!

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
How is it inconvenient? You can still lock the orientation with a software switch

If you think it's not a big deal, that's fine, opinions differ, but to talk as if there's no difference is delusional. The software switch takes FOUR steps, compared to a simple flick of the ONE hardware switch previously. FOUR is MORE than ONE seems like an elementary concept. Switching it on and off is FOUR TIMES the keystrokes as before. If you switch several times a day, it's now FOUR TIMES as much effort and time as before. It's especially annoying since they added task switching, so that going between two apps with different orientations, which should be faster, is now slower than when you simply closed one app and opened another. :rolleyes:

For the OP - the only fix is to jailbreak your iPad.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Apologies if that came across as arrogant. I appreciate that there is a few more steps involved but can I ask what apps you lock and which ones you don't? as the only reason I have found for locking mine is when you are trying to type whilst lying down/sitting at a funny angle

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
as the only reason I have found for locking mine is when you are trying to type whilst lying down/sitting at a funny angle

In my case, the problem is using the iPad while on the train, usually standing. There I am, standing up, hanging onto the rail or support post or holding my briefcase with one hand and my ipad with the other. Every jerk, turn and elevation change sends the display twirling, as well as people passing by and bumping it so leaving the lock off isn't an option. So I want to change apps from a newsreader to book or video or whatever - previously, a simple finger slide along one edge would do. Now it's a two-handed operation that means letting go of support and/or belongings to change apps and lock the display in.

It's annoying. And it's twice a day, every day. And people that use the orientation lock once every season are constantly blithely dismissing the issue, which doesn't help. No offense, as it isn't just you.

Yankeexpress

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
With Photos

Since I use the same photo file as a screen saver on my MacBook as is synced to the iPad, some photos need to be oriented differently to show properly on the iPad screen vs how they display on the MacBook.

So I use the lock switch to anchor the photo. I cannot do that easily after the update while showing someone photos merely by clicking once anymore.

The iPad user should be given a choice as to which use the switch is set in the settings.

I'm seriously considering jail breaking to restore the switch to orientation lock.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
In my case, the problem is using the iPad while on the train, usually standing. There I am, standing up, hanging onto the rail or support post or holding my briefcase with one hand and my ipad with the other

I see how that would be a problem. I especially agree with the comment made about users having a choice.

I didn't really consider the implications of using the device with only one hand.... I guess Apple didn't either :confused:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess some find the software way to be more "cool", when the funcational, and practical way would be to have a user controlled option in settings.

but really, the iPad is not a phone. It does not need a mute switch, if you want to mute the ipad, press and hold the down volume button and a second and it will mute it self.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm so glad they decided to make it an option. I personnaly don't see the need for a mute switch, but its nice to see an option.

I wonder if iOS 5 will support landscape home screen on the iPhone? (The dock would be on the side, rather on the bottom in landscape mode)

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thee have been complaints from all quarters since the day of the change; it was the topic of the Letter from the Editor in Mac|Life last month.