iPad WiFi, is it my router?

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
I just got my WiFi Only iPad on Friday.

I have the problem where I connect to my home WiFi, it says I have FULL signal strength but Safari says I have no internet connection.
I keep my iPad in a case, the 'official' Apple iPad case, if that information helps.

I just updated to iOS 4.2.1 and the problem is still there.
Should I get a new, modern router or do I return my iPad?

This was a gift that I treated myself to for my birthday, and it's turning out to be a mess :/

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
:)

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
I just got my WiFi Only iPad on Friday.

I have the problem where I connect to my home WiFi, it says I have FULL signal strength but Safari says I have no internet connection.
I keep my iPad in a case, the 'official' Apple iPad case, if that information helps.

I just updated to iOS 4.2.1 and the problem is still there.
Should I get a new, modern router or do I return my iPad?

This was a gift that I treated myself to for my birthday, and it's turning out to be a mess :/

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
:)

Do you have a network password?

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Netgear WGR614, which is apparently from 2007.
So I think my router is too old?
Unless my iPad is really the problem here.
My iPod Touch connects perfectly, and so does my phone/other computer.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My in-laws had that router, and it ALWAYS had trouble connecting to any mac, ipad, or iphone in the house. Once in a while it worked, but only rarely and never for long.

A new router (non-Netgear) solved their problem, for what that's worth. I think it may have had something to do with internet protocols (might have that term wrong, but google ip4 vs. ip6 for an idea).

Good luck!

smz

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue, wifi conneection was excellent and My laptop can connect with no issue however iPad has difficulty to connect.

FYI, I'm new to Mac and just bought wifi iPad. My router was setup as mixed bandwidth (iPad can't connect to the signal). After changed to signal bandwidth, the iPad was able to connect with no problem.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Netgear isnt a very good brand name for routers, no, lol :p
I use d-link religiously. I refuse to use another brand (unless it was a cisco branded one).
I also stick strictly to wireless N routers, at least the advanced performance, not the basic wireless N ones too. It really is worth the extra ten bucks in saved headaches down the road to get a reliable router. You get what you pay for. Don't cheap on the router, do yourself a favour!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I see you got a new router congrats :D Just some food for thought for the future. You should also watch how close the router is to your iPad or iPhone. In all the years I owned iPhones I never had Wifi probs even when I saw people complaining they did. Then once for a stronger signal I moved my wireless router into my bedroom. Well I don't know if it was the proximity but both my iPhone and iPad started to prompt me for the password over and over connecting sometimes. It immediately stopped when I moved the router out of the room and back to it's original spot.