Rip DVD's to iPad

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a software I can use to 'rip' DVD movies into a format I can load onto my iPad? Do the DVD's I purchased have some sort of anti - copy or anti - rip scheme inherent in them making this an iffy proposition for some DVD's? I ask because I understand some DVD publishers resist you making copies of their DVD's as backups & I suppose this would be a similar tech.

TIA.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Most of the new DVD's have a digital copy included with them. You can use something like Handbrake to convert them to a format for the iPad.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Not all are new and in fact few are. I guess I can just try Handbrake to see what I end up with. Thanks.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
If it's legal in your area and you're doing it for personal backup reasons, you can't go wrong with Handbrake. You'll need to install VLC as well since Handbrake doesn't include the decryption elements themselves any more.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK, thanks. I have VLC. As far as I know, I'm doing nothing illegal or unethical where I am. After all, if the iPad had a DVD reader attached, it'd be the same thing, but I don't want to buy / carry that reader.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
AnyDVD by SlySoft is also a good DVD decrypter. As Rene said as long as it is not illegal where you are you can use that to decrypt your DVD's.

antony09#IM

Banned
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
iPAD video converter

Have a look at this video converter. DVD to iPad video converter is the good utility which will not cause difficulties for you. This program is free.

ipad-dvd-video-converter com

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Is there a software I can use to 'rip' DVD movies into a format I can load onto my iPad? Do the DVD's I purchased have some sort of anti - copy or anti - rip scheme inherent in them making this an iffy proposition for some DVD's? I ask because I understand some DVD publishers resist you making copies of their DVD's as backups & I suppose this would be a similar tech.

TIA.

You need third party software. The DVDs will be protected but it's nothing to worry about, I've never ran across one that couldn't be ripped.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I did buy a package and it's working fine once I diddled the settings well. Nice to have my library of DVD's available for play in the iPAd.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok am I missing something I have hand break and the vcl player installed I then converted some DVD no issue I put in a movie and it takes awhile took awhile to load source it finally loads and when I convert it's all scrambled ? I thought the vlc removed copy protection ?
Before anyone jumps me I own these DVDs I'm doing this to put a couple movie on my daughters iPhone for car trips etc vs bringing the DVDs

I have the newest version of both handbreak and vcl player running windows 7

Thanks

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware of the capacities of VLC. I do know that I've had no issues with the Ifunia product, but ai also can't say if my DVD's are copy protected and if so, by what method. I only know that the results have been perfect so far.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok am I missing something I have hand break and the vcl player installed I then converted some DVD no issue I put in a movie and it takes awhile took awhile to load source it finally loads and when I convert it's all scrambled ? I thought the vlc removed copy protection ?
Before anyone jumps me I own these DVDs I'm doing this to put a couple movie on my daughters iPhone for car trips etc vs bringing the DVDs

I have the newest version of both handbreak and vcl player running windows 7

Thanks

Not sure how well it works in the Windows environment. It works pretty consistently and pretty well in OSX. I know that past versions of HandBrake worked better in OSX than Windows... and I thought that I heard that HandBrake was no longer developing the Windows version, but I can't find any source for that info at this time.

Also, as far as I know, VLC does NOT 'remove' the copy protection... rather, it is able to decode the movie though the copy protection... and that HandBrake uses VLC to get the past the copy protection. Maybe from where we consumers see it, it's a difference without a distinction, but that's how I understand it.

Finally, I have discovered a couple of movies that the HandBrake/VLC combination won't work on - one was the grandkid's Yogi Bear movie... so it's not flawless.

Last edited:

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Clueless here. How do you copy the movie using vlc? That's the only problem I'm having. I got one movie I had on my computer and used handbrake fine.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Clueless here. How do you copy the movie using vlc? That's the only problem I'm having. I got one movie I had on my computer and used handbrake fine.

Are you using a Mac or PC? I don't think the VLC think works the same way on a PC... but I use a Mac, so this may or may not be of any use to a Windows user - the process could be different, internally.

You don't copy anything with VLC. You just need VLC installed on your Mac. The HandBrake program takes advantage of the VLC link to read/decode copy protection - you can use VLC to simply play copy protected DVDs on your Mac (and probably your PC, too). VLC has the code to be able to read/play the DVD content, despite the copy protection. HandBrake just takes advantage of that piece to be able to read your copy protected DVD.

DISCLAIMER: I only use this process to rip DVDs that I have legally purchased. Please support the motion picture industry and DO NOT STEAL content/intellectual property. It's wrong, and it's not cool.

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I have windows 7. I'll have to look into it some more when I get my dsl back. I'm only trying to copy movies I bought, I buy a lot of movies from amazon because they're cheap. Thanks for your help. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox