Taking your iPad out in public?

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
Took my ipad to Best Buy over the weekend to find a bag to use for my upcoming trip. When I checked the ipad in at the door the two security guys had no clue what it was! The funny thing is they are standing directly in front of doors that say no ipads for sale here! The one security guy went to put a "checked in" sticker right on the screen of my ipad. Needless to say I quickly stopped him and told him there was no way he was sticking a sticker on my ipad he could put it on the sleeve which I had it in! Funny how a tech store doesn't know it's tech!

I am preparing to travel this coming weekend and will be taking the ipad along! (Whole reason I got one) I am curious to see how many people ask me or comment about the item to me. My response to anyone who wants to say it's a big iphone or ipod touch is....if you don't have one and haven't used one on an on going basis you have no clue what it is!

Calling Best Buy a "tech store" is a little overboard, at least in this area! ;)

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Took my ipad to Best Buy over the weekend to find a bag to use for my upcoming trip. When I checked the ipad in at the door the two security guys had no clue what it was! The funny thing is they are standing directly in front of doors that say no ipads for sale here! The one security guy went to put a "checked in" sticker right on the screen of my ipad. Needless to say I quickly stopped him and told him there was no way he was sticking a sticker on my ipad he could put it on the sleeve which I had it in! Funny how a tech store doesn't know it's tech!

I am preparing to travel this coming weekend and will be taking the ipad along! (Whole reason I got one) I am curious to see how many people ask me or comment about the item to me. My response to anyone who wants to say it's a big iphone or ipod touch is....if you don't have one and haven't used one on an on going basis you have no clue what it is!

It is just a big ipod touch though its an updated processor, OS update, and screen. I'm not sure how using one long term will change that.

I don't yet have the words to explain why using the device makes such a huge difference but it really seems to. Distinguishing it from an iPod touch would be tough, for me, since I have never owned one, but somehow this thing went from a device I poo-poo'ed to one that I never leave home without. The few times I have left it in my truck, I tend to regret it because I need it for one reason or another - sometimes due to AT&T's apparently superior (to Sprint's) signal penetration in my area.

Size really does seem to matter because surfing the web on my Pre is fine ... until it's not. Having a super-light, larger alternative is highly useful.

Propping it up to stream Netflix or ABC content while we work out in the fitness room is a FANTASTIC motivator. It keeps us in there longer and, as a result, helps us achieve our fitness goals.

The list goes on. And this is just what I tell strangers who ask about the iPad when I take it out in public...when this results in extended conversations, anyway.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I took mine to a family gathering on Mother's Day and was immediately surrounded. It was particularly fun to gather around and watch some YouTube videos we were interested in. This wouldn't have worked trying to watch them on my iPhone. Instead, I used the Apple case stand, set my iPad on the table, and entertained the masses ;)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't yet have the words to explain why using the device makes such a huge difference but it really seems to. Distinguishing it from an iPod touch would be tough, for me, since I have never owned one, but somehow this thing went from a device I poo-poo'ed to one that I never leave home without. The few times I have left it in my truck, I tend to regret it because I need it for one reason or another - sometimes due to AT&T's apparently superior (to Sprint's) signal penetration in my area.

Size really does seem to matter because surfing the web on my Pre is fine ... until it's not. Having a super-light, larger alternative is highly useful.

Propping it up to stream Netflix or ABC content while we work out in the fitness room is a FANTASTIC motivator. It keeps us in there longer and, as a result, helps us achieve our fitness goals.

The list goes on. And this is just what I tell strangers who ask about the iPad when I take it out in public...when this results in extended conversations, anyway.

I wrote several paragraphs yesterday trying to explain how dramatically this device has changed my life. When I re-read it, I decided that I owed the "big iPod Touch guys" nothing and discarded the effort. It serves them right that they will not enjoy an iPad.

hockeyb213

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I wrote several paragraphs yesterday trying to explain how dramatically this device has changed my life. When I re-read it, I decided that I owed the "big iPod Touch guys" nothing and discarded the effort. It serves them right that they will not enjoy an iPad.

Agreed. I just enjoy mine and really don't think much of what people think of me for having one.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

A big ipod touch is enjoyable and the best way to describe it. Don't be offended.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
My iPod touch biggie is awesome :). Here's how that conversation goes....

Retard: "Its just a big ipod touch"
Me "No its not"
Retard "Why not"
Me "it didn't come with headphones"

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if those people who say the iPad is "just an iPod Touch" even have an iPod Touch? If so, why do they say "just?" Wouldn't they say "Its a big iPod Touch, awesome?" Are there any iPod Touch owners without just a little iPad envy?

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I've taken it to the dentist a couple times, the carwash, and a coffee shop. In the Apple case, it's pretty discrete until you start using it. I haven't been particularly worried about theft. But mostly I leave it at home (where I also work)- I have an iPhone that goes everywhere with me, and the iPad doesn't fit in my pocket. So it either requires a hand, or else would have to carry some kind of bag with me.

Geiger#IM

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, how many of you have ventured outside the house with your 3G or WiFi? Where did you go? And what happened?

I am terrified to bring mine out of the house. I keep thinking about that guy who lost his pinky finger to someone who tried to steal it from him. I keep thinking I have 800.00 in my hands and one little mistake and it will all be ripped away from me.

Ahhhh - anyone else have this problem? Do you get mobbed by people wanting to touch it when you take it out?
Did they ever catch the pinky bandit?

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, the guy losing his pinky is not a legend. I saw him interviewed on NBC Houston News multiple times with his hand all bandaged up. His doctors were interviewed as well. I dont think the guy lives in Houston, but I could be wrong.

As far as catching the guy, it was also on the news briefly. They said something like, "Remember the guy who stole the iPad and the guys pinky finger along with it? Well authorities have located him and he is currently in jail awaiting a hearing...". I remember it was a african american guy, but they did not say how they tracked him down. They just said they caught him, found the iPad, and returned it to its owner.

I know the news doesn't usually fall for urban legends, but hey, its possible. They didn't show his face, or explain how police caught him, or even show the missing pinky guy holding his iPad again.

Oh and on topic - I've gotten much better about taking my ipad out in public. I took it when we went to have wings for dinner the other night...and I got surrounded lol. Everyone at work eyes it too. I don't let it out of my sight...even to go to the restroom...hahah..but I am taking it in public now.

Last edited:

MNofsinger

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I am sitting in a Starbucks right now having a large (I refuse to use their stupid sizes) and typing this using the free AT&T free wifi... I have already had two very attractive women come up to ask me about it. :)

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
MN... you sir, are a lucky man.

#1, my ONLY local starbucks is in a Target and I'm NOT going to hang out there...
#2, my local starbucks does not have wifi
#3, there are no attractive women where I live (except my wife if she's reading)
#4, see #1,2, and 3 again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73