• Yes, I'm getting it!

Votes: 81 39.3%
  • Maybe..

Votes: 35 17.0%

• Total voters

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
So out of the people who are definately going to buy one who is going to wait for 2nd gen? I was convinced today by my friends to wait but I'm still on the fence since I'm a very impatient person and don't know if I could wait for months or possibly a year until a second gen comes out. It's just that looking at the difference between the 1st gen iPhone and the 3G ie. 2nd gen there is such a big difference. Also I think alot of people are mentioning things as negatives like no multi-tasking, no flash when a new OS is just right around the corner and no one knows what changes are coming.
I'm thinking it'll be a full year before you see a 2nd gen.
I think Apple is even going to see how this one is received before committing to what the changes will be for a 2nd gen.
Also, I have a feeling the 2nd gen won't be too much different than the 1st gen. It'll be one of those things that will be over hyped, and people will be 'disappointed' in that it's not much different.
Just look at the Mac, Macbook, and iPhone evolution of hardware. Unless there's something wrong, they don't change much. Where you'll see the biggest advancement will be in the software (OS) upgrades which the 1st Gen will get.

I say if you want it, just get it. If you can wait, all the better. It means you don't need it and you'll save some money. But I think for people who have already committed to getting it, without ever trying it or waiting for actual comprehensive reviews mind you, waiting for a 2nd gen won't cut it.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'll wait until the price point comes down and more functionality/speed/storage is added. It's nice, but I'm not willing to pay the price.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
for someone who spends as much time as you do on this forum, you sure have quite a distaste for most Apple products. :confused::confused::confused:

I agree I do...I guess i really assumed the Iphone was all of that as in did stuff other phones did not do.Seriously I think i have more of a issue with at&t than with the phone itself.I am holding out for 4.0 tho...But this Itampon is seriously the gag.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking it'll be a full year before you see a 2nd gen.
I think Apple is even going to see how this one is received before committing to what the changes will be for a 2nd gen.
Also, I have a feeling the 2nd gen won't be too much different than the 1st gen. It'll be one of those things that will be over hyped, and people will be 'disappointed' in that it's not much different.
Just look at the Mac, Macbook, and iPhone evolution of hardware. Unless there's something wrong, they don't change much. Where you'll see the biggest advancement will be in the software (OS) upgrades which the 1st Gen will get.

I say if you want it, just get it. If you can wait, all the better. It means you don't need it and you'll save some money. But I think for people who have already committed to getting it, without ever trying it or waiting for actual comprehensive reviews mind you, waiting for a 2nd gen won't cut it.

Exactly I don't think I would be able to wait for a year, in it's form now it will definately work for me, for the things I have in mind. So I'm still on the fence whether I want to get it or wait for a 2nd gen if there is one. I'm pretty sure as flash mem increases we'll see models with more memory but with the memory on my iPhone plus a 32GB tablet I doubt I would have to worry about anything.

websyndicate

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Problem with the Apple iPad

I have decide not to buy into more of Apples Locked Down system. Desktops fine Laptops fine. But Tablet with and iPhones OS if I purchase and iPad for say $650 I want to put on any apps I want not what Apple approves. Yes its the best tablet on the market but is locked down from me using my own apps on it. I don't want to jailbreak my iPad too. I don't want Apple to tell me whats best for me. I want openness and luckily I don't have to buy it. Right now the HP tablet would be better just for the simple fact that its open for whatever you want.

Anybody else agree?

The Problem with the Apple iPad - apple ipad - Lifehacker

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I love my iPhone but the iPad is an unnecessary product for the "average Joe" such as myself. If I had extra money burning a hole in my pocket, perhaps I would get one. But since I don't, this is what I feel I would be doing.

ipad.jpg

seb_or_sam

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I really like what I see with the iPad (except the name... jesus christ what was wrong with iSlate, Slate, or, my favorite, Canvas/iCanvas? What the hell, Apple?), and am VERY interested in what jailbreaking could do for it. ProSwitcher would be a dream, GRiP would be fantastic (hell, why not just do a full Growl port with a 10'' screen?), WinterBoard would do wonders,, SBSettings is a must, iFile, Infinidock, YourTube, Iconoclasm... god I wanna hack this thing. But look at what happened with the iPhone. 2 months in there was a price cut, and one year later they got the 3G. I'm happy waiting for Apple to sort out the flaws (no camera, slightly large bezel, and, of course AT&T) I'm saving up for a new 13'' MacBook Pro, and I think I'll make due with my hackintosh netbook (HP Mini 1000 with Snow Leopard) for now.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I've heard this mentioned many times, that the iPad is not something anyone NEEDS. It's not something that fills an empty hole. The iPad will be primarily someting you'll WANT. Why you'll want it will vary individually.
It's not a piece of crap. I wish people wouldn't say that. It is severely limited by design. I hate that about Apple and their products. Why limit anything intentionally I'll never understand. (...)

Money. Bottom line. Stock price. Planned obsolescence, if you will. The iPhone is the boldest and most successful execution of planned obsolescence that I have ever seen. I now have an iPhone 3GS, because as of OS 3.1, and after adding Jailbreak apps Backgrounder, My3G, a few WebApps, and some from AppStore, it is now possible for me to do what I was able to before with my BlackBerry, and before that, with the Palm Treo's.

I love gadgets, and I enjoy making money immensely. As a lover of technology, I also detest Apple for the "iPhone phenomenon", probably for very similar reasons that you do. The business person in me loves watching a money-making venture, such as the iPhone platform, executed to perfection over the course of several years.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I love my iPhone but the iPad is an unnecessary product for the "average Joe" such as myself. If I had extra money burning a hole in my pocket, perhaps I would get one. But since I don't, this is what I feel I would be doing.

ipad.jpg

You do not kid me. I know "Average Joe." He is a friend of mine. You are no Average Joe. Average Joe likes toys as much as any of us. He has a budget for toys. I was there when Joe bought his first washing machine, freezer, television, air conditioner, microwave oven, and personal computer.

"Real men" do not ask directions, but Joe and I both use a GPS.

In 1986, when I bought my first cell phone, I had an entire list of applications in my head to justify it. None of them ever worked but, of course, I discovered a panoply of applications which I would never have imagined. We have all discovered applications for the iPhone which we might never have imagined. I can hardly project applications for the iPad beyond what I can do with the iPhone. However, a life-time of experience makes me confident that within days to weeks, I will be as dependent on it as I am on my iPhone.

Of course, I was also there when Joe bought the Newton so I do not pretend to know whether or not the iPad will be a success. However, if it is not, it will be because it is a Newton, not because Joe will not try it.

In the technology space, today's toy is tomorrow's necessity.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Is this going to be a BOMB for Apple is the real question!!!
Do you mean "Is this another Newton?"

I think not. First, it starts with 140K apps out of the box.

Second, its iBook reader blows the competition out of the water. A little expensive but only if displaying books was all that it could do. One has to believe that e-books are for real. Amazon has announced that e-books are competing very well with paper. The iPad will be the only device with no restrictions as to library access. While the Kindle app for iPhone is not nearly as pretty or functional as the iBook, on the iPad it will be very competitive with Amazon's own Kindle devices. (I will probably prefer the iPhone to the iPad for reading in bed. While it is lighter than a book, it is heavier than the iPhone and will hurt me if I drop it on my head. Developers take note that one will want to sync books across one's iPhone and iPad so that both devices will know what "page" one is on. )

Third, the very creative developers that have given us 140K apps in a year and a half, are now working to give us apps that exploit the unique properties of the iPad.

Cramer says it is a game changer.

Last edited:

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
You do not kid me. I know "Average Joe." He is a friend of mine. You are no Average Joe. Average Joe likes toys as much as any of us. He has a budget for toys. I was there when Joe bought his first washing machine, freezer, television, air conditioner, microwave oven, and personal computer.

LOL...and Dave Ramsey was there to console Joe when he got head over heals in debt from trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll make one prediction. Once two more months will have passed, at which point the WiFi+3G+GPS version will be available, there will be a lot of people checking out the iPad at an Apple store, and once they see that gorgeous IPS screen, once they feel it in their own hands for the first time and use that demo version, it won't take too long for at least half of those people to start salivating over the idea of having one for themselves, and buying one on the spot. (or running to an ATM because you thought it was a good idea not to bring enough money in an attempt to abstain haha...) ;)

iEattehberry

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I can't wait to get my iPad! As another post on here states, I'm sure that Apple held out due to iPhone 4.0, and it is kind of interesting that the 3G iPad launches in March when the next iPhone is thought to be held. I can't wait to see what features are unvailed. Like others have said the iPad announcement was just hardware. I mean, even in the keynote Steve looked like he wanted to share more. Those are just my thoughts though. I can't wait for the games this thing will have!!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Anyone else see the NY Times article that suggested that the iPad is not just a toy for big boys but that it is also a great toy for tiny tots. Touch again. Seems that tiny tots are really good with their fingers.

The article failed to note that toys are always one of the first applications of new tech.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner