Until you use an iPad.....

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
While you can't compare the two, the iPad is definitely beyond a BIG iPod touch.

The experience you get when using the iPad for surfing the web is something that cannot be described. You have to literally sit in your fav spot on the couch for a night and let it all sink in.

Don't be naive, this is a new form of technology, people. A new way we do things, an easier and more elegant way. Nobody is forcing you to buy an iPad...just don't insult it if you haven't fully played with one yet.

Trust me. I was a naysayer when it was first announced now I can't believe I almost didn't pre order one.

Great post! I haven't purchased one yet but I am going to asap when the funds hit my account on the 15th haha! I was a hater on the iPad at first because I thought it was a big iTouch. It is NOT! Once I played with it at an Apple store I was in awe. I really wanted to buy it that moment but knew I should wait and it was hard to walk away haha. It truely is an amazing device that runs excellent and makes it easy and fun for the user! Way to go again Apple.

With iPhone 4.0 coming out soon the iPad will be even better one can only assume. I am anxious for this Thursday thats for sure!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Great post! I haven't purchased one yet but I am going to asap when the funds hit my account on the 15th haha! I was a hater on the iPad at first because I thought it was a big iTouch. It is NOT! Once I played with it at an Apple store I was in awe. I really wanted to buy it that moment but knew I should wait and it was hard to walk away haha. It truely is an amazing device that runs excellent and makes it easy and fun for the user! Way to go again Apple.

With iPhone 4.0 coming out soon the iPad will be even better one can only assume. I am anxious for this Thursday thats for sure!

So by running excellent and being easy and fun for the user it's more than a big iPod Touch?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Holy ****ing **** people. Would you rather watch a 27" tube tv or a big screen plasma HDTV? That's what it is like going from an iPod or an iPhone to an iPad. Get it through your thick skulls. :rolleyes:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Maybe the iPod Touch isn't an iPod Touch at all... but instead, it's just a tiny iPad ;)

That's good. ;)

I prefer to watch movies on my 46" screen.

I still don't get it, so the screen is bigger...it doesn't fit in my pocket so I'm not going to carry it around. I guess if I carried a bag it would be different, maybe.

Last edited:

RKMichael

Mar 18, 2010
ipodrepairblog.com
multi-tasking

Here is a good example.

I was listening to a podcast while surfing this forum. Then I saw the thread about the iPad installed in someone's truck. I clicked the thread, saw a video, then wanted to pause the podcast. I had to leave the browser, go to the homescreen, go to theiPod app, pause the podcast, then return and play the video. That was kind of a pain.

With true multitasking, I could've switched between cards or windows or accessed a dashboard function much more quickly and easily.

Just an example.

YES! That is almost the exact example I was thinking of when I posed the question!

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I wasn't sure if I wanted one or not, but I took the leap yesterday afternoon and I'm glad I did. It is an experience that's difficult to explain, but I agree that it's not simply a bigger iPhone or iPod Touch. Very nice.

Where do I see myself using it? At home when I'm in the living room, in the car as a passenger on trips, in the hotel room... there are plenty of opportunities. For example, I currently use my iPhone to look up info on IMDb, but the bigger screen of the iPad is so much nicer for browsing info like that. I could always just use my iPhone, sure, but when screen size matters, I will use the iPad. When portability matters more, I will use the iPhone. Additionally, the iPhone goes everywhere with me, and the iPad will be with me only as needed. It's just a different beast for different purposes.

Something I found interesting... I was concerned that the iPhone wouldn't seem important enough to keep after messing with the iPad, especially considering the huge difference in screen sizes, but in reality I find that the iPhone is still a very capable and useful tool in conjunction with the iPad. The size of the iPhone is just right, and since it is effectively as powerful as the iPad, it's still an amazing device.

So, I'm glad I went for it. And I'm glad I went after the weekend... no crowds to fight.

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Originally Posted by dcsatt
The only thing similar between the iPad and an iPod Touch is the user interface.
A Ferrari has the same user interface (gas, brake, clutch, and steering wheel) as a Ford Focus, but they're completely different machines ? otherwise incomparable.
Same with the iPad vis-a-vis iPod Touch."

The experience is completely different and not a lot of naysayers will know that unless one physically plays with this device for a bit.

Usually when people have told me the iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch... It's somewhat been directed in a negative form and in a tone of "why should I waste my money, it's nothing new" ?

It's much more than a bigger screen, to me at least. It really feels like cutting edge new technology that I'm not used to having. This to me is fascinating. Upgrading to a 55inch LCD from a 32inch plasma while nice, is no innovation.

Having such a thin yet sharp screen right on my lap is beyond the definition of an oversized iPod touch.. Even though it's essential just that! Overall, this magical feeling that I have experienced is Really difficult to explain unless you held an iPad in your hands and gave it a good test drive.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I guess it's just perspective then. When I played with it at Best Buy yes I admit it was "cool" and the screen awesome. But after having used the iPhone for almost 3 years now too me it brings nothing new to the table other than having a bigger screen. And for me the fact that it really cannot stand alone without iTunes is what relegates it to being a big iPod Touch.

Right now for me at least it doesn't fill a roll that I have empty. And $500 to watch movies, browse the web, play games, listen to music, etc. on a bigger screen while on a plane, subway, car ride, in a waiting room is something I'm right now going to be spending. Especially like I've said for a long time, my iPhone does all those things and fits in my pocket. Even on the couch it would obviously be nicer to have the bigger screen and my iPhone has mostly taken over my couch internet use from my laptop. But again, $500 to browse the web on a big screen...don't need it. That's all I would use it for in my house, as said above on my couch there is a 46" TV on the wall. I'm never going sit and watch a Netflix movie on something else, I already stream Netflix movies from my Xbox to the TV.

For me the iPad should be doing a lot more. I can't quite put my finger on it. But it needs to be untethered from iTunes and my laptop. It should probably be running the same iTunes I see on my laptop and streaming content wirelessly from my laptop with iTunes. I just wasn't wowed by a big version of a 3 year old device I guess.

I will certainly be watching where this goes. But right now, when I pick one up; no matter how awesome, engaging, and pretty everything looks on that big screen, I just see a bigger version of what I already carry around in my pocket every day. Hopefully someday Steve will convince me otherwise. I'm a gadget guy too and I'm surprised I am not more into this thing.

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Its a fun "more space" to do what you already do on your iPhone type of device. Not a workhorse productivity get stuff done type of device. PLUS it makes a great steering wheel for the racing games (thats my personal enjoyment)!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Don't come and post how awful it is. This thing is incredible at doing what it was meant to do (browsing, media, apps, books).

The iPad is going to make the iPhone look like it was nothing.

iPad is nice but you cant just stick it in your pocket and go like the iPhone. You cant compare the two as they are different beasts ;)

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Its a fun "more space" to do what you already do on your iPhone type of device. Not a workhorse productivity get stuff done type of device. PLUS it makes a great steering wheel for the racing games (thats my personal enjoyment)!

I have to differ on the productivity. I installed LogMeIn and remoted to my office computer and servers. It's MUCH better than remoting in using my iPhone. Working on documents in Pages and Documents to Go is much easier on the larger screen. I usually carry a laptop, but the instant on makes the device much easier to use. Even with my laptop, I would generally use LogMeIn of GoToMyPc since 3G tethering is slow compared to WiFi. By using these tools, you get the application speed from the host computer since the only thing being sent is screen shots. So, I tether the iPad (or use a ClearWire Mobile Hotspot), then launch LogMeIn and it's like sitting at my desk.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I have to differ on the productivity. I installed LogMeIn and remoted to my office computer and servers. It's MUCH better than remoting in using my iPhone. Working on documents in Pages and Documents to Go is much easier on the larger screen. I usually carry a laptop, but the instant on makes the device much easier to use. Even with my laptop, I would generally use LogMeIn of GoToMyPc since 3G tethering is slow compared to WiFi. By using these tools, you get the application speed from the host computer since the only thing being sent is screen shots. So, I tether the iPad (or use a ClearWire Mobile Hotspot), then launch LogMeIn and it's like sitting at my desk.

I'm looking forward to trying out LogMeIn. I plan on pushing my iPad to the max regarding productivity and work. I really am going to see how often I can use my iPad in place of my MBP. It should be fun!

ColbyM#AC

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Windows based tablets have been around for years, but they never seemed to catch on with anything but select business markets (medical, manufacturing, etc),QUOTE]

Completely true. My dad is a surgeon and his workplace supplied him with a tablet running Windows XP Tablet Edition. (Never heard of this version of XP until I saw it on this tablet)

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Yep. Windows based tablets have been around for years, but they never seemed to catch on with anything but select business markets (medical, manufacturing, etc),QUOTE]

Completely true. My dad is a surgeon and his workplace supplied him with a tablet running Windows XP Tablet Edition. (Never heard of this version of XP until I saw it on this tablet)

I suspect that Windows XP Tablet Edition offers up some tweaking specific to the tablet medium, but I think where other tablets fall short and where the iPad will succeed is the interface -- a tablet PC is still running Windows, thus Windows OS is being "squished" into a tablet design and, in my opinion, is still clunky and awkward to use, much like a netbook is all fine and dandy to have for its smaller size but the OS is still ill-designed for use on a smaller device. The iPad offers up a finger-friendly OS that iPhone users in particular are extremely comfortable with and the instant-on/instant-off feature is a tremendous plus. It won't be long until doctors and other professionals are carrying iPads in lieu of other tablet alternatives.

RKMichael

Mar 18, 2010
ipodrepairblog.com
OS

Yes that is true but at the same time the iPad is runnign an OS that was designed for much smaller device...just trying to play devil's advocate on that one...

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Ok, Mr. Devil's Advocate ;) Yes, the iPhone OS is made for a smaller device (likely explaining the miles of real estate between app icons on the iPad). I suppose the beauty of the iPad is an elegant form factor, usability, portability, and an OS powerful enough to take care of the day-to-day tasks you may have, including some light (possibly even heavy) word processing, spreadsheets, and even presentations. I still scratch my head when people think it's not capable of being a business device. I aim to prove them wrong! Bwah-hahahaha!

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Those are some fair points (from what I skimmed).

The iTunes-dependency is a giant pain. I suppose it is not absolutely necessary unless you want your podcasts automatically downloaded and that sort of thing.

Of course, I still haven't figured out how to set up contacts and calendar (ie. using them with my Google contacts and calendars). Maybe that requires syncing with iTunes. Dunno.

I guess it's just perspective then. When I played with it at Best Buy yes I admit it was "cool" and the screen awesome. But after having used the iPhone for almost 3 years now too me it brings nothing new to the table other than having a bigger screen. And for me the fact that it really cannot stand alone without iTunes is what relegates it to being a big iPod Touch.

Right now for me at least it doesn't fill a roll that I have empty. And $500 to watch movies, browse the web, play games, listen to music, etc. on a bigger screen while on a plane, subway, car ride, in a waiting room is something I'm right now going to be spending. Especially like I've said for a long time, my iPhone does all those things and fits in my pocket. Even on the couch it would obviously be nicer to have the bigger screen and my iPhone has mostly taken over my couch internet use from my laptop. But again, $500 to browse the web on a big screen...don't need it. That's all I would use it for in my house, as said above on my couch there is a 46" TV on the wall. I'm never going sit and watch a Netflix movie on something else, I already stream Netflix movies from my Xbox to the TV.

For me the iPad should be doing a lot more. I can't quite put my finger on it. But it needs to be untethered from iTunes and my laptop. It should probably be running the same iTunes I see on my laptop and streaming content wirelessly from my laptop with iTunes. I just wasn't wowed by a big version of a 3 year old device I guess.

I will certainly be watching where this goes. But right now, when I pick one up; no matter how awesome, engaging, and pretty everything looks on that big screen, I just see a bigger version of what I already carry around in my pocket every day. Hopefully someday Steve will convince me otherwise. I'm a gadget guy too and I'm surprised I am not more into this thing.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner