Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By kch50428
  • 2 Post By iEd
  • 1 Post By iCeborg
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Life of an iPad...

Confession: I have never used a gadget for more than a year.

Observation: it's been a year with the Mini (almost) and feels like it was just yesterday I got it.

So, hate me for asking this, but how long does an iDevice live? The Androids I have been using in the past seen their first birthday and gone in a blink.

But not surprisingly, an iDevice looks far more robust and powerful even after a year. Now my reinvigorated interest is also partly because of the major iOS7 upgrade.

I initially hated the new OS. But as I gave some time, it did grow on me. And now I am completely in love with it.

So, don't know what triggered this change. But I am happy with the way iOS and the iDevices are going...

Comments?

Sent from my iPad Mini!

Global Posts
    11,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Life of an iPad...

I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro circa early 2008... a well cared for Apple device will likely outlive its OS support.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates

Global Posts
    17,290 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Live? It doesn't......but it can function for many years if it's taken care properly.
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm working on year 3 with my iPad 2.

I'm not planning on replacing it anytime soon. The iPad Air is a great update with the A7 processor but I'm not doing anything on my iPad that's processor dependent. I may seriously consider the next iPad update.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    iCeborg and taz323 like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Live? It doesn't......but it can function for many years if it's taken care properly.
    Hah! That's not what I meant...I meant..how long does it live WITH US? I mean the DROIDS barley live for a year and start growing old...

Sent from my iPad Mini!
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,263 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro circa early 2008... a well cared for Apple device will likely outlive its OS support.
    iBook G4 running 10.5. When I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get on the iMac.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,263 Global Posts

I'm a hoarder of electronics I still have the very first iPhone and iPod both still work. As stated above I also still have and use my G4 laptop.
    So I think it's user preference, did I need my iMac no, did I want an iMac yes.
    And on occasion when I need to load a particular OS on my other "fruit named phone" that calls for Windows I break out my ancient Dell 6000.

Long, long time
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My iPad Mini will last me a long time... Until it no longer works. The same thing goes for my 2010 Unibody White MacBook. Let's just say that my MacBook is still working perfectly after 3 years (yes, I still use it even thought I now have an iPad Mini &#128527.
    Verizon iPhone 5 16GB
    MacBook Mid 2010 2.4GHZ 500GB 8GB RAM
    iPad Mini 16GB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

Touch wood our iPads will last us a long time. Apple generally make good quality, durable products. There are people who have the iPad 1 and it's still going strong.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Wow! I really love my Mini more and more...thanks all for your replies...

Coded from iCeborg's iDevice.
    iMore Nanite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iCeborg View Post
    How long does an iDevice live?

I'll give you a brief history of the iOS Device lifecycle timeline.

The first and second gen iPhone received 2 major revisions of the iPhone OS. Starting with the 3GS, Apple gave that phone a whooping 3 year major revisions, and up until now, it still received iOS 6.1.6 which is basically a security bug fix. The iPhone 4 is the longest-living iPhone yet. It's almost approaching it's fourth birthday and with the performance enhancements Apple has to make for the phone to run well, I guess it's safe to say that it's approaching its end-of-life cycle.

The iPads are a similar story. The first gen full-sized iPad was released on 2010 and was given 2 Major software revisions. The iPad 2, or the longest-living iPad yet, was introduced in 2011 and still is capable of running iOS 7. The original iPad mini, which has similar hardware with the iPad 2, is given more of iOS 7 features like translucency - although I am unsure why Apple wouldn't include this on the iPad 2 (& 3!). Given that the iPad 2 has already received 3 major software revisions, it's safe to assume iPads and future iPads will also receive the same treatment.
    iMore Newbie

I am one of those people who ashamedly have no brand loyalty. I figure it is my money and I will buy what I like. Over the years i collected 27 phones (yep , I am not young). The reason is that they are either the manufacturer obsolete them in a year (no software updates, exm HTC) or buggy with no updates and produce a new phone instead (Nokia). So I keep changing. One day I needed a phone and not a single one on the market impressed me. They were all copies of each other. The O2 salesman told me take an Iphone. I said "rubbish", what is the difference. Her said, OS build to be a Phone OS,. regular updates, rock solid hardware that works. Expensive but it will not obsolete in year and hence saving you another phone. Take it free for 30 days, and if you are not happy return it and no questions asked. If you are happy you take 24 months contract. I agreed. I signed the contract the contract the following month. That ws Iphone 3GS, 6 years on and still being used by my son as I moved to Iphone 5. Son in 6 years I only changed once. If you calculate the cost, it is cheaper the Apple way. I now also own an Ipad mini and soon Ipad Air.

Only Apple products proved themselves to survive my standard. Sure there more powerful tablets and phones out there (hardware wise) but the OS sucks and the manufacturers will obsolete it in about 1 or 2 years top. My 3GS survived few years until the IOS 7. Also, the apps are top notch quality.

These days, I only change when my kids ask me for my hardware and it is when I am tempted to change even though I don't need to.

I would say live long and prosper.