Upcoming competition to apple ipad

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally don't see any of these devices really taking off. Especially right now, it's going to be very difficult to convince huge numbers of people they need a device that is between their smart phone and computer at these price points. I'm not even a fan of netbooks at all and I would get one of those over any of these if I needed such a product.

Most of my friends are not into tech like me and they ask me all the time what they should get. The buzz for the iPhone was huge in 2007, everyone knew about it. The buzz on these tablets is very poor, even my non-tech friends make fun of them all the time. And everyone that has asked me so far about the iPad always has the exact same question; why would I buy that when I already have my new smart phone? My friends with iPhones really seem to be the group that is the least interested in the iPad.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The biggest difference between Apple and other hardware manufactures is that Apple tends to make a more reliable products. If it wasn't for the fact that Apple seemingly releases a new versions for most of their products every year, a person wouldn't need to upgrade their macbooks, iphones, etc. For this reason, the whole Windows 7 on a tablet is inconsequential.

Apple devices are built to last much longer than their of-the-shelf PC counterparts. HP, Gateway, Dell and the rest have crap for quality control. I find the only good quality PC is the one I build myself. Too bad I can't build my own notebook/tablet.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't see what that has to do with the tablet. The iPhone isn't any more/less reliable than any other phone.

Anyway a PC can last just as long. Most PC makers add new stuff every few months, Apple once a year. My 7 year old Dell Insprion 8500 runs/works fine. My 2 year old Vostro has one of the bad batches of video cards from nvidia, nothing Dell could do. But to make it right I now have a lifetime warranty on it. They all have the same components, Apple may use custom motherboards but they are getting their components from the same suppliers. Intel, Nvidia, and they just rebrand RAM that they buy from OEM RAM makers.

I'd wager the "problem" with most PCs isn't the PC at all, it's the users. They get loaded up with bloatware and all kinds of crap that bogs them down. They get slower and slower and people think their PC is just dying and just buy a new one instead.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The success of computing devices depends upon applications. What competitor to the iPad is going to come to market with tens of thousands of purpose-built applications, a purpose built browser, and a mature purpose built operating system? "Its the Software, stupid."

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't see what that has to do with the tablet. The iPhone isn't any more/less reliable than any other phone.

My comment had to do with Justino's Windows mobile 7 tablet comment.

They all have the same components, Apple may use custom motherboards but they are getting their components from the same suppliers.

That's not a very accurate statement. The difference in capacitor design alone can the determining factor whether a motherboard fails within the first couple of years. Power supplies are another factor. Not all 500 watt power supplies are created equal. Speaking of which, off-the-shelf PCs are notorious for being outfitted with underrated power supplies. Not all RAM is created equal either.

Apple has had a few duds, but overall their hardware is superior to any PC manufacture's.

I'd wager the "problem" with most PCs isn't the PC at all, it's the users. They get loaded up with bloatware and all kinds of crap that bogs them down. They get slower and slower and people think their PC is just dying and just buy a new one instead.

I actually agree with this statement. Toolbars bundled with software drive me up the wall. If I had a dime for every toolbar I've uninstalled.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The biggest difference why the iPad will succeed and all other will fail is many factors but the most important is Applications, The iPad will have iPad specific apps and all the App store apps, all desktop software was not written or intended for a tablet design... Without a library of Applications available the is no software for the device you just bought. Imagine buying a Dell tablet but what can you do with it, play mine sweeper? This has always been a issue and why tablets have not gone mainstream, the software would be too far behind the hardware... With the advent of the App store Apple has evened the hardware and software issue up...

Consider this and give it some thought before replying...

derrythe

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
That is actually why I'm glad they are using the OS they are. While having the iPad rocking Snow Leopard would be cool, the iPhone OS makes the device easy to use without a mouse pointer. And if you really need to have access to a full pc environment, use a remote desktop solution and connect it to your own computer.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
That is actually why I'm glad they are using the OS they are. While having the iPad rocking Snow Leopard would be cool, the iPhone OS makes the device easy to use without a mouse pointer. And if you really need to have access to a full pc environment, use a remote desktop solution and connect it to your own computer.

exactly why the iPad will work

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
My plan exactly.

When my sister asked me what I would do with one, I said e-books, audio-books, movies, Slingplayer TV, and to access my home LAN. With 64G, I will use it as a storage device in my network file system.

For the moment, I am using Logmein Ignition to access my home LAN. Works well over WiFi or 3G. I expect it to be awesome on the iPad. Air Sharing Pro will help me exploit the storage. It will also play PowerPoints, Keynotes, and other slide shows.

While I did not say so explicitly to my sister, I am sure that, as I do with my iPhone, I will use it to access services in the cloud. Some of these are general purpose applications like Dropbox while others are very specific like Tripcase, Worldmate, Flight Status, and Deliveries.

Games are not on my list but they will be on my iPad. Children love the iPhone and the Touch and, if the NYTimes is to be believed, the iPad may be a "child's best friend." And yes, I will let children play with it, and yes, they might drop it.

Looking back, it is hard to believe that I bought the iPhone to make phone calls on and maybe to use as a PDA. Today, that view seems naive. The iPhone was a "game changer." I suspect the iPad may be such a change agent. If so, my list above may look similarly naive in three years.

I am waiting patiently for Apple to start taking orders.

Last edited:

james1911

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
the only reason i think ipad will work is because there is a lot of space between iphone and a laptop.. this is a niche segment and i dont think it will be a mass product as iphone or ipod.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I agree with many of your points, however I wouldn't classify my waiting as being particularly patient.
Those of us on the bleeding edge must, of necessity, spend a lot of time waiting. We might as well get used to it. April will come and we will get our iPads and start waiting for OS 4 and then the next generation iPhone. It will never end.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
the only reason i think ipad will work is because there is a lot of space between iphone and a laptop.. this is a niche segment and i dont think it will be a mass product as iphone or ipod.
I am an enthusiast. The fact that I can find a lot of use for something, does not promise it success.

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I think any real competition for the iPad is years away. As whmurray said, "it's the software, stupid" - although there is Google' competing version, "it's the data, stupid," but that's why I don't expect Android to scale well into a cloud-pad solution. Oddly (for me) I think Windows Phone Series 7 looks like new and original UI software that could scale to a general purpose device like the iPad - but even a phone implementation is months away.

cleondann

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Apple did really nice work to remove thousands of applications to provide some quality services to the customers. Really nice work done and i think it will go better day by day.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I find it hard to say whether the iPad will be a run away success. I know when the iPhone was about to launch there were alot of people scoffing at Apple getting into the smarphone ring and look at what happend. I know for myself the iPad will fit the spot I have open perfectly between my iPhone and my laptop. I bought a netbook to fill that gap but the small keyboard and the shape just didn't work for me personally. The iPad will be perfect because I will now be able to do all the thiings I want to do on my iPhone but don't because the screen is too small. So I guess only time will tell :D

DemAssils

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
2 weeks in Tuscany

Hello,

After of 5 years of non-stop hardworking, I've decided to have a rest and to travel. Choosing a place to go is always pleasant, i've looked more than 50 offers! But something told me to go to Italy) To Tuscany.

Tuscany - One of the most popular regions in Italy, Tuscany stretches from the Tyrrhenian Sea to the Apennines. Its main cities include Florence, Pisa, Siena, Lucca, Arezzo and Livorno. Drive between stunning sites like Florence's cathedral and Uffizi Gallery and the Leaning Tower of Pisa...

I'd like to share some photos with you - here they are

What do you think?

Thanx :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2