wifi or 3g?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I really want this. But even now i'm wondering what version i'll purchase. I'm almost thinking of getting the wifi to try out, making sure i like it, then getting a 3G one later. Even if i don't enable the 3G, it'd be nice to have that option. But i'd hate to buy something with the intention of returning. I'm still not decided yet.

64gb because i'm likely to have more media on it. 720p means bigger files right. Even the apps? I'm guessing i'll have to re-convert several videos i have. I also wonder if Apple will have an option to upgrade purchased media to HD.

Last edited:

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Im getting the 64 3g version myself, I hate buying products twice, cheap first then expensive later, now I just buy the item I will re buy in the future

derrythe

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm going with the wifi version, but then I have a Palm Pre for my 3g when I need it.

As for app and file sizes, hd videos will be bigger than their sd counterparts, and the apps that are made for iPad will likely be larger as well. But the iPhone/Pod apps that work with the iPad will be the same size, just capable of being upsaled to the resolution of the device.

I still think it's interesting that people feel the need to justify buying one of these. If the product fits your needs, then its a worthwile purchase for you. If it doesn't then stop denigrating those that want it and go find a device that does.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I am actually hoping AT&T also offers a tether solution for the iPad using the iPhone, being able to bluetooth 3G over to a iPad wirelessly from my iPHone would be the perfect solution

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am actually hoping AT&T also offers a tether solution for the iPad using the iPhone, being able to bluetooth 3G over to a iPad wirelessly from my iPHone would be the perfect solution

the iphone doesn't support the needed feature to be able to do this. so even if the ipad did you would be out of luck.

TiburonGrande

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
IF a tethering solution for the WiFi-only version is unavailable via AT&T or Verizon, overcomplicated/problematic as a hack, or truly not technologically feasible, then I would have to go with the 3G version. I just can't see the percentage in spending big $$ on a device that's meant to be used on-the-go and then be limited as to where exactly I can use it.
Yes, free WiFi "hotspots" are becoming more commonplace, and you can always piggyback on somone's unsecured connection (provided there's sufficient signal strength, and IF you can find one, which has become increasingly more difficult as society's Internet-security awareness has risen) -- but I'd rather know I can jump online whenever & wherever I'd like, than have to hope/wait/relocate for a connection.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't like hopping on wifi that i don't manage. Security and all that. 3G is more secure and in more places.

Though i could use mywi and tether from iphone, awesome as it is, it still requires a jailbreak and its uncertain how apple will fight that with 4.0 and the new iphone. Beyond that, it still requires using mywi and running down battery.

So i think i'm getting an ipad with 64gb 3G built in. There's some other benefits as well because of 3G. Assisted GPS which can be helpful.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Troubling. Seems to me that there are two decisions. Whether to buy the 3G radio and whether or not to use it.

Buying the radio is inexpensive if one uses it, expensive if one does not, cheaper if one buys it up front, dearer if you buy it late. One really gets only one bite at the Apple.

If one uses 3G, the cost of the radio is a nit, the cost is mostly in the service. However, one can decide month by month as to whether one wants to use it and how much.

Based upon this analysis, buying the 3G radio is a bet that one will use it at least some of the time, and the more one is likely to use it the better the bet. On that basis, I would probably buy it.

However, mine is a special case. I have sunk cost in my MiFi card. I pay $60/mo, whether I use it or not, and an infinite amount if I use it a lot. If I velcro my MiFi to the back of my iPad, I have 3G without buying the 3G radio on the iPad but a higher rate than if I had the 3G on the iPad. If AT&T/Apple will permit tethering, I can drop my MiFi, and after recouping the cost of the 3G radio and the early termination fee on the Verizon service, I will actually save money. So, I have an extra bet that AT&T/Apple will permit tethering, high risk, high reward. This makes buying the 3G radio a better bet for me than for others.

One more possibility, if AT&T/Apple permit tethering at a rate lower than Verizon's rate on the MiFi, Verizon may have to lower the rate on the MiFi. If that were to happen, not buying the 3G radiio and using the MiFi at a lower rate would be the best deal for me. Too many contingencies, not enough money involved, I buy the 3G radio anyway.

Since, I buy a new iPhone every year, I expect I may buy a new iPad every two years. Who knows what rates may be in 2 years. In two years, we may be buying LTE, at least on one carrier in some markets. Even at today's rates, one would get a bigger bang for the buck. It will be worth buying a 4G radio for, a new MiFi or a new iPad. Again too many contingencies and too much time to influence a decision that I must make in the next couple weeks.

TiburonGrande

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Troubling. Seems to me that there are two decisions. Whether to buy the 3G radio and whether or not to use it.

Buying the radio is inexpensive if one uses it, expensive if one does not, cheaper if one buys it up front, dearer if you buy it late. One really gets only one bite at the Apple.

If one uses 3G, the cost of the radio is a nit, the cost is mostly in the service. However, one can decide month by month as to whether one wants to use it and how much.

Based upon this analysis, buying the 3G radio is a bet that one will use it at least some of the time, and the more one is likely to use it the better the bet. On that basis, I would probably buy it.

However, mine is a special case. I have sunk cost in my MiFi card. I pay $60/mo, whether I use it or not, and an infinite amount if I use it a lot. If I velcro my MiFi to the back of my iPad, I have 3G without buying the 3G radio on the iPad but a higher rate than if I had the 3G on the iPad. If AT&T/Apple will permit tethering, I can drop my MiFi, and after recouping the cost of the 3G radio and the early termination fee on the Verizon service, I will actually save money. So, I have an extra bet that AT&T/Apple will permit tethering, high risk, high reward. This makes buying the 3G radio a better bet for me than for others.

One more possibility, if AT&T/Apple permit tethering at a rate lower than Verizon's rate on the MiFi, Verizon may have to lower the rate on the MiFi. If that were to happen, not buying the 3G radiio and using the MiFi at a lower rate would be the best deal for me. Too many contingencies, not enough money involved, I buy the 3G radio anyway.

Since, I buy a new iPhone every year, I expect I may buy a new iPad every two years. Who knows what rates may be in 2 years. In two years, we may be buying LTE, at least on one carrier in some markets. Even at today's rates, one would get a bigger bang for the buck. It will be worth buying a 4G radio for, a new MiFi or a new iPad. Again too many contingencies and too much time to influence a decision that I must make in the next couple weeks.

Wow, WH, decisions, decisions, eh ?? lol Sounds like U have a veritable plethora (to paraphrase the late, great Cosell) of options to sort through there...IMO, options are usually a good thing for the consumer, as it's nice to have the freedom of choice...

One question for U: You mention U use the MiFi now - do u use it as ur main Iphone connection, meaning you don't have an AT&T or T-mobile account?

I know at least one poster in a different thread mentioned he's solely using MiFi to "power" his jailbroken/unlocked Iphone. Seems to work for him, and I guess if you don't mind constantly carrying the MiFi as an extra item in a backpack/briefcase/bag, on ur hip, or in your pocket (although I think I would hesitate to go THAT far, since us guys might be incurring a potential cancer risk "down there", lol) -- then that could be a viable alternative. Would also be nice to be able to use my laptop wherever I want without having to tether.

Looking @ the Verizon website, most of the MiFi reviews are positive, but I did notice some people had trouble maintaining an uninterrupted connection to the MiFi, and some even reported that it sometimes just boots itself/shuts down without warning. If I'm were relying on it to "power" my main phone, having that happen during an important phone call would be unacceptable.

Other downsides are (as U mention) the battery-life issue (would now have to worry about BOTH Iphone and MiFi while mobile), and for me, wouldn't be any real savings over my current costs of home cable Internet service and Iphone data plan. Not to mention losing a ton of Rollover minutes :-(

BUT, if VZ *were* to substantially lower the MiFi costs due to competition (and hopefully concurrently improve its connection stability & battery life) -- then HMMMM...I'd have to at least consider saying buh-bye to AT&T and Cablevision...

Ur thoughts ??

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
One question for U: You mention U use the MiFi now - do u use it as ur main Iphone connection, meaning you don't have an AT&T or T-mobile account?
No, it is not my main connection. I pay AT&T $120-/month. I use it to connect my iPhone to the Internet where I do not have 3G.

Next week I will be in SF where AT&T has very poor service. I will use it for a data connection for the iPhone and will use Skype (over MiFi) to make voice calls.

However, the real reason that I have it is to connect my laptop over 3G, which I would not have to do if AT&T/Apple did not block tethering (or if I jail broke my phone in violation of my contract(s) with AT&T/Apple.)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Wow, WH, decisions, decisions, eh ?? lol Sounds like U have a veritable plethora (to paraphrase the late, great Cosell) of options to sort through there...IMO, options are usually a good thing for the consumer, as it's nice to have the freedom of choice...

I know at least one poster in a different thread mentioned he's solely using MiFi to "power" his jailbroken/unlocked Iphone. Seems to work for him, and I guess if you don't mind constantly carrying the MiFi as an extra item in a backpack/briefcase/bag, on ur hip, or in your pocket (although I think I would hesitate to go THAT far, since us guys might be incurring a potential cancer risk "down there", lol) -- then that could be a viable alternative. Would also be nice to be able to use my laptop wherever I want without having to tether.

Looking @ the Verizon website, most of the MiFi reviews are positive, but I did notice some people had trouble maintaining an uninterrupted connection to the MiFi, and some even reported that it sometimes just boots itself/shuts down without warning. If I'm were relying on it to "power" my main phone, having that happen during an important phone call would be unacceptable.

Other downsides are (as U mention) the battery-life issue (would now have to worry about BOTH Iphone and MiFi while mobile), and for me, wouldn't be any real savings over my current costs of home cable Internet service and Iphone data plan. Not to mention losing a ton of Rollover minutes :-(

BUT, if VZ *were* to substantially lower the MiFi costs due to competition (and hopefully concurrently improve its connection stability & battery life) -- then HMMMM...I'd have to at least consider saying buh-bye to AT&T and Cablevision...

Ur thoughts ??
My experience with MiFi has been good. The battery life is better than that of my iPhone or laptop. It re-charges more quickly than either. But, three batteries is tougher to manage than one, no matter what. Every now and then I may experience an anomaly while using it but it is so rare that I have yet to detect a pattern.

I think that Verizon MiFi does take business from AT&T. If AT&T would permit tethering, I would be happy to pay them all of the $$$$ that I pay Verizon. "The steaming pile of failure" does not seem to want my business at any price.

I am sure that there are a lot of people who use the MiFi as their sole internet connection and for their home LAN. In that application battery is not an issue. I certainly use it as a backup connection at home. I keep my cable ISP so that I can access my home LAN when I am on the road.

If Verizon reduces their price, they will clearly take business from AT&T.

My 3G service is marginal at home. Since "The steaming pile of failure" will not sell me a micro-cell, it is nice to have Skype as a backup to AT&T on the iPhone.

TiburonGrande

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
WH, thanks for the insights, amigo !

Sorry to hear about ur bad Iphone service. Based on ur experience and others' complaints here on TIPB and other blogs, I count my blessings that I typically have 5 bars of service, and that dropped calls have been reduced to nearly nil. But 3G data on my Iphone 3G is painfully slowwww (granted jailbreaking adds to that, lol).

Agree wholeheartedly with your opinion of AT&T ("steaming pile"), LOL. They can no doubt be a controlling and frustrating co to deal with.

What angers me most is that they had 6-7 months' running start from the time they negotiated the orig. Iphone contract (late '06/early '07) to build out infrastructure prior to 1st-gen Iphone's debut. They HAD to know demand for the product and for data would be HUGE; it was *only* the most-hyped cellphone (or tech gadget in general?) of all time...

What did they actually do in that time? Little to no buildout, from all I've read/heard. Substantive changes have only occurred over the past 3-6 months, a full 2 years later -- and likely only due to customer complaints/"churn". No proaction and slow reaction are just 2 more reasons why they're so reviled.

We can only hope they're working harder now to prepare for Ipad and likely 4th-gen Iphone's respective debuts. But prob best not to set expectations too high; they've already broken promises on tethering, and MMS was delayed 2 months last year...

Riddle me this: I'd LOVE to know the quality of Iphone call/data service Mr. Jobs gets in his home and at work in Cupertino. Makes me really wonder, based on ur comment about bad service in the NoCal area...

As for VZ, my experience with them (back in '99, when they were Bell Atlantic Mobile) honestly was not great; cust service was downright horrid. But, if they were to eventually get the Ipad/Iphone, and/or substantially lower the monthly fee for MiFi, I'd def. consider giving them another shot...

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Since I always have my iPhone, and it almost always has 3G connectivity, I plan to get up to a 64 GB iPad w/o 3G. If I really need a file or something while on the road, I can always get it with the iPhone and sync it to my laptop, and sync that to the iPad. lol Or, I could use the phone for really important breaking news, and save the iPad for reading and using data I already have on it. I dislike the idea of $130 for the 3G radio, and $15 to $30 more month on top of my $80 per month I already pay AT&T. BTW don't you love this stuff?

As far as 3G navigation is concerned, I use Navigon and it is excellent. Great signal reception while on the front seat of my car, and most iportantly I only use audible directions. The idea of looking at maps at speeds above 0 mph seems much too dangerous to me, both for myself and those I could injure by my inattention. Make the route on the iPhone and transfer it to the iPad to look at the nice big beautiful map screen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

Last edited:

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I am willing to bet to push iPhones further, AT&T held off on tethering to allow it between the iPhone and iPad... it would be the perfect reason to push people into both devices

martin_l

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
3G can be really close to Wi-Fi on a really fast 3G connection with an iPhone that is operating at peak effeciency. However, Wi-Fi is always fast, and always at least a touch faster, 3G varies wildly.:)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
No, it is not my main connection. I pay AT&T $120-/month. I use it to connect my iPhone to the Internet where I do not have 3G.

Next week I will be in SF where AT&T has very poor service. I will use it for a data connection for the iPhone and will use Skype (over MiFi) to make voice calls.

However, the real reason that I have it is to connect my laptop over 3G, which I would not have to do if AT&T/Apple did not block tethering (or if I jail broke my phone in violation of my contract(s) with AT&T/Apple.)
Went to SF. While I saw five bars and 3G, I could not do data apps over the AT&T/3G. For example, I could not access the app store. Same applications worked fine over Verizon 3G using the MiFi.

Of course, this is a local situation. While AT&T offers 3G in far fewer markets than Sprint or Verizon, in most of those markets it works as expected. If one lives in SF or NYC and does not travel, one would be at least marginally less likely to buy the 3G radio on the iPad. One might even be motivated to buy a Verizon MiFi.

If one lives in one of the markets where AT&T does not offer or promise 3G, one probably would not want to buy the 3G radio. Of course, that begs the question about how to take AT&T's promises. In fairness to AT&T, they have finally delivered on MMS and Sling over 3G. They have still not delivered on tethering, the micro-cell, and failed to deliver 3G in Vermont by year end 2009. I try to base my decisions on what AT&T has done and give little or no credence to their promises.

All of this is by way of saying that dealing with Apple/AT&T is somewhat more complicated than buying a phone from a carrier. We have decisions, like this one, that do not confront others.

bilbothejust

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I am going to get the 32Gb WiFi only. I already have a 3Gs for when I leave the house and the only time I would take the iPad with me would be for travel, so I'd make sure to load up on books and movies before leaving. In the off (or on) chance that the hotel I'm staying at has WiFi then I'm good to go. As for larger space required for 720p files...a 720p movie is about 1.2G's, so 32Gb should be fine. A book takes only about 400K at most. It sure would be nice to have a dongle that fit on the iPhone that created a 'mifi'.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods