How much 3G data per month have you used on your iPad?

How much 3G data does your iPad use per month?

• Total voters

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
How much 3G data per month have you used on your iPad?

If you've had it less than a month, then please estimate your usage by the end of the month.

I ask because AT&T apparently claims that most of their users consume less than 2GB per month (which they decided about while the 3G iPad was less than a monTh old, of course). I heard Rafe from CNET's Buzz Out Loud say that he used about 300MB or so. Those of us using them regularly, especially with Netflix, ABC, Dropbox, etc destroy that very quickly.

People here were saying they beat the 250MB (from the lower-priced plan) the first day. My experience was the same.

BUT the AT&T rep I just spoke to (a dude named "Theresa?") said that I consumed 5.5GB last month (fornsome reason, I can't view it on my own). At AT&T's coming rate for 3G data, ($25 for 2GB plus $10 for each additional GB) I would have had to pay $55 instead of the $30 I paid.

I'd like to see how other people's consumption stacks up against that 2GB cap.

Last edited:

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I currently have used a litle over 700MB, so if I stay on the same pattern, I'll be somewhere around 1.4GB. I don't stream much Netflix, ABC, etc. I do a lot of RDP, Dropbox downloads, email, and reading news with Early Edition. I occassionally use SlingPlayer, but not much. I do think as more apps are made more iPad friendly, i.e. Docs to Go, I'll use more data. Docs to Go for iPad was just updated in the last day or so and I'm already working on more docs from my dropbox storage.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I think they were saying that 98% of the smartphone owners use less than 2GB of data - not iPad.

I could be mistaken however.

potroast

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I do the ABC player, Netflix, AirVideo, email, web browsing, and IRC. I used 4.2gb of cellular data.

If they had made the cap 5gb, I wouldn't be mad. But 2gb? Now I have to keep the 29.99/mo unlimited plan or I won't be able to get it back. So much for being able to cancel and pick it back up again when I needed it. No real option to change plans, or to simply pay for what you use in tiers. :/

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I think they were saying that 98% of the smartphone owners use less than 2GB of data - not iPad.

Maybe you're right. If so, I wish AT&T would've left iPad users out of this change because since our needs apparently differ.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Data can be saved. People were saying they would only use 3G because they wanted to get their monies worth. People bragging about downloading 2 GB's worth of Podcast and saying "take that At&t". Those people are not saying the same anymore after Att is going to make a change. Those are reasons Att needs to make changes and most can adjust without a hiccup.

People just need to learn to use wifi when accesible. I have a wifi only iPad and I do just fine ;)

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Data can be saved. People were saying they would only use 3G because they wanted to get their monies worth. People bragging about downloading 2 GB's worth of Podcast and saying "take that At&t". Those people are not saying the same anymore after Att is going to make a change. Those are reasons Att needs to make changes and most can adjust without a hiccup.

People just need to learn to use wifi when accesible. I have a wifi only iPad and I do just fine ;)

That is one painfully over-simplified perspective.

They made a very significant change to 3G plans RIGHT after the iPad 3G was 30 days old. It's bad form all the way around. I have no doubt that this was in the works when the device debuted. They never should have taken it on if they were going to bait and switch us like this.

Also not everyone's needs mirror yours.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
That is one painfully over-simplified perspective.

They made a very significant change to 3G plans RIGHT after the iPad 3G was 30 days old. It's bad form all the way around. I have no doubt that this was in the works when the device debuted. They never should have taken it on if they were going to bait and switch us like this.

Also not everyone's needs mirror yours.

As I said... most can adjust. I never said everybody ;)

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't use AT&T, but I do tether with my Droid, and I've had my iPad for 4 days and used 950mb. Netflix works wonderfully too.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I only use 3G on the iPad as a last resort. I signed up for 250mbs and have used 121, admittedly all in one day. Pro rated per month, that is about 3.6G.

Last edited:

carlostg

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It is not how much 3G data per month I have used in my iPad, it is how much I will be allowed to consume... Apple should do defend their customers against AT&T.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I just tether using iphone mostly in car for web browsing. It's not much.

If i owned the ipad 3G, i'd get the 30 a month plan and keep that sucker auto renewing.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Data Usage

I've had my ipad for 7 days now and I've used 127MB of data. How would someone use only 250MB of data in a month is beyond me since I think I'm as light as a user as you get.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would attempt to resurrect this old one. If you'd like to change your earlier vote, please just say the new number in your post.

Here's what I said in a recent thread, which prompted me to bring this one back:

"I find this odd and annoying.

I have the unlimited data plan on my iPad 3G but can't view my data usage on the device or on AT&T's website (they confirm this). It is certainly not the end of the world, but I wondered if anyone else was annoyed or surprised by this.

I can call AT&T to find out how much data I used but I have to queue up and answer too many questions just to ask my one question. It's nice to know that my unlimited data plan is fully justified (it is, so far).

I used 4GB last month, I am told, and about half that so far this month. It sounds like I am saving about $20 or so per month by having the unlimited plan - and that's despite the fact that I use wifi instead of 3G whenever possible/I remember.

Maybe its time to start another thread asking iPad users how much data they use per month."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711