Do You do internet banking on the iPad?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know with internet banking security is a huge issue. It's enough of an issue when you use the full blown desktop browser. However does anyone use their iPad for internet banking? I've never done any banking but thought it would be quick and easy to use it instead of having to pull out my MBP each time.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sure why not? I'm always connected to my secured, password protected home network. No different using it on a computer.

to be honest you are never really safe when banking, even at the ATM, as people can install fake keypads and card readers that will steal your information.

Reactions: PREferred#IM

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yes. I also do it from the iPhone. Thank Netscape for SSL.

Of course, from a security point of view, the most important online banking operation is reconciling your activity every two or three days. As a consumer, one actually has thirty days from one's paper statement (which I no longer get) but the sooner one detects fraudulent activity, the less disruptive it will be and the easier it will be to resolve.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I know with internet banking security is a huge issue. It's enough of an issue when you use the full blown desktop browser. However does anyone use their iPad for internet banking? I've never done any banking but thought it would be quick and easy to use it instead of having to pull out my MBP each time.

Security can be the same on an iPad as from a desktop. I mean, if you do online banking while on an open Wifi connection in some cafe, you deserve to get what you'll surely get.

Reactions: PREferred#IM

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well really people, just monitor your account. I know with US Bank you enter an answer to a security question and then your password. If you buy online, make sure the window has a padlock icon. that will tell you its secure,.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Security can be the same on an iPad as from a desktop. I mean, if you do online banking while on an open Wifi connection in some cafe, you deserve to get what you'll surely get.
Indeed. At least for the time being, one's iPad is far less likely to be corrupt than one's desktop.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I use it, I just wish USAA would make their app into a full scale Ipad app.

Even US Bank's internet banking looks crappy, but it can not be all flashy and needs to support even those who use older systems. I think their internet banking site is at 640x480 or at least 800x600. Good enough to get the job done and log out.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site

Not really.

This is the oft-sung mantra of the snobbier among us, but no one's ignorance of technology is the great sin you make it out to be. Some times its willful ignorance, but sometimes, it's just a lack of info. We ALL suffer that particular malady in one way or another.

It's like saying someone who wanders into a bad neighborhood deserves to get robbed.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
As long as I'm on a known & secure network I use my iPad & iPhone quite regularly to log in to my online banking & make transactions etc. As long as the network is secure, you're not really under any more risk than you would be if using your home PC/laptop.

Gadgetholik

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I never use the ipad or iphone for online banking.I only use my norton 360 protected computer to transact online as it has a firewall and anti-phishing detector.The ipad on the other hand has nothing neither a firewall nor an anti phishing detector.So if you type the address of the your bank on the ipad and you are led to a phished site which looks exactly like your bank's site and you provide your login details,your account will be wiped off within minutes and you won't have a clue who did it.So never use the ipad for online banking.But this is solely my personal opinion.It's your ipad,your bank account and you should be the one to decide what to do with it.Regards.

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I do use my iphone and ipad for banking;money transfer, bills payment etc while at home. Haven't tried doing so outside the comforts of my home.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The issue is security of the WiFi where you are. Many places I go have 100% open unencrypted WiFi. Banking on such a system is, to me, silly. My home and work Wifi is 128 bit encrypted which I consider safe. After all, it's not like I'm some tempting target for advanced hacking.