Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What are you using your iPad Mini for?

What are your using your iPad Mini for?

I am so impressed that I can see an Excel spreadsheet to where I can actually read it. I downloaded the Numbers App from Apple.
    I know that may sound a bit silly but have you ever tried to view on on your iPhone? lol
    When you are on the run somewhere and you are impatient as I am you can actually view it in an iPad Mini.
    My blog
    iBabygirl.com
    TiredOfPhoneWar likes this.

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: What are you using your iPad Mini for?

I use my iPad Mini for basically the same thing I use my iPhone 5 for with the exception of making and receiving phone calls. Web surfing, forum stuff, Twitter, RSS reading, email, paying bills, etcetera. I will sometime use it in conjunction with my iPhone, especially if I'm playing a game against my son who uses the mini for watching Netflix shows and playing games.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Hi Eli,I use it to work mostly some serious stuff, and watch youtube some movies ( i dont use my laptop anymore which is a year old it was my last year crismast gift btw)and for imore i still like to use my iphone because its easy to handle and im mostly visiting imore just before sleep in my bed, so iphone is still my best friend
    Gold iPhone 5S 16Go/iPad Retina Mini Silver Wifi+Cellular 64Go
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I like it far more on a holiday then my laptop. It's small does the same exact thing as my laptop and easier to take a photo with. Ohh and of course listen to some music on the airplane. At home I use to surf on the web, play games, twitter, facebook bla bla bla and post my screenshot in the ipad mini forum
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfPhoneWar View Post
    Hi Eli,I use it to work mostly some serious stuff, and watch youtube some movies ( i dont use my laptop anymore which is a year old it was my last year crismast gift btw)and for imore i still like to use my iphone because its easy to handle and im mostly visiting imore just before sleep in my bed, so iphone is still my best friend
    Lol it's true. The iPhone is very easy to hold. It's interesting how we have gravitated to smaller devices when the standard sooo many times is lets go bigger lol!!!
    My blog
    iBabygirl.com
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by t3ddie View Post
    I like it far more on a holiday then my laptop. It's small does the same exact thing as my laptop and easier to take a photo with. Ohh and of course listen to some music on the airplane. At home I use to surf on the web, play games, twitter, facebook bla bla bla and post my screenshot in the ipad mini forum
    Totally agree that the portability of the mini is wonderful. Ohhhh and absolutely amazing to travel with!!
    My blog
    iBabygirl.com
    iOS Gravity likes this.

It's very convenient. I use mine to stream music, play games and surf the web. It's way better than a laptop except for websites that require flash player.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

"With great power, comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

I use my iPad mini for streaming music, playing games, watching Netflix shows and movies, twitter, photo editing, definitely for youtube also (i'm obsessed), and for when i want to sleep with rain sounds to help me sleep

Summer Time Lovin <3
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Watching videos (Netflix,Amazon, YouTube, iTunes), listening to music, web browsing, checking emails, reading, shopping, communicating with friends and family (iMessage), playing games.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Default What are you using your iPad Mini for?

Primarily - Write and read. I'm a tech blogger and a rookie novelist. I also read a lot of books on it.

Secondarily - music and surfing. Love to listen to NOISIA during the day or Lana at night while surfing the net.

Thirdly - camera and assorted stuff. Sometimes chat with friends on iMessage or FaceTime.

Overall, I use 100% as I had planned...

Coded from iCeborg's iDevice.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by iCeborg View Post
    Primarily - Write and read. I'm a tech blogger and a rookie novelist. I also read a lot of books on it.

Secondarily - music and surfing. Love to listen to NOISIA during the day or Lana at night while surfing the net.

Thirdly - camera and assorted stuff. Sometimes chat with friends on iMessage or FaceTime.

Overall, I use 100% as I had planned...

Do you use a physical keyboard when you write? If so, which one? I ask because you said your primary use for your mini is writing.
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Brian View Post
    Do you use a physical keyboard when you write? If so, which one? I ask because you said your primary use for your mini is writing.
    Hey man..no I write on the go..it fits perfectly in the hand and I can type as much as I can without hands getting tired...hope that helps!

Elizabeth2 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

When I’m not using it for email, surfing and gaming, I keep it in the kitchen under the short leg on the table. Now the table doesn’t wobble any more.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Karenkcoulter and joemd60 like this.

Global Posts
    3,905 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am a reader, because I'm a writer, and my iPad Mini is my refuge for e-book escape, plus I watch WWE reruns on that thing.

I buy a fair bit of iBooks and this is also the only device I can read it with besides my Macbook Pro, which I never use as a reader but a production machine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use mine to read PDFs and eBooks for school, and/or annotate notes. Occasionally I'll do an assignment on there (if it's not long and it's required to be typed. I use iBooks a lot. I also use it for Netflix, iTunes, Pandora/Spotify, and YouTube.
    Verizon iPhone 5 16GB
    MacBook Mid 2010 2.4GHZ 500GB 8GB RAM
    iPad Mini 16GB
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm definitely beginning to gain confidence in leaving my laptop home on vacations.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    I'm definitely beginning to gain confidence in leaving my laptop home on vacations.
    That's a great idea impaler. It's hard to break away from old habits but unless you have a major project to do an iPad mini will function quite nicely for everyday vacation functions. You can keep up easily with your emails, look up locations and shop while relaxing under a cabana!

Sent from my iPad mini using the iMore Forum App❤️
    My blog
    iBabygirl.com
    impaler likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

At work, I use mine for meeting and class notes, student grades on an excel spreadsheet, and have my text as a PDF file in iBooks. Off work, I use it for games, reading the news, watching videos and collecting ideas for future things I want to do. In reality, I am challenging myself to see how much I can really accomplish without opening my laptop.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth2 View Post
    That's a great idea impaler. It's hard to break away from old habits but unless you have a major project to do an iPad mini will function quite nicely for everyday vacation functions. You can keep up easily with your emails, look up locations and shop while relaxing under a cabana!
    True. Last two big vacations, I've left my DSLR Canon camera at home, and used only my iPhone (first my 4S, then my 5s on this last trip). I'm convinced I don't need that bulky camera any more - the camera is just that good.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    iMore Beginner

Use it for class notes and web surfing.
    Been tempted though to sell it and settle for a used MacBook Air off craigslist or find a good Windows laptop at my Best Buy. More power, storage, etc. not sure though.
    The indecisiveness is destroying me from the inside! 😥😓

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I use my air for games and web and scanning documents into Dropbox or to email them .. Recently I was able to convert all my papers to PDF and drop box them to my lawyer without ever using a fax or a printer.
    My wife uses her mini for everything school .. Online classes and web. Pretty much hard to find something I can't do vs a actual computer ... Mostly I have issue when trying to save documents it is easier on a computer depends on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Nanite

iOS Version

Well I've had mine for about two weeks now and this is what I've been doing with it:

Twitter - light socialization, sharing links I enjoy.
    iPhoto - general image editing, a pretty powerful app for mobile.
    Storehouse - Interesting platform to consume new content. Beautiful layout with short video integration. Heavy on visual storytelling. Also features content production options and plugs into services like Flickr.
    BikeMap - GPS capable app that excels at providing map functionality offline. Easy to plan and discover new bike routes with terrain specific options.
    Free WiFi - Nice app that has offline map features allowing you to discover public WiFi to save on data. Most locations are reliable in my experience.
    Drippler - News discovery app that analyzes your device and provides news and information surrounding iOS. Easy way to locate daily freebies (apps).
    Hangouts - Provides VoIP integration for Google Voice over Wi-Fi and data 3G or better. Place and easily receive calls. SMS integration coming soon. I'd like to use this app for socialization more than I do but I don't know very many people that make use of it.
    Skype - My go-to messenger most of the time. Decent video and voice calling.
    Pocket - Frequently save articles for offline viewing. Great night viewing layout. Evernote integration.
    Feedly - Good news discovery app with options to subscribe to popular feeds listed categorically with the ability to send articles to Pocket.
    Flipboard - I mainly use this app to plug into my Twitter. Provides easy and quick card style navigation of shared links. It also makes viewing content shared on Twitter lists a breeze. Very easy to send articles to Pocket. Only drawback is the lack of a night viewing mode.
    Evernote - I mainly use this to compile interest specific notebooks. For example if I find something interesting on camping it ends up in Pocket, then I'll send it to a notebook of mine designed around collecting ideas for camping or travel. Very useful for organizing ideas.
    Wider Image - Reuters app that is based around photojournalism. Heavy on visual content and reporting, more so than Storehouse. Has a cool map that allows you to pick an area in the world and explore the stories around it. Ability to follow your favorite photojournalists.
    FullControl - Nice little app that allows you to control your Mac from a couch or wherever. Trackpad, keyboard, and shortcut integration. Most useful if you're using a decent display or a TV.
    WakeUp Pro - I use this to wake up every morning to my own music, requires me complete a math problem before turning off. Apparently this activates areas of the brain to ensure you are fully awake. I've found it generally works well.
    Thermometer - Nice little app that provides a variety of weather conditions as well as comfort level.

For cloud services I'm fairly platform agnostic, making use of ADrive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive. Flickr mainly for photo storage and the free terabyte of space. There's a number of apps I didn't mention here but I definitely have a decent share of mobile games and a few streaming apps like Spotify and Rdio. I mainly just use my MacBook for work now. iPad for everything else. The separation actually seems to help me stay focused.
    iMore Newbie

I use it for everything including phone calls and text (when I am not out and about). The main functions:

Email
    Word processing
    Social (blogs, FB, TW, G+ etc)
    Surfing
    Purchases
    Reading
    Music
    Movies
    Magazines
    newspapers
    sketching
    Geocaching
    photography
    GPS (have wifi only but bought ) and travel.
    Notes, Calendars (work, home and the kids)
    Work meeting (GoTomeeting) and conferencing.

So you noticed no games
    I am not into mini games. I need something with more meat in it, such as Guild Wars 2 and the reason I am keeping the PC.

and to protect my investment I bought this .

as the mini lives in my canvas bag which I throw about a lot.
    Banned

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Hi all,

I use my iPad mini to hear songs using Vintape app, play games(Infinity Blade and Critical Mission Swat), watch movies, read PDFs and eBooks.

Cheers!
    iMore Intermediate

I'll break it down into three categories

1) It helps me a great deal with my studies, there's no better way to read 30-40 Pages and mark what's important than on iPad (plus a good App for it). No need to print 40 pages of paper each week and archive it, no need to carry it all around, and it's much better than reading digital books on my MacBook. Because you can sit down, hold it like a book in your hand and mark sentences with your finger. So for that alone I spend a lot of time on my Mini per day.

2) I also use it a lot on the go, that is in the car as navigation and my music library for long drives. Since I discovered it also fits in my back pocket I increasingly find myself putting it there when I just roam around outside to have the really large music library at my disposal (I usually just put fractions of it onto my Phone to keep it relatively empty).

3) All the at-home-entertainment aspects that have been mentioned earlier. On the couch, in bed, next to my coffee as the digital newspaper.

Answer to the OP title: A lot.
    Speedygi likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast