Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

78 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Default iPad ram

My iPad is nice and everything but I am worrying about the future, with only 256 mb memory how much life will this device have for future updates and newer features. I am a little tired of trying to keep up with apple and their 1 year hardware upgrades.
    xes1972 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

8 Posts

It'll have a couple years worth of updates minimum. You just won't be getting all the newest features. Look at what the iPhone 3G is getting with iOS 4 and you'll see what v1 of the iPad will feel like two years from now.
    iMore Elite

2,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,958 Global Posts

I think a better comparison would be iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 ... Minus some hardware specific features ie; gyroscope and retina display + Double Ram ... iOS experience is virtually the same. I am comfident that a front facing camera and gyroscope will be added to the next model, as well as double the system ram .. However, I think the current iPad has a lot of life left in it. It's not even a year old yet ;-)
    iMore Intermediate

414 Posts
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

yeah, the 256 mb memory really a little not enough. Maybe the solution of this is Mobile Hard disk,
    I suppose the upgrade will not be in a year, must be long....
    iPhone Intermediate

445 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

I'm sure tat you won't get 4gb memory, but can have 2gb so that ipad with a small OS can manage. I think 1gb of RAM is more than enough for the new iPad considering that the iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS have 256mb and a 600MHz of processor..

196 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

Apple is all about upgrades and updates. Im pretty sure the next generation of the iPad would be irresistible enough to ditch my current iPad.