iPad, Macbook Pro, or iMac?

nccows

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If I save up about $800+ for a 32 GB iPad w/ Applecare, iTunes Gift cards, and a bunch of accesories, would it be worth it just to save up some more and get a Macbook Pro or an iMac? I mean, if I would Task Manage, browse the web, and create Pages Documents saved as Word Documents for school, would it be worth it to get a Macbook Pro? Or even an iMac? I know that you can't save keynotes as .ppt on the iPad, but can you do that on the real Keynote? Is the iPad better for those things, or the Macs? What about other things that regular people would do? Like, not video editing or any hardcore stuff, but the casual things? Which would be better?

omegadivine

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I have a iPad and I am saving up for a MacBook pro heh, as far as ppt goes I am pretty sure there are apps for it on the iPad and even if you don't use keynote the entire office suite is available for Mac, honestly as I see it they both have their own upsides and downsides, just have to evaluate what you really want or need to do with it.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to be using it at home, the iMac. If you're going to be using it more "Mobile'y", then the iPad. If this is for more hardcore school stuff, then definatley an iMac or MacBook.

I have the iPad for use around the house. It makes me want a Mac even more. I dug out my old 2002(maybe?) iMac, Strawberry colored. That thing moved smoother/faster than my laptop (Windows 7, which was bought last year). And the iMac was only running Mac OS 9/X 10.1.

So basically, I'm saving up for a new iMac.

threar

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
As others have mentioned, it depends on your use. My primary machine is a MacBook Pro, because it can just plain do more (perhaps that'll turn into an argument, how about I also say "it can do more at the same time) than the iPad. Between an iMac and a MacBook, really it comes down to where you sit most often. At home at a desk? Get the iMac. At a coffee shop, or a bus, or on the couch, or in a park, you'll probably want the MacBook.

Now, an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard and a proper dock to stand it up with can be a good tool to use. Keynote works quite well, as does other office-type programs. It's nice and small with decent battery life. Just depends on how your computer usage is; me, I like having an email message, a web page, and a document open side by side (reference the email and a couple quotes from the web page, write into a document), and you cannot do that on an iPad (open email, copy/remember; close then open web page, copy/remember; close then open document and hope you remembered everything till then). Jailbreaking and backgrounder changes this a little bit more, cause at least you don't have to completely close all of the programs.

omegadivine

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah i love doing a lot at the same time but I just use my desktop for that. IPad is getting multitasking in ios4 though. I usually only bring the iPad out of the house and leave the laptop at home. It's smaller, lighter, and battery is awesome, less functionality but convenience wins in my case heh.

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
If I were you, I would get the Macbook Pro and an external monitor. I can use the Macbook pro like a desktop at home using the external monitor without having to worry about mobility.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad. Initially when I first got the iPad I used it and I found my MacBook Pro was sort of gathering dust. However, once the newness wore off and I found myself needing to do some productivity type stuff. I found the iPad was really lacking. Yes there is some Apps that do some productivity, but most of it is pretty weak by comparison to what you could or would use on a MacBook Pro. If you have to do a lot of typing like I do sometimes in creating reports. I will always opt to go with the MacBook Pro because typing on an iPad for somethings is nice and easy, but for a lot of work its a nightmare less you go the bluetooth keyboard option. Even then you still have the productivity limitations because the apps simply aren't really as good.

In my experience I'd save up and get the MacBook Pro. Portability and the ability to do whatever you need to in terms of really being productive. In my opinion the iPad is more suited for being a product to consume information more than being for productivity. I use mine to kick back on the couch are if I am going out and want to have access to email and other things.

Good Luck with your decision!

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
As much as I would love to say get an iPad, there are some things it just can't do... yet. It would be a safer gamble to buy a MacBook and have the piece of mind that it can literally do anything, than be frustrated by the iPad not.

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you already have functional laptop ( mac or not) then you could go with the iPad. But if you have nothing then start with a computer. I recommend the mbp because even if you do most of your computing at home it is always nice to have the convenience of being able to take it with you. Your not tied down to a desk. Now if you do have a computer already, the iPad is a nice tool/toy to have as it is quite convenient. But remember it can't do it all as I found out when it came time for my fantasy football draft and I was not at home with my MacBook I only had my iPad and the draft started. So I had to run home because the iPad didn't support the (I believe) flash based program.
Let us know what you decided on though, no matter what you get you will enjoy it.

paoj

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
If I save up about $800+ for a 32 GB iPad w/ Applecare, iTunes Gift cards, and a bunch of accesories, would it be worth it just to save up some more and get a Macbook Pro or an iMac? I mean, if I would Task Manage, browse the web, and create Pages Documents saved as Word Documents for school, would it be worth it to get a Macbook Pro? Or even an iMac? I know that you can't save keynotes as .ppt on the iPad, but can you do that on the real Keynote? Is the iPad better for those things, or the Macs? What about other things that regular people would do? Like, not video editing or any hardcore stuff, but the casual things? Which would be better?

This is going to be a great question to get back to once iOS 4.2 comes out ;)

At this very moment, I am also going back and forth between iPad and Macbook Pro.

My brain says MBP but my heart yearns for an iPad (w/ the keyboard dock).

Kyle Thomas

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you may want to do more then what the iPad can offer. I think your best bet is to save a little more and go with a Macbook or MB Pro.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Like many have already responded, they do different things. The iPad is cool, but I think of it as a media consumption device - you can view and experience things already developed - it's great for that... but not so much for creating anything. For that, I would strongly recommend a MacBook Pro (if you are at all mobile) or an iMac (if you have no need/desire to take your computer with you).

I've had iPods for years... but got my first iPhone (the 4) in June... since then, I have added an iPad and, most recently, a MacBook Pro... I tell people that I went from a hater to a fanboy in less than 6 months...

Back on topic, the best advice I could give you is for you to figure out exactly why you want the device - what do you want it to do for you... then pick the most appropriate device to meet your needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal