How long does it take your iPad to backup?

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I've connected my iPad to iTunes to update to iOS 4.2. This iPad has not been connected to itunes since I bought it. I do have a few pages of apps installed. The usual backup and sync before updating is taking a long time. How long did it take your iPad to backup?
This feels like the old iPhone backup problem from an earlier version of iTunes.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I never understand why folks don't backup more often. I plug it in every day and so the backup takes less than a minute.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
First- no need for this thread. backup completed in a bit more than an hour. Second - I backup my iPhone daily (often more than once), but backing up the iPad is not a natural or necessary daily function for many users.

Carpy1985

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
After 12 hours overnight my iPad reached only half way through the back up process.

This was whilst I was trying to update to 4.2. Last backed up in September. In the end I just restored and set it up as a new iPad!

lorin.bute

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I back up my iPad every 2 days or so. I have days when it takes 20 minutes and days when it takes less than a minute. I've heard that there are apps that create lots of small files in their repository and when backing up it takes a lot of time to back up those files. I don't know if this is true but it does makes sense. I always notice that the backup process takes longer when I install the kindle app on my iPad. Once I uninstall it everything goes well.

patrickq

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
In case it wasn't obvious to all: iPad backups should be much faster once the iPad is upgraded to a 4.x OS because iOS 4.0 introduced the notion of incremental backups. Prior to iOS4 an iPhone would back up any app where any data changed - the entire app's data - now it only backs up individual data elements that have actually changed in the app's documents folder. For example I am running an app called ScanBizCards with around 2,000 scanned images of business cards: on the iPad it backs up all 2,000 cards each but only the changed/new cards on the iPhone.

boudewein

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No longer than 3 minutes. It depends on how much data your apps are using. For apps which depend on user generated data can become quite large to backup.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it depends on how much information you got on there really. It's syncing all your apps, and 3d games take a while for it, movies or music will also. I would just sync it up to the computer often, make a habit out of it, at least a couple times a week, if not every day, then it never takes more than a minute or a few seconds.
Actively backing up in case of emergency never hurt anybody either :p

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine took forever. I know it's my fault, from day one, it never touched iTunes. So when I went to back-up before 4.2 it took ages beacuse of all the junk I've aquired since launch. They are right though, every so often, just plug it in while you're sitting at the computer anyway, and back it up. Would save you some time in the long run.

mtnmedic

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It used to take FOR-EVER. But the last time I backed it up, which was a few days ago, it took about three to five minutes, tops. Good enough for me. I have a 64GB unit that's about 1/3rd filled.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711