Very very disappointed in resolution in 2x

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Let me start off by saying that I love my new ipad. To sum it up in one word, AWESOME!!

However as others have mentioned already, the native iPhone/iPod touch apps magnified in 2x is absolutely terrible!!! I am 100% certain that Apple Could of made the 2x a bit smoother but instead we're left with choppy/blocky resolution of a native app on 2x mode so eventually we will have to upgrade to it's ipad version and B U Y the app all over again!!! Errrr.

How can they sit there at the keynote in Jan and brag about how smooth and clear the apps run on 2x mode when it looks this bad?

I'm very disappointed in this, guys :(

Dracoir

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
2X

Let me start off by saying that I love my new ipad. To sum it up in one word, AWESOME!!

However as others have mentioned already, the native iPhone/iPod touch apps magnified in 2x is absolutely terrible!!! I am 100% certain that Apple Could of made the 2x a bit smoother but instead we're left with choppy/blocky resolution of a native app on 2x mode so eventually we will have to upgrade to it's ipad version and B U Y the app all over again!!! Errrr.

How can they sit there at the keynote in Jan and brag about how smooth and clear the apps run on 2x mode when it looks this bad?

I'm very disappointed in this, guys :(

Gino,

It's really up to the developers to give you a good experience in the "2X" mode on your iPad, rather than Apple.

I hate to sound like an evanglist, but the developers can upgrade the iPhone app to look better in 2X mode.

As far as the pricing goes for the iPad version, if you already own the iPhone version, I would guess that'd be up to the developers as well.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
When speaking of the iPhone & iPad, universal binary applications contain code that will allow it to run natively on both the iPhone (and iPod Touch) and the iPad. In other words, universal binary applications on the iPad won't be upscaled versions of iPhone apps. They will be native apps with new layouts and features.

As a result, you will find three types of iPad apps in the AppStore now:

1. iPhone apps that will run on the iPad by upscaling the application's screens,
2. iPhone/iPad universal binary apps that will run on the iPad without upscaling because they display iPad formatted screens and controls, and
3. iPad only apps that will run on the iPad without upscaling.

Universal binary apps are marked with a gray plus when browsing the AppStore via iTunes.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Sadly I'll be waiting until the end of the month to see how apps look on my 3G iPad, but it's my understanding that the binary apps should work well on either platform.

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to believe more people are not making a bigger fuss over this... I was looking forward to seeing all my favorite apps get magnified into 2x to fit this beautiful screen and now essentially my iPhone apps on the iPad are as good as ruined.

I really hope enough noise about this is made because if the developer to your favorite app isn't really aware of how crappy his or her app looks on the iPad in 2x mode... You won't be seeing any improvements anytime soon. Or maybe his/her standards might not be as high as mine in terms of resolution and could possibly even feel it's...dare I say... Good enough the way it is!! Or just plain lazy.

In the meantime, it's really painful to view my native iPhone apps in 2x mode- particularly, the ones I paid good money for.

Sad.

skirsk

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm just the opposite in that I can't believe people didn't expect this. It was stated by people who had reviewed it ahead of time that this was the case. Also, you are asking to double the size of what (for non binary apps) was written as its maximum size to being with. Just like with a photo, it will lose resolution. Some app makers are going back and rewriting an iPad version of their app to change resolution while others are writing new apps with expanded functionality. Some are giving the iPad version away with the purchase of the phone version, while others are charging for it.

While I would love for every one of them to do it, it is by no means their obligation to rewrite their software for me to use on a different device other than the one I purchased it for and for which it was written, shared system or not. Steve Jobs wants you to think everything will be roses and rainbows in the fact that the iPad WILL play your iPhones apps, BUT, you did not purchase iPhone apps for your iPad when you bought them originally. So to automatically decide making noise should somehow guilt developers into building you a new piece of software so you can use it somewhere other than it was originally made for and for which you bought it, is stretching it. If you felt mislead that they were all going to work and look pristine on the iPad, then that's a different issue and one you have with Apple or Steve Jobs.

Either way, I think more and more app companies will continue making a new versions of their previous apps, it will just take a little time. Stuff tends to get more and more ironed out after release. App revisions, bug fixes, new features. Just don't expect them all to be free though. Here's to us all getting what we want. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox