Any iPad battery extenders out yet?

gopherhockey

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm going on a flight to Europe this week and realized I probably won't get 10 hours of battery when playing movies on my iPad. I've seen battery extenders for the iPhone, do any of these work on the iPad or does anyone have any info on other devices?

I know how to best manage the battery life, what I'm looking for is hardware that can boost the battery life.

(unfortunately this time I won't be in business class, so no plugging in)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm going on a flight to Europe this week and realized I probably won't get 10 hours of battery when playing movies on my iPad. I've seen battery extenders for the iPhone, do any of these work on the iPad or does anyone have any info on other devices?

I know how to best manage the battery life, what I'm looking for is hardware that can boost the battery life.

(unfortunately this time I won't be in business class, so no plugging in)

Any battery pack with a USB out, e.g., TekCharge, ought to work. However, the iPad battery is so big that 1600 mah is not likely to make a big difference. The TekCharge will use AA alkalines so you can take a few dozen.

In the event that you must rely on the internal battery, we would appreciate a report on whether or not it lasted the whole trip.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I'd also be very interested if the TekCharge works.

And I'm sure that someone somewhere is designing a battery case...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I got a Sparq shortly after they first came out. Used one of the nice discounts they often give (I have a 40% coupon right now if you need it before the end of May when it expires). They had some problems with some of the first batch, and offered everyone who'd purchased one an exchange for the 2nd generation model. So right now I'm using the original and waiting for the new ones to become available so they'll change them out. I never had any problems...but I didn't want to take the chance!

james048a

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have the Xpal Power XP18000 which is a 1800mah but it will not charge the Ipad. Ipad says not charging. When i looked at the Usb output on the battiery it is rated 5v+1000ma which is 1amp the Ipad needs 2amp to charge, if you look at the output on the power adaptor for ipad it is 5v 2amp. So if you guys are looking around, please check to make sure it is 5v 2amp/2000ma or it most likely wont work.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have the Xpal Power XP18000 which is a 1800mah but it will not charge the Ipad. Ipad says not charging. When i looked at the Usb output on the battiery it is rated 5v+1000ma which is 1amp the Ipad needs 2amp to charge, if you look at the output on the power adaptor for ipad it is 5v 2amp. So if you guys are looking around, please check to make sure it is 5v 2amp/2000ma or it most likely wont work.
Does this mean that I must have special car and airplane chargers for the iPad?

NGC007

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

You can't possibly be planning on keeping the thing turned on for the whole trip! I mean you gotta eat, pee and probably sleep a bit and all that takes up a couple of hours so I'm sure if you charge it before you go it will last the rest.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You can't possibly be planning on keeping the thing turned on for the whole trip! I mean you gotta eat, pee and probably sleep a bit and all that takes up a couple of hours so I'm sure if you charge it before you go it will last the rest.
At least one reviewer (Pogue?) reported continuous movies for more than ten hours with brightness at the default setting.

I would really be more worried about seat size than battery life. I have found that my computer use is a function of seat size; the bigger the seat, the more I use the computer.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm playing with right now and it is amazing!!! Not as big or as heavy as i thought... ;)
Sparq? If one had four, one could recharge and iPad. I assume that one would keep it always between the source and the iPad as I keep my Solo between the source and my iPhone.

I notice that with a 12v source, I have to keep it there or the iPhone will not charge.

Last edited:

james048a

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Does this mean that I must have special car and airplane chargers for the iPad?

Unless your adaptor is rated at 2amp/2000ma like the one provide with the ipad it will not charge it. I have read that people have trouble charging from there USB on the computer because the power rating. I tried using my car charger for my iphone but it did not work. I have read that the companies that make aftermarket chargers are creating new versions to handle the ipad power draw.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Unless your adaptor is rated at 2amp/2000ma like the one provide with the ipad it will not charge it. I have read that people have trouble charging from there USB on the computer because the power rating. I tried using my car charger for my iphone but it did not work. I have read that the companies that make aftermarket chargers are creating new versions to handle the ipad power draw.
So, the short answer to my question is, "yes."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal