iPad and trip to Europe!

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I just bought an iPad as a tool to bring to Europe rather than lugging a laptop. We are going to Ireland, Croatia and Italy in the middle of July.

My brother mentioned something that I had not thought of - the iPad has not been released everywhere yet and he heard that some countries do not let you bring them in as they do not want you to sell them. I did a quick google search and it look like the iPad goes on sale on 7/5/10 in Ireland and is already for sale in Italy (not sure about Croatia). So hopefully we will not have any trouble getting it in/out of the countries we visit. Anyone care to weigh in?

Also, I am on AT&T here. We bought a basic 16gb WiFi version (not really going to store music on the iPad (I have an iPhone for that). Also, the iphone is jailbroken with MiWi for tethering (so we did not need 3g). I digress. What do I need to know about roaming, etc. for internet access? I plan to go to cafes, hotels, etc for (hopefully free) wifi access but if we need to use 3g to go online, is it expensive? Can I buy a prepaid sim card? How does this work? I have never been out of the country so I am an international newbie :)....

Any advice is more than welcomed!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I wish I could add to your thread but I'm also travelling to Portugal in August and seriously contemplating taking the iPad instead of my MB Pro. So I will be watching this thread intently. Did you ask the Apple folks if the power adapter does switching? I've asked about my Macbook Pro and it does so all you will need is the prong connector and plug it right into the wall. If it doesn't do switching you have to get one of those universal converters.

f1l4

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You won't have any problem entering Croatia with iPad. You can't buy it here (will be available in few months) but it doesn't matter. Never heard of any problem with that. My iPad also came from US :)
This is yours device like iPhone or laptop and no problem with that.

You can buy prepaid sim card in local carrier stores (T-mobile, Vip and Tele2) and almost on every corner (where you can buy newspaper you can buy sim card, something like that). Of course your iPhone should be unlocked to accept other carrier's sim. The best place is carrier stores as they can tell you all about prices. Local iPhone carrier is T-mobile but I don't think this is important.

iPad power adapter is universal (probably all Apple's are) and works here. You just need adapter/connector to be able to plug it into the wall. It costs around 2$. Bought one for my iPad.

Have a nice time on holidays :)

Where are you going in Croatia?

Last edited:

MontanaVista

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nice!! I'll be going to Portugal in July! And I was also wondering if I would have any problems taking my iPad there.

Edit: Ahh, forgot this was my first post here!!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome Welcome are you going to the islands or the main land? my GF is Portuguese so we're going to visit her family.

MontanaVista

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll be mainland, down south in the Algarve. My family and I try to go every summer. If it's your first time, I hope you enjoy! :D

So, I'm just under the assumption that by purchasing an outlet adapter I should have no problems with my iPad in Europe...

Zoothoubcum

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Intresting facts

Health care or healthcare is the treatment and prevention of illness Health is the general condition of a person in all aspects As Americans struggle with the aftermath of the health care reform bill, and try to determine exactly what it means for themselves and their families Reliable medical information on common tabfield com]medications Healthcare and health insurance information Medicine information for consumers and health professionals

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2