16, 32, or 64?

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently working on earning an iPad, and can't wait to get it! My questions is, what effect does the amount of memory have? Is it just storage, or does it affect speed too? Is 16GB enough? I probably won't have tons of movies, etc. on it. Right now I have an 8GB iPod with some movies, photos, etc. on it, and it's only half-full. So I'm thinking 16 GB is probably fine for me, if it's just a matter of storage.

Thoughts?

xpunksbeendeadx

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem deciding what size iPad I want. Realistically I won't have that much media on it and most apps use little memory or rely on internet connections. I think for the first time I might not max out on memory but get a comfortable 32GB.

jervis961

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I went with the 32GB. My iPhone is 16GB and has room to spare but I plan on doing more with the iPad. I quickly used up 18GB with photos, videos and apps and plan to use the remaining space for photos while on vacations.

iamfudge

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem deciding what size iPad I want. Realistically I won't have that much media on it and most apps use little memory or rely on internet connections. I think for the first time I might not max out on memory but get a comfortable 32GB.

How much space do you have on your 32GB iPhone? I didn't even have my 16 full, so I went with the 16 iPad. Movies do take up more space, but you can always sync and add or remove those.

xpunksbeendeadx

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
I have about 5 gigs free on my iPhone but I'm a DJ so I carry a lot of music around with me. I don't think I'll be needing that much space on my iPad because I won't need to store a lot of music on it for listening in the car or walking to class. The biggest use of space would be probably be devoted to movies. Then again with Netflix streaming how much space will I actually need to devote to movies?

The iPad is the first device I will have where it is feasible that most of the information I use and receive will be from the cloud.

iPadzilla

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to hold out on buying one but I finally caved on Friday. The two store I called only had the 64GB in stock so that made my decision easy!

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I'm thinking 32G 3G, but I don't want to regret not getting the 64....

It'sjust the cost of the ipad & all the accessories is going to add up...

combatdoc

Dec 13, 2008
www.ffpblog.com
I went with 64GB 3G (if it ever arrives). Why? The cost was only $100 for double the space. Why not max out since that was the most cost effective option and I know I won't be running out of space etc.

xpunksbeendeadx

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
I went with 64GB 3G (if it ever arrives). Why? The cost was only $100 for double the space. Why not max out since that was the most cost effective option and I know I won't be running out of space etc.

Haha that's usually my mentality too but I've entered the poor college student phase of my life and as a result am rethinking a lot of my mantra's relating to the spending of money.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
16 GB has been enough for me. If your 8 GB iPhone isn't even half full, you probably won't be the type who easily fills your iPad. I'm with you on the poor college student mentality. I say save the money and go with the 16 GB.

Flagatorfan

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the 32 GB on launch day and just returned it today for the 64 GB. I don't have an iphone, so I wasn't sure about space, plus the best buy guy told me that apps are kbs, not mbs. So why did I return it? I found that the best buy guy was right when it came to iphone apps, however when you download the ipad specific apps, they are much much larger. I filled 4 GB in one week without loading any media on the phone. Just apps. So since you are doubling memory for 1/5th the price increase, I say go for the 64 GB.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I bought the 64 GB because the Apple store I went to was sold out of the rest and I didn't feel like waiting any longer. :D

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I am more and more tempted by the 64 GB model. I currently have the 32 GB model with the wifi issues.

Someone here surprised me by saying that they exchanged an iPad with wifi issues for another unit and the new one was free of wifi issues. Maybe I will exchange this one for the 64 GB model.

And, believe it or not, I am now tempted by the 3G model. I wouldn't want to pay on a contract, every damned month, but on a cases by case basis I might decide to get myself a bunch of bandwidth for wherever I am.

Unbelievable. I wasn't even going to buy a damned iPad and here I am considering the absolute most fugging exPENsive model there will be (this year, anyway).

Reactions: BriDroid

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My thought on that was, if i wasn't getting the 16, then go to 64. The 32 wasn't really an option.

100 dollars for 16 more? Or 200 for 48gb more?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I figured I would never fill up my 32GB iPhone, yet sure enough, it's almost full. Sure, you can go with less memory and manually manage the movies, music and other stuff you want to take with you. For me, it's best to have all the memory I can get so I can worry less about hitting a wall.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I figured I would never fill up my 32GB iPhone, yet sure enough, it's almost full. Sure, you can go with less memory and manually manage the movies, music and other stuff you want to take with you. For me, it's best to have all the memory I can get so I can worry less about hitting a wall.

I agree with you Ibri....I want to minimize the amount of micro managing of my Ipad. For me 64 gigs is the way to go. :D

Reactions: BriDroid

BRiphone

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a 16gb iPhone and knowing that I am half way on that I opted for the 32gb iPad. I am about half full on the iPad after 3 days. The only thing I have downloaded are apps, contacts, and music. I know I will get a new iPad next year when the 2gen's come out, so this will suffice for now. It's true what one person wrote about most apps for the iPad being a mb or 2, but I think Elements was a little over a 1gb. We all know there will be more apps that will require more and more space.

On a side note: I reformatted all my music to 128kbps (iTunes/ when you sync up your phone/pad) and was able to save more then 3gb on my phone and pad.

IMHO, I wouldn't get anything less then a 32gb, especially, if you're planning on having your ipad for some time to come.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711