Apple's iPad Isn't Cannibalizing Mac Sales Yet

fresh1

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Dan Frommer

Apple's Mac

is having a big quarter so far despite the iPad launch, which some feared could cannibalize Mac sales.

Mac retail sales in the U.S. are up 37% year-over-year for the quarter through May, according to NPD Group data analyzed by Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, who just published the new data in a note.

That's better than the 19% year-over-year growth (3.1 million units) the Street is predicting for the June quarter. So unless Mac sales hit a wall in June, Apple should have some Mac upside in the June quarter, plus all the benefit of the iPad.

Meanwhile, the iPod business is looking soft. NPD data suggests 9 million to 10 million shipments for the June quarter, or roughly in line with the Street's expectations of about 9.5 million. But Munster notes that international mix of the iPod is higher than the Mac business, which means U.S.-based NPD data isn't as strong of an indicator.

Big picture, it looks like the iPad isn't cannibalizing the Mac business -- at least not significantly -- but is slightly cannibalizing iPod sales

But that's okay -- the iPod business hasn't been Apple's growth driver in years; now the iPhone, iPad, and Mac are leading Apple's growth.

Fresh1

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
iPads for now and I'm thinking far into the future wont do anything to Mac sales. If anything it may grab a few people who have old Windows machines and get a Mac since they got an iPad. The iPad is just not powerful enough to retire a mac unless you're a very basic user. If you need to do things like photoshop good luck.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I am have 50% Mac at home 50% PC. I love my macs but need PC's HT...
At work I just bought an order of macbooks, some mbp's and some ipads.
I am actually quite shocked at ipad. And I think once some users see how much they can replace laptops, size, speed of boot. I think you will see ipad consume some of notebook sales, but not significantly.
I know I am order 1/2 of mac books next year, compared to what I would have, in favor of ipads at work.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2