Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

Default Do you think Apple held back on the iPad demo?

With iPhone 4.0 software coming shortly, do you think Apple held back many of the 4.0 features on the iPad as not to give away iPhone 4.0 secrets earlier then they wanted... We all know the next iPhone software has to answer to many of the competitions new features like multitasking, notifications, and more general user control... These features and more would make a bigger or more controlled response if released with the iPhone not a new product. I think iPad will be getting a 4.0 upgrade sooner then we think..
    Any thoughts?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I definately think they held back some stuff. It's funny that the iPad comes out in March and the 4.0 should be coming out in an event also in MARCH
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,736 Global Posts

Apple had to be careful. Previewing 4.0 features would put a damper on any big iphone 4.0 event later.

This was all about the iPad.
    iPhone Newbie

when was the last iPhone event ?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Apple had to be careful. Previewing 4.0 features would put a damper on any big iphone 4.0 event later.

This was all about the iPad.
    Yeah this was clearly well thought out
    iPhone Beginner

Apple is very careful about the information they release. They most certainly held back information regarding the ipad. There are going to be A LOT of new features with the upcoming OS 4.0 release and I'm certain they didn't want to release any of those features at the ipad keynote.

OS 4.0 is going to be legendary.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

OP makes a point that all of us people who are hopeful for more features are expecting. Really though all I want is multitasking and flash support. If they had those two things I would be a very happy camper. The flash seems unlikely now but I'm banking on limited multitasking as a feature of 4.0
    iPhone Beginner

I think so. It was just a bare product demonstration of what the device can do. We'll hear more before release, more media deals are definitely coming, and some gret extra stuff seems almost certain for OS 4.0.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

They were really just getting the iPad out there, allowing developers to start thinking and working now. 4.0 will come out shortly after the iPad is released; making all the people that trashed the device, regret it. Once this device runs a bunch of iPad specific apps its will be cooking. I still really want multitasking though.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

they never said it did or didn't multitask,
    Remember, right before the iPad is released, they will be doing the iPhone preview event, this event will serve 2 purposes:
    1) show off the new upcoming iPhone software
    2) add functionality to the iPad before it ships... this event was a hyped up preview wait for the full product in March
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

They have been known to do that. It is not beyond them.

Having been involved in product release to market myself, I recall that I often had features that were not sufficiently tested or demonstrated at announce time that I was able to deliver at "first customer ship" time. Large quality-conscious firms have controls over what claims one can make for a new product. Steve Jobs can announce anything he wants but even he cannot announce everything he wants. Product development involves hard choices.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iPhone Newbie

I thought it was an underwhelming presentation but I'm excited to see the possibilities that come with this new device.....
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

It sure would make sense to hide some of those upcoming features to not spoil the surprise with OS 4.0
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

They also only showed feature for he general public, they didn't go into specific features combined with apps that would make this device perfect for so many workplaces
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Forget just the Demo Apple Completely held back on the Device, Apple just wants to rack in money even though the 2nd Gen will have the features that everybody is waiting for
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leetsn0w View Post
    Forget just the Demo Apple Completely held back on the Device, Apple just wants to rack in money even though the 2nd Gen will have the features that everybody is waiting for
    So, I will just have to buy two. I am already on my third iPhone and anxious to buy the fourth. I do not begrudge Apple the money. They share. I own a little AAPL stock at $12 and sold some at $200-.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

It will be sweet if they held back some info and were waiting until the iPhone event in March. They got the buzz going for the iPad (good and bad). Now they're just letting it simmer until they announce 4.0 and even more features in March. (My wishful thinking)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eejits View Post
    I thought it was an underwhelming presentation but I'm excited to see the possibilities that come with this new device.....
    Ok, I agree with you
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

definately think they held back some stuff that is the same with all events not only this
    iPhone Newbie

i really really can't wait any longer...its killing me lol
    iPhone Newbie

I agree it was underwhelming to many. I for one believe that we have seen just a fraction of what will be on the iPad. As they all said that you have to hold the device and use it. I for one believe that it will be a huge success. Can't wait for April…...