wifi or 3g?

3G4Gexpert

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The 3G version of the iPad will be locked to AT&T's network, which doesn't even compare to the 3G coverage that Verizon has. iPad 3G owners would have to pay $30/mo for a data plan that can only be used on the iPad.

I would recommend getting a Verizon MiFi, which will provide better 3G coverage, on a more reliable 3G network. Not to mention you can connect up to 5 devices at a time to the MiFi.

3Gstore just announced a No Contract MiFi Option for iPad for only $49.95/mo

3gstore.com/lease

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
The iPad 3G is not locked to AT&T. But the only options in the U.S. is effectively AT&T because T-Mobile is the only other GSM network and T-Mobile uses different 3G frequencies than AT&T (and everyone else in the world).

But you could use the iPad 3G internationally on other carriers if they have micro-sims available.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The iPad 3G is not locked to AT&T. But the only options in the U.S. is effectively AT&T because T-Mobile is the only other GSM network and T-Mobile uses different 3G frequencies than AT&T (and everyone else in the world).

But you could use the iPad 3G internationally on other carriers if they have micro-sims available.
AT&T is the also the carrier in the US that supports a minii sim.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The 3G version of the iPad will be locked to AT&T's network, which doesn't even compare to the 3G coverage that Verizon has. iPad 3G owners would have to pay $30/mo for a data plan that can only be used on the iPad.

I would recommend getting a Verizon MiFi, which will provide better 3G coverage, on a more reliable 3G network. Not to mention you can connect up to 5 devices at a time to the MiFi.

3Gstore just announced a No Contract MiFi Option for iPad for only $49.95/mo

3gstore.com/lease
I have a Verizon MiFi. I promise not to use my 3G until AT&T supports tethering. In spite of their assurances to the contrary, that is likely to be a long time.

Last edited:

lillil

May 1, 2010
Visit site
wifi ipad heres why

i got the 16gb wifi and heres why even though i love the ipad i wanted one so bad to really get the full expirence of what it could do and i love it i love the iworks suite minus the fact i cant import audio to my keynotes but i love everything about it for a first gen model its very advanced and easy to use. But the fact of the matter is just like i do every year with the iphone i know im gonna want the next model i couldnt justify paying 800 and something for the 64 gb 3g model when i know im gonna want the same thing next year when they add the camera its just gonna help out skype so much i cant wait!;)

threar

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Just to add my two cents to this discussion (though perhaps this is an old discussion); I bought the 16GB WiFi version shortly after release in the hopes that it'd be good enough. Pairing up a MiFi was no problem, and it did *almost* everything I needed; except for the lack of aGPS (which is only available with the 3G chip). As my primary (exc)use for the iPad is for navigation, this became a huge issue. So, that forced me to bite and grab a 3G iPad as well (girlfriend got quite the nice birthday/graduation gift). Upside is that without the 3G connection, I can still use my MiFi and get aGPS updates.

idhawkdrvr

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I also opted for the 64gig WiFi only version. I've had Verizon internet for the past 4 years and was grandfathered in to the unlimited plan. I use my MiFi constantly in places where other folks can't even get a cell signal. By using the MiFi, both my Macbook, the iPad, and 3 other friends can have access to the net. It's a little spendy, but I can justify it through work. Gotta love tax write offs.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I really want this. But even now i'm wondering what version i'll purchase. I'm almost thinking of getting the wifi to try out, making sure i like it, then getting a 3G one later. Even if i don't enable the 3G, it'd be nice to have that option. But i'd hate to buy something with the intention of returning. I'm still not decided yet.

64gb because i'm likely to have more media on it. 720p means bigger files right. Even the apps? I'm guessing i'll have to re-convert several videos i have. I also wonder if Apple will have an option to upgrade purchased media to HD.

hmm, you must get the one you want now.
What's I wanna say is, the iPad is really tempting and have the persistent demand, though iPad also get a bit of a pass on any bugs. ?After all it is the first one.? But the iPhone, that?s mature and now the signal and reception problems are bubbling. The market is much less tolerant of screw-ups on a product that?s been on the market for a while.
BTW, for iPad Wi-Fi or 3G, this article "Tips to Turn iPad Wifi Into 3G" also gives a good alternative. :cool:;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR