Anyone else having trouble charging?

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
For some reason it doesn't seem like my charger is working. It's been plugged in for 4 hours and went up 1%. Anyone else having this issue?

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, something is definately wrong. I charged mine all night last night and when I got up this morning its only at 14%.

I think I'm stopping by the Apple store this morning.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
are you going direct to usb in computer? If so, that is prob why...the USB port doesn't support enough power. Plug into wall and see if that works.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm using the wall. I even tried about five different outlets to see if my outlet was off or something.

Do you guys get a "ding" sound when you plug it in and its charging? I'm not getting a ding sound when I plug it in, but it slowly charges. It's almost like its USB charging, but I'm using the wall.

I'm going to take it into the Apple store today and ask for a new charger thingie.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went into the Apple store and went off.

I paid 800 for this thing and it won't charge so I can't use it. I love it, but if I can't charge it, I can't use it.

Much to my surprise, if you need customer service assistance, even for a product you purchased a few days ago that doesn't work now, you can't just walk into the store to ask for help. You have to make an appointment to talk to someone about a problem you are having with an Apple product.

LOL, I feel so sorry for the guy in that store. He told me he couldn't help me and I thought I was going to have a coronary.

Long story short, they made me purchase another charger for $30.00. They told me to take it home, test it, and if it's the charger that is not working and the new one does, to make a Genius Bar appointment, and they'll refund me the $30.00. I brought it home and plugged it in and the thing is charging fine - so it was the charger that was the problem.

On top of all that, they wouldn't cancel my online order (after I stood in line and was able to get an iPad) so now I have to go through this whole huge deal to return the one that's coming in the mail to me. My account still stays it hasn't shipped, but the online customer service says, "Oh it has shipped and we can't cancel it".

Omg guys, what is the DEAL with Apple's customer service? I have gotten nothing but more and more pissed off. It's a good thing the product is fantastic or I'd tell em to shove it where the sun don't shine at this point.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Well, I went into the Apple store and went off.

I paid 800 for this thing and it won't charge so I can't use it. I love it, but if I can't charge it, I can't use it.

Much to my surprise, if you need customer service assistance, even for a product you purchased a few days ago that doesn't work now, you can't just walk into the store to ask for help. You have to make an appointment to talk to someone about a problem you are having with an Apple product.

LOL, I feel so sorry for the guy in that store. He told me he couldn't help me and I thought I was going to have a coronary.

Long story short, they made me purchase another charger for $30.00. They told me to take it home, test it, and if it's the charger that is not working and the new one does, to make a Genius Bar appointment, and they'll refund me the $30.00. I brought it home and plugged it in and the thing is charging fine - so it was the charger that was the problem.

On top of all that, they wouldn't cancel my online order (after I stood in line and was able to get an iPad) so now I have to go through this whole huge deal to return the one that's coming in the mail to me. My account still stays it hasn't shipped, but the online customer service says, "Oh it has shipped and we can't cancel it".

Omg guys, what is the DEAL with Apple's customer service? I have gotten nothing but more and more pissed off. It's a good thing the product is fantastic or I'd tell em to shove it where the sun don't shine at this point.
Wow. I have gotten better service than that from Best Buy. Thanks for making me feel better about not having an Apple store here in Podunk, USA.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Wow. I have gotten better service than that from Best Buy. Thanks for making me feel better about not having an Apple store here in Podunk, USA.

Please....

I could walk into an Apple store today and have one of their employees kick my in the nuts and scream what do you want and it would still constitute better customer service than what you would receive at Best Buy. :D

While the whole "make an appointment" with the genius thing is annoying, it sounds like at the end of the day the OP walked into an Apple store and walked out with his problem resolved. As consumers we have to take some responsibility for knowing the returns and customer service policies before making a purchase.

Glad to OP was able to resolve his problem.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I usually get excellent customer service from Apple, but it seems they are not immune to growing pains. As Apple experiences more success, higher sales volumes, and crowded retail stores, I doubt the customer service is going to get any better -- it will, in fact, decline. It's definitely a huge challenge for any organization to handle their own success (how ironic), and unfortunately it seems that Apple is no different. Sometimes it depends on the person helping you. I don't know what your experience in the store was like, not having been there, but in my personal experience it's usually better to kill them with kindness unless they give me a reason to turn up the Nasty-O-Meter. Asking for a manager is usually helpful :)

70gsrick

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Just to add some color.. I've had the same slow charge problem with mine twice. both times I had run it down under 15%. Plugged it into it's charger overnight and it only went up a few %. It seems that after it hits 15% or so it charges real fast to the 100% but doesn't want to charge if you go too low.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Please....

I could walk into an Apple store today and have one of their employees kick my in the nuts and scream what do you want and it would still constitute better customer service than what you would receive at Best Buy. :D

While the whole "make an appointment" with the genius thing is annoying, it sounds like at the end of the day the OP walked into an Apple store and walked out with his problem resolved. As consumers we have to take some responsibility for knowing the returns and customer service policies before making a purchase.

Glad to OP was able to resolve his problem.

Whether the op knew this was Apple's policy from the beginning or not, that doesn't change the point that it is a raggedy policy.

A "Genius"ought to be able to diagnose/confirm a charging problem right there in the store, NOT require the purchases to buy a part then be reimbursed.

Hopefully the reimbursement part was their way of dealing with the situation right away...meaning that this would have been handled properly if an appointment had been made.

That would not change the sulkiness of having to make an appointment, but it would at least mean that this purchase/reimbursement situation is not their typical response.

czechmark

May 2, 2010
Visit site
My 64Gb WiFi version failed to charge after 10 days. In my case the display showed "Not Charging" no matter what I plugged into. I went on line and made an appointment at the local (Freehold, NJ) Apple Store and took the iPad, original box and everything that came with it back to the store.

They couldn't have been nicer after confirming that the unit was defective. They exchanged the entire package, reset the warranty and sent me out a happy customer. It took about 20 minutes.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
My 64Gb WiFi version failed to charge after 10 days. In my case the display showed "Not Charging" no matter what I plugged into. I went on line and made an appointment at the local (Freehold, NJ) Apple Store and took the iPad, original box and everything that came with it back to the store.

They couldn't have been nicer after confirming that the unit was defective. They exchanged the entire package, reset the warranty and sent me out a happy customer. It took about 20 minutes.
Excellent. How long was it between when you sat at your computer to set an appointment and the actual appointment time?

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, yeah, my deal was that I had no idea I had to make an appointment. I've never had to do that in my 30+ years of purchasing items in the American economy. If there is a problem, you go to the store, you stand in line, and you get your issue resolved. First come, first served. Making an appointment is something I have never heard of in regard to retail sales and support.

The reason they made me buy a new charger was because they didnt have an appointment available that I could make for another week. Faced with the inability to use my iPad for an entire week before they could meet with me...THAT sent me off the deep end. The poor guy could see I was about to flip my lid and immediately suggested that I just buy another charger, test it to see if that was the problem, and if it was, I could make an appointment for next week in order to get refunded.

I'm just thoroughly annoyed by the whole process, I guess. I mean come on. I just dropped 800 bucks on this thing and I can't even use it and your customer service people don't have time to deal with me, but have time to stand at the Apple store door and wait for the next person to enter? They are reserving their sales people for NEW sales..not people who have already spent their money with them. That bothers me alot. I had to pay ANOTHER $30.00 because of something that was not my fault...as the new charger is now working fine. I was up to 50% charge in about two hours.

Anyway, now I get to make a appointment to get my 30.00 bucks back. Hopefully that ends the problem. The other charger worked well for about 2 days before it stopped charging. Hopefully this one doesn't do that too.

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable or I am just annoyed in general cause I've had so many weird issues purchasing this thing..but man...I am annoyed!

Last edited:

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site

If possible you should buy an iPad from Best Buy cos they don't have a 10% restocking fee. In my case I had no choice, so I got it from the Apple Store.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
If possible you should buy an iPad from Best Buy cos they don't have a 10% restocking fee. In my case I had no choice, so I got it from the Apple Store.

That IS where I got them from, but they told us on opening say that the 15% restocking fee would apply. Oddly enough, they later said it did not apply...and later still, said that there was one but they would waive it...twice.

I've got my theories on that but the bottom line for me is that it makes me uneasy, which I don't think is the best strategy.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Whether the op knew this was Apple's policy from the beginning or not, that doesn't change the point that it is a raggedy policy.

Whether not the policy is "raggedy" or not is irrelevant. Like it or not that's the Apple Store's policy so consumers have to bear some responsibility for knowing the policies. In my opinion, if you are going to drop $800 on a product then you better know about the return and customer service policies. You don't have to memorize all of Apple's policies, but you should know some of the basics such as "if I have a problem with my ipad how do I go about getting it resolved"?

I'm not blasting the OP, he was simply ranting about a frustrating situation. I went through a similar experience when I bought my iphone and had an problem. And yes it was a surprise when I found out about the having to make an appointment with a genius, and yes I was pissed off and flippant with the Apple rep who explained the policy to me. But you know what....at the end of the day it was MY responsibility to understand Apple's policies if I was going to buy one of their products. If I was not comfortable with setting up an appointment with a genius, then I should have made my purchase elsewhere.

A "Genius"ought to be able to diagnose/confirm a charging problem right there in the store, NOT require the purchases to buy a part then be reimbursed.

Well Westman....unfortunately not everyone is as smart as your buddies from Best Buy. The few times I had problems with electronics purchased from Best Buy they had to send my computer and later my monitor to Dallas, Tx to diagnose the problem. That was a fun 2-3 weeks without my electronics. And guess what...they determined that the problem with my monitor was a bad power cable. You would think these Best Buy "genius" at BB would have been able to figure that out without forcing my to send my monitor to Texas!

At the very least the OP left the store with a solution to his problem. Was it a perfect solution? Nope. But thankfully his problem was resolved.

Not everyone can diagnose problematic electronics and come up with the answer in mere moments.

Sounds like we need to agree to disagree....

Last edited:

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
This is ridiculous.

You say the policy being raggedy is not the point but then you admit that you KNOW the op was just ranting, venting frustration. Then ehat the heck do you think the op was venting ABOUT?

Every manufacturer has their rabbid fans. Maybe I've been guilty of that, nyself, at times, but this defense of stupid policies, as if the quality of service is irreleavt and only the consumer's KNOWLEDGE about said policies matters, is like saying life's experiences don't matter as much as the facts we pick up along the way.

I mean, you even bring up my earlier Best Buy reference with a tone like you're some jealous lover.

Carry on if you must, but the op has a good point and all I was doing was supporting that point.
Whether not the policy is "raggedy" or not is irrelevant. Like it or not that's the Apple Store's policy so consumers have to bear some responsibility for knowing the policies. In my opinion, if you are going to drop $800 on a product then you better know about the return and customer service policies. You don't have to memorize all of Apple's policies, but you should know some of the basics such as "if I have a problem with my ipad how do I go about getting it resolved"?

I'm not blasting the OP, he was simply ranting about a frustrating situation. I went through a similar experience when I bought my iphone and had an problem. And yes it was a surprise when I found out about the having to make an appointment with a genius, and yes I was pissed off and flippant with the Apple rep who explained the policy to me. But you know what....at the end of the day it was MY responsibility to understand Apple's policies if I was going to buy one of their products. If I was not comfortable with setting up an appointment with a genius, then I should have made my purchase elsewhere.

Well Westman....unfortunately not everyone is as smart as your buddies from Best Buy. The few times I had problems with electronics purchased from Best Buy they had to send my computer and later my monitor to Dallas, Tx to diagnose the problem. That was a fun 2-3 weeks without my electronics. And guess what...they determined that the problem with my monitor was a bad power cable. You would think these Best Buy "genius" at BB would have been able to figure that out without forcing my to send my monitor to Texas!

At the very least the OP left the store with a solution to his problem. Was it a perfect solution? Nope. But thankfully his problem was resolved.

Not everyone can diagnose problematic electronics and come up with the answer in mere moments.

Sounds like we need to agree to disagree....

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
This is ridiculous.

You say the policy being raggedy is not the point but then you admit that you KNOW the op was just ranting, venting frustration. Then ehat the heck do you think the op was venting ABOUT?

Every manufacturer has their rabbid fans. Maybe I've been guilty of that, nyself, at times, but this defense of stupid policies, as if the quality of service is irreleavt and only the consumer's KNOWLEDGE about said policies matters, is like saying life's experiences don't matter as much as the facts we pick up along the way.

I mean, you even bring up my earlier Best Buy reference with a tone like you're some jealous lover.

Carry on if you must, but the op has a good point and all I was doing was supporting that point.

Apple's policy regarding making an appointment with a genius is a pain. It may be a terrible policy...but it is their policy. So if you elect to buy something from the Apple Store then you need to be an informed consumer. Anytime you buy a product from a retailer you are subject to their rules regarding how they handle customer service. Similarity it was my responsibility to understand Apple's rules before I forked over the cash to buy an iphone & ipad.

The OP is entitled to vent, but at the end of the day he/she has to assume some responsibility for knowing what happens if you drop $800 on an ipad and have a problem. The OP had to learn that lesson the hard way, and I had to learn the hard way. While my experience was frustrating, I simply chose to take some responsibility for not knowing how Apple does business.

Rather than blame Apple's "raggedy" policies I simply believe consumers should do their due diligence before buying a product. $800 is not a small chunk of change, so if I'm going to spend that type of money I better be comfortable with the retailer's rules regarding returns, exchanges, and problem resolutions. Evidently you would rather focus on blaming the retailer...that's your choice.

Sorry West3man...people from small towns who believe Best Buy represents the pinnacle of customer service generally aren't my type. ;)

Again....let's agree to disagree. I don't want to get this thread locked down because we have a fundamental difference regarding this topic.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR