Back to that lack of camera on iPad thing...

drummersteve

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
So with new iPhone 4, and iOS4, bringing FaceTime, is anyone else again wondering why the iPad has no camera?

Given FaceTime is currently Wifi only, there would have been no complications between iPad models (Wifi and 3G). If the iPad IS claiming to be a true bridge between laptop and phone (note: both of which come standard with cameras now, in the case of Apple-related products anyway), it seems a slight oversight. As the iPad currently isn't a true replacement as a fully functional practical device for use with work, but more a device of pleasure/leisure, a camera is surely a must in this bracket of consumer devices these days?

The only reasons I can think for the lack of camera are:

1) Saving more for future models, but really?

2) Not wanting to trump the iPhone 4 release, which I doubt it would have done. Assuming FaceTime wasn't introduced until iOS4 for iPad, this wouldn't have been an issue...

I don't mean to complain, I love my ipad. But it seems a very silly oversight, especially when we've seen from photos there is a space for it!

Perhaps camera add on kits can be developed for use with skype, etc? Connecting via the USB thing on then bottom?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The only thing that makes Facetime work right now is its ease of use. You can't call anyone on an ipad and press a button.

Let this get "mainstreamed" and let it evolve a bit and you'll see it on ipad later with ichat or something.

drummersteve

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Presumably it's equally as easy to implement on the iPad due to lack of any other form of "calling". A simple facetime icon where a phone might be would do the trick. Anyhow, facetime being one of the features a camera could make use of. Cameras in devices these days are pretty standard. I just felt with the sheer amount of focus on camera-related gadgetry on the new phone, the lack of coma era-related gadgetry on the iPad seems completely backwards.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
The thing that annoys me about the camera is that Apple people (podcasters/fans) were so quick to claim that nobody wants to vidchat on an iPad, but if you ask people the coolest feature about the iPhone 4 then it's FaceTime. I guess some people won't accept a feature unless Jobs approves it to be cool.

Anyway, to me then the missing camera has become 100x bigger an issue now that the iPhone has it. Most people use their iPads indoors around WiFi so it seems natural to have FaceTime now. But as you said, they probably intentionally omitted the feature simply so it wouldn't trump the iPhone buzz. And for early adopters then that kinda sucks.

drummersteve

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I can't say I was all that fussed about a camera going into the purchase. But given their new phone, most innovative one yet, centres a lot of its marketing on the use of camera/facetime, it seems really stupid not to have included a front facing camera in the iPad for video chat use. Even in 3rd party apps like skype, taking photos in photo booth much like on all of the Macs.

Put it like this: imagine the exclusion of a camera in today's market on a laptop, or on a phone. Given the iPad is meant to be the best of both, excluding apples latest innovation on such a product seems ridiculous!

I'm also presuming it's technically very easy for them to implement a camera? In terms of space physically, battery, performance etc?

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm also presuming it's technically very easy for them to implement a camera? In terms of space physically, battery, performance etc?

Based on a few articles (that I can't link because I'm too new around here) the camera slot was already there because the internals already had a slot to put a webcam.

"The folks at Mission:Repair have received iPad replacement parts from Apple. While checking them out, they noticed a slot that seems like it could accommodate an iSight. So they pulled an iSight camera from a MacBook pro and guess what happened. It fit perfectly inside the slot in the iPad's frame. In the picture at right, you see the iPad's frame (above and below) and the MacBook Pro's iSight (center)."

I know we're early adopters blah blah blah but it still stings to think a feature was pulled because Apple was scared one product would cannibalize another product. C'mon, Apple. Don't you know your customers? We would've bought BOTH!

Last edited:

drummersteve

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't you know your customers? We would've bought BOTH!

Interestingly, I wasn't planning on getting new iPhone until I found out that O2 (UK) so a recycle scheme. I can sell my current 3G for more than I would spend on buying the new handset! So I'm checking stock updates regularly now haha.

How possible, hypothetically, would it be to custom install an iSight into an iPad, given ghe physical space needed is already there? I'm presuming the motherboard (or whatever the iPad has) dOesn't accommodate for a camera? Obviiously software can be rewritten farily easily, but if there is a physical space in the body and somewhere to connect on the mobo, this makes things interesting, maybe?...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro