You have the Wi-Fi Model. Did you/are you getting the 3G model?

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
Many folks bought the Wi-Fi only model when the iPad launched. Do you regret your purchase? Have you since picked up the 3G model?

Are you finding time when 3G would come in handy?

jjustice

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My answer's a bit more complicated =] When the Wi-Fi came out, I really wanted to try it, but I thought I might eventually want the 3G. So I bought the Wi-Fi to review for a month and then raffle off for charity. During that month, I became convinced that 3G would be much more useful, so a few months after that we bought a 3G. I couldn't use a wi-fi after this: it's so useful for my wife to look up things while we're driving around in the car.

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely no regret here. For my needs and uses - the 3G model wouldn't be worthwhile. If I'm anywhere that doesn't have wifi available, I probably don't want to be on my iPad anyway lol (the lake, woods, picnics, etc) or if I would want to use it, I would download the podcasts and/or apps that will pass my time. And if it happens to be a dire need, I have my iPhone 4.

I actually can say (for once) I'm glad I didn't go with the top model of something (because I usually do and regret the excess money spent later). That's a rarity for me haha!

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I bought the wifi model based on price. I really wish I hadn't been so cheap and just got the 3G model. It is really just a pain to carry around my Verizon mobile hotspot all the time. But I guess I already pay for it. But it would just be nice to have the 3G.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I started with a wifi and ended up buying a 3g, now the kids share the wifi so it all worked out.

Me, too, minus the kids. Wifi-only and wireless tethering made Netflix and YouTube all but useless.

Plus, more and more apps seem to assume or require an internet connection.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I bought the wifi model based on price. I really wish I hadn't been so cheap and just got the 3G model. It is really just a pain to carry around my Verizon mobile hotspot all the time. But I guess I already pay for it. But it would just be nice to have the 3G.

It probably wasn't just cheapness. Many of us were impatient eating for, not just the release of the 3G iPad, but for Apple to even give us a hard release DATE.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
True that Wi-Fi is near me 80% of the time, but it is that 20% that 3G sure would be useful... hmm.

Yep. I mean, I surf the web all day long, but beyond that there are random times throughout the day that I want or need web access - often beyond what my mobile phone provides.

Also, there are a select few places whose wifi is inaccessible to iPads. I've tried unsuccessfully on multiple iPads and successfully on multiple other types of devices - phones, laptops, etc. In these situations, 3G is a godsend.

I may not like AT&T, but I love that I am grandfathered into their unlimited data plan.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Glad I showed patience and waited until April to get my 3G 64GB iPad. Love it! Would hate to go back to WiFi only.

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
So, I made the plunge, I got the 32GB + 3G. I am so happy now! Having the ability to connect wherever you go is awesome!

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I originally bought the wifi only model, but three days later i went back and exchanged it for the 3G. Now i can use all of the iPad's features everywhere.
I'm very happy with my decision

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I was not over excited when news of the ipad came out.
Work got me one for evaluation and I ordered the Wifi model.
I love the iPad, and am blown away with the ease of use, and capabilities.
I can tether for free with my phone but when facetime model comes out I will probably go with 3G for ease of connection, and battery savings on my phone. (yes I understand I will have to use facetime with my phones tethering mode or wifi)

Lotus Esprit V8

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Many folks bought the Wi-Fi only model when the iPad launched. Do you regret your purchase? Have you since picked up the 3G model?

Are you finding time when 3G would come in handy?

I actually waited and got the 3G before they changed the unlimited plan to 2GB per month. I have had it for about 3 months now and I have used the 3G only about a dozen times as most of the places that I go to have WiFi. On the other hand it is handy when you are in the car and need to get something done.

dan1431

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Looking at this thread reminded me of a few weekends ago when my co-workers (Wi-Fi iPAD owners) and I (a Nexus One owner) attended a conference at a hotel in Denver, CO.

Side-Note: That weekend was my first time with any meaningful hands on experience with the iPAD and I was (and still am) impressed with the device.

At the conference itself (the meeting rooms, etc.) Wi-Fi was provided free of charge and my co-workers were able to use their iPADs to surf the net and do all the cool things one might do with their iPAD. The hotel rooms were a different story as the hotel only provided wired internet and to my (and my co-worker's) knowledge there is no RJ-45 to iPAD adapter, thus I had to use the hotspot feature of my Nexus One (a Google Product) to supply internet to the iPAD (an APPLE product) which actually worked fairly well (granted my co-workers did have to sit in my room when they wanted to access the net on their iPADs).

I questioned my colleagues that if they had it to do over again would they have purchased the 3G model and almost unanimously they answered YES. One of my colleagues said, while he has Wi-Fi in most places it would be nice to have the freedom that 3G provides.

In truth, I guess I would agree with them, I really enjoy the HotSpot feature on my N1 as well as the ease and convenience of my work provided 3G Mobile Broadband Card.

Dan

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sort of. Though I could just buy the clear spot and get unlimited data fo 25 bucks a month and be on no contract and also be on my areas new 4G network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro