Can I sync iPad with Outlook email?

foxhunter

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi - I'm new, and not sure if this is the right forum. I have lots of questions, but will start with one. I'm thinking about buying an iPad - it will be my first ever Apple product. (Although I'm not anti-apple or pro-PC.) I usually do my emails through Outlook on my desktop set up as POP3 server. Occasionally access via my ISP's webmail (SMTP-NOT) IMAP version. Obviously, they don't sync with each other. That's my problem to fix.

Am I going to have trouble syncing Outlook email on an iPad?
Thanks

I meant IMAP, not SMTP!

Last edited:

Trodecke

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think syncing with Outlook is an option, at least not without an Exchange server in the picture. Accessing POP3 e-mail (or imap for that matter), won't be an issue. While it's not currently setup this way I've had my iPad connected to Exchange, Hotmail (pop3), and Gmail (as an Exchange account) all at the same time.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
SMTP is the protocol you use to send your email. You will use it whether you use Exchange, IMAP, or Pop3.

You can sync your device to Outlook in iTunes, but it makes far more sense to put in the email server information and sync to the server - and even more sense to switch to an IMAP or Exchange account.

foxhunter

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks
I know smtp is outgoing - that's why i corrected to imap! Does the ipad email allow you to put email in folders? If i abandon outlook and switch to my Isp imap webmail, can i then sync folders as well as contacts on the ipad?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Outlook is only an email client. It controls nothing. If you use an IMAP email server, you can use folders. Webmail is also just an email client - the server is the important part, so if your isp offers IMAP then you can do folders and sync them to your iPad. IMAP has nothing to do with contacts - you need an Exchange server to handle both email and contact syncing.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73