Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

3 Posts

Default Ipad 3G questions

I am thinking of taking the plunge (and making my wife wait in line next week!) and purchasing an Ipad 3g. I can't seem to find answers to a couple of questions I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Will the 3G also be able to do wifi as well or do you have to choose one model over the other?

2) If the 3G unit can not pick up the 3G signal, will it attempt to connect via the Edge network (as my iPhone does in remote areas).

iPhone Nanite

2 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Just like the iPhone, you'll be able to switch between wifi or 3G. I would guess the same connection protocols will apply as well. If it could not pull edge the 3G would contantly fail depending on where you were and you would not be able to connect at all. At least that was the case with my data when I had att iPhone.
    iMore Expert

885 Posts
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts

exactly. you can switch between wifi and 3G...if you look it up online it shows as WiFi+3G I believe.
    iPhone Intermediate

136 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

I would check to see how good the AT&T 3G coverage is in your area. You may want to opt for a WiFi iPad and get a MiFi from either Sprint or Verizon.