WiFi iPad - no GPS!

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I just discovered that the WiFi iPad does not contain a GPS. I was anticipating my purchase but this changes things for me. I don't want another 3G service agreement, but I do want GPS on my iPad.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I just discovered that the WiFi iPad does not contain a GPS. I was anticipating my purchase but this changes things for me. I don't want another 3G service agreement, but I do want GPS on my iPad.

GPS is one of the reasons I'm waiting for a 3G iPad ("late April"... ugh!). The nice thing about using 3G is you don't have to worry about a service contract. It is month-to-month only. So, if you are travelling and have a specific need for 3G, just activate it with AT&T right from your iPad. Deactivate it once you no longer need it and just pay for the month of use. :)

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
If it's that important you to you, buy the 3G version and don't pay for service.

I'm just curious though, why do you find GPS so necessary if you can only use with wifi? I find the GPS in my iPhone helpful when I'm out and about or driving. So if I didn't have 3G service, the GPS wouldn't even be helpful.

Last edited:

jonavillicana

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
if you have GPS on the iPad with no 3G service then its useless .. You are not going to be connected to the internet 24 7 with WI-FI so maps wont have the maps because there not stored on the ipad .If you want GPS that bad give Tom Tom a month for them to release a app and a adapter for GPS like they did with the iPod touch !! Hs anyone noticed there's pretty much no one in this forum?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
If I buy the 3G version and not pay for service, will I be able to still use the GPS? I guess my question is....will the GPS require 3G service to work?

I would love to use the large screen with a decent GPS program when traveling.

My hope is that Apple would put a GPS functionality into to the next WiFi version so that I can take it on the road!

Thanks for the replies.

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
if you have GPS on the iPad with no 3G service then its useless .. You are not going to be connected to the internet 24 7 with WI-FI so maps wont have the maps because there not stored on the ipad .If you want GPS that bad give Tom Tom a month for them to release a app and a adapter for GPS like they did with the iPod touch !! Hs anyone noticed there's pretty much no one in this forum?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I would work to download maps onto the 64 Gb version and not depend on online maps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods