Why am I unable to text people on the same server as I am?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Won't txt to some.

Work or school server? Maybe it's a firewall or other kind of network traffic issue? Talk to your LAN or Data Admin,or IT person they should be able to help you troubleshoot it. :) If it's an office they might not allow IMing within the network, but externally the firewall just sees packets of data not IM traffic so it lets the IMs out so that is why you can IM external people. USUALLY it works the other way around, but it can work this way too, for example, my office does not allow internal IM traffic either.

EDIT: I'm an IT person so that is why I know a little bit about this. ;)

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

I am retired and don't work in an office. My IPhone works fine to all contacts.

The iPad can only send messages to people on iOS. If they are using anything else it won't work. Obviously the iPhone does not have that limitation which is why it works fine. I believe iOS8 is going to change that and will allow iPad's to message any device, not just other iOS devices.

Bernie Seal

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

Doesn't sound right to me. My wife has an IOS iphone3 and hers is the one that I can't send a txt to, same ATT and same place for the email.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure an iPhone 3 doesn't support iOS 5 and therefore doesn't have iMessage leaving only sms. And an iPad can't send SMS.

Yeah that's what I figured. But considering how apple is I would not have been surprised if the iPhone 3 supported iOS 5.

Sent from my Death Note powered by iOS

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I am retired and don't work in an office. My IPhone works fine to all contacts.

I'm sorry you confused me when you said server. I think you meant to say provider, or carrier, such a Verizion or AT&T. A server is a larger computer that controls the internet or network for a school or office (or home).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711