Taking your iPad out in public?

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, how many of you have ventured outside the house with your 3G or WiFi? Where did you go? And what happened?

I am terrified to bring mine out of the house. I keep thinking about that guy who lost his pinky finger to someone who tried to steal it from him. I keep thinking I have 800.00 in my hands and one little mistake and it will all be ripped away from me.

Ahhhh - anyone else have this problem? Do you get mobbed by people wanting to touch it when you take it out?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hell ya. I took my brand spanking new 3G out last night to a restaurant/bar. I was hit up about 20 times. I found a corner at the bar and had dinner and drinks. I sat down for a mere 4 minutes before I had my first inquiry. Most assumed it was the wifi only version. A few noticed the black strip at the top and knew it was the 3G. I refused to let anyone hold it. I still have it naked and unprotected and I don't trust it in the hands of anyone else but me. But I did take requests. One guys asked to see Internet browsing. Another loved the iPod app. Most people were just stunned at what it was really capable of. I'd get a bit annoyed when hearing someone say that it's just a big iPod touch. And what can it do that my iPod touch can't....etc. All in all a good night. I'm taking it to work today and I know my coworkers are anxiously awaiting getting a good look. Some are waiting to see mine to decide if they are going to buy one themselves.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I got the old "but it's just a big iPhone" testament at work, until I started showing them a few things on it yesterday. I let a few people hold it, but I was quite nervous about them dropping it. I would say you'll be alright with it in public. I just wouldn't take it if you don't want to be pestered with people asking questions.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hell ya. I took my brand spanking new 3G out last night to a restaurant/bar. I was hit up about 20 times.

It just occured to me that this might be a great way for me to pick up guys ;)

(Note: Everyone on here thinks I'm a guy. No, I'm not gay..I'm just a chick :D)

I don't mind showing it to people, but due to the sheer cost of this thing, its going to take an act of courage for me to take it out somewhere besides the car, plane, office...

Last edited:

Fairoasis2

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I take mine out and about on a daily basis. I enjoy showing it off and letting other people see the iPad potential. I'm always situationally aware, so I always have a plan if someone gets cocky and thinks they are going to snatch and grab it.

Famousmortimer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I live in Brooklyn and I haven't taken it out in the subway yet, but I use it everywhere else. The thing I find most shocking are the folks who ask about it that have never heard of it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It just occured to me that this might be a great way for me to pick up guys ;)

(Note: Everyone on here thinks I'm a guy. No, I'm not gay..I'm just a chick :D)

I don't mind showing it to people, but due to the sheer cost of this thing, its going to take an act of courage for me to take it ot somewhere besides the car, plane, office...
It has always been my position that if I cannot share it, I probably cannot really afford it. As difficult as it will be, I will let children play with it.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I wonder if it will attract women... I may have to give it a try... ;)

Don't count on it...all my girlfriends think I'm a complete geek cause I stood in line at the apple store..hahaha. The guys, on the other hand, they grunt and nod alot.

Last edited:

Flagatorfan

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you Whmurray. I take mine to church and the kids love to flock around my five year old with it to play air hockey and the toy story read along books. I stay at the table with them, but I feel like it shouldn't just be me getting to have a little fun with the device.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
Well I brought mine to work but only to show my dispatcher as he is also an apple fan. I think i will use mine in public but then again I'm a cop and carry a weapon on me all time, usually visible so I'm not worried about someone trying to rob me. Not being conceited but the ones that would steal an iPad are not the types that would risk getting shot. Lol:D

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Brought mine while my wife and mom shopped in the outlets. Had 8 people come and ask "is that the iPad" , finally i just started showing them the back where it says iPad. Love this device.

happycamping

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Took my ipad to Best Buy over the weekend to find a bag to use for my upcoming trip. When I checked the ipad in at the door the two security guys had no clue what it was! The funny thing is they are standing directly in front of doors that say no ipads for sale here! The one security guy went to put a "checked in" sticker right on the screen of my ipad. Needless to say I quickly stopped him and told him there was no way he was sticking a sticker on my ipad he could put it on the sleeve which I had it in! Funny how a tech store doesn't know it's tech!

I am preparing to travel this coming weekend and will be taking the ipad along! (Whole reason I got one) I am curious to see how many people ask me or comment about the item to me. My response to anyone who wants to say it's a big iphone or ipod touch is....if you don't have one and haven't used one on an on going basis you have no clue what it is!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It is just a big ipod touch though its an updated processor, OS update, and screen. I'm not sure how using one long term will change that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro