• Yes, I'm getting it!

Votes: 81 39.3%
  • Maybe..

Votes: 35 17.0%

• Total voters

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
We'll definitely be getting one. I just don't know when. We have a couple big purchases to make first. But iBooks alone makes it worth it to me. iPad has huge potential.
Don't you love that iBook Reader?

Of course, I will install copies of B&N, Kindle, Stanza, and eReader for the iPhone/Touch/Pad. While these readers will not look as good as the iBook, they are better than the Kindle or the Nook, and each has access to libraries that the others do not.

Let's see the Kindle match that.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Since broadband cards are branded/proprietary, it is effectively locked. That may actually be harder to fix than "un-locking." I seriously doubt that putting a T-Mobile SIM in the iPad will make it work on T-Mo. In any case, early adopters will have to take a chance.

It is not a hardwired 3G card, it works just like the iPhone that needs a SIM. In the presentation today they said that it is not locked. The issue is that in the US there is only one provider that uses the same technology as the rest of the world and that is ATT. Tmobile is close, but they use a special frequency for their 3G radio which makes it EDGE only for the iPhone / iPad. But if Tmobile was running the same standards as ATT you would be able to pop in a sim and be on your way with tmobile.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Seems like Apple's technical evolution doesn't follow the natural path. First, release an oversized portable tablet. Next, shrink it down to the size of a credit card and call it an iPhone.

I'm not rocket scientist by any means, however I honestly don't get what was going through Job's head with this concept.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Seems like Apple's technical evolution doesn't follow the natural path. First, release an oversized portable tablet. Next, shrink it down to the size of a credit card and call it an iPhone.

I'm not rocket scientist by any means, however I honestly don't get what was going through Job's head with this concept.

There was a bigger demand for a good handheld computer / phone. So you use the iPhone to build up the company name as well as building up the app store. Then you introduce the iPad which probably has a smaller audience, but with 140k apps ready to run on it already there is a lot going for it.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
There was a bigger demand for a good handheld computer / phone. So you use the iPhone to build up the company name as well as building up the app store. Then you introduce the iPad which probably has a smaller audience, but with 140k apps ready to run on it already there is a lot going for it.

Ahh, now I see the logic and can understand it. That's a good answer. I told you I wasn't a rocket scientist. :D

canamera

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Well, I own 2 desktops, a laptop, and I have my iPhone... So why would I go out and spend up to $1000 on something that is lacking so many important things to begin with? iPad = iFlop!!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Nope definitely not. Big disappointment. It's a Kindle/Nook on steroids, sure. But I didn't want an e-reader that can also do what every other internet connected device I own already does. This should be a whole lot more.

dragonc12

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Alli. I am a little disappointed with this. I guess if maybe they hadn't brought up the downfalls with netbooks (as if the iPad was going to DESTROY the netbook with its features) maybe I wouldn't be so "meh". When they brought that up I immediately though "great, now I can sell my netbook". Right now I'd rather keep my little Acer netbook. It has USB ports, it can run more than just Apps or iWork, WAY bigger HDD, webcam, etc.

The iBook features are awesome however. If I were in the market for an Ebook reader I would take this over the Kindle anyday.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I agree. It is nice, more than a "big iPod touch", but not enough more, IMO. I was hoping for something that closer to a mini computer than a large iPod touch (on the spectrum, it is slightly closer to an iPod touch than to a iMac, IMO).

64GB of memory is too small, IMO. No file system (I would have preferred more like a Mac than an iPhone). No ability (that I know of) to sync an iPhone with it. I would have loved a front facing camera for video conferencing.

It is nice, and I certainly am tempted, however.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I agree. It is nice, more than a "big iPod touch", but not enough more, IMO. I was hoping for something that closer to a mini computer than a large iPod touch (on the spectrum, it is slightly closer to an iPod touch than to a iMac, IMO).

64GB of memory is too small, IMO. No file system (I would have preferred more like a Mac than an iPhone). No ability (that I know of) to sync an iPhone with it. I would have loved a front facing camera for video conferencing.

It is nice, and I certainly am tempted, however.
And I wanted something that was closer to an iPod than a Mac. Therefore , I am happier than you.

I think that the iPhone, the Touch, and the iPad represent an important paradigm shift in which purpose-built apps, some quite elegant, hide the complexity of the system while dramatically increasing the utility and useability of the system Time will tell which of us sees it best.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I really want one but can't afford it :( But I get my MS degree in June and hoping I can talk my parents into getting me one as a graduation gift :D

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll get one. And a Macbook Pro when it is refreshed to the i7's, and IPS. I see no reason why Apple shouldn't be able to. If they can do IPS on the small end at 9.7" with the iPad, and 27.5" on iMac, why not 15", or 17" on the Macbook's...

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I say I will not get one now mainly because it does not allow multi tasking and has a few other limitations that irk me. But I suspect that once I actulally use one I'll want it. I spent $500 on the first Asus EEE PC 8GB model mainly just to "surf and email" and the EEEPC is a piece of garbage compared to this (though it does run Windows7.) This tablet addresses that need perfectly (except that you can't view flash sites.)

As details emerge I think I'll come around to wanting it.
The question is which model? I'm thinking the base $500 or $630. Higher price models seem like too much money for what is essentially a "toy" for me.
I already have an iPhone and MBP 13"

Last edited:

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Im getting one but I'm disappointed. Apple could have done so much better. Running it off of the iPhone OS is just pitiful. I think once some iPad specific apps come out this thing will have much better potential. The iPhone was nothing without apps and when they first came out they werent all that good either. Im really interested to see how well pages works, I want to use this for school. The lack of multitasking is killer though, I hope its added in an update, Job - if the chip is "streaming" why cant it run at least pages and the web at the same time.

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
After the device ships and iPhoneOS 4.0 hits, I'll know for sure, but it looks like the answer is yes. I'm with whmurray om this. Apple has already sold tens of millions of tablet computers called the iPhone and iPod Touch; this is the more capable big brother, and except for no camera, a screwy name, and lower price, almost exactly what I expected.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox