New Nexus 7's screen vs iPad Mini

footdrum

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Why is it that google (and asus) can do a small, lightweight device with great battery and a high res screen but apple can't? What am I missing here? I've heard Rene say a lot about out of battery, size, and screen res you can pick 2 and Apple chose battery and size, but it seems like Google chose all 3 and put it out at a lower price. Is it because of different screen tech? What makes the retina display better than the Nexus display? If Apple doesn't release a retina iPad mini this year I don't see people understanding what the hold up is. I'm not trying to spell doom for Apple, I just want to see Apple kick the pants off everyone in the market :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, but in regard to Apple kicking the pants off of everyone else, it's already doing that. Still, Apple products, with or without a retina display, small or large, light or heavy will not appease everyone. Some people prefer the Nexus and some do not and there is nothing wrong with that.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i just know one thing. when iPad mini came out last fall it made all the 7 inch android tablets eat dust in drawers. so when next version of iPad mini comes out , the nexus 7 will see the same drawer

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
i just know one thing. when iPad mini came out last fall it made all the 7 inch android tablets eat dust in drawers. so when next version of iPad mini comes out , the nexus 7 will see the same drawer

We can play that game for the next 100 years if you want. The fact remains that Google just nailed down first place for the most kickarse 7" tablet currently available right NOW. Ahead of Apple. And for under $300.

Your counter argument is that the next iPad Mini will outdo the new N7. To which I can say the next Nexus Tablet will outdo that. Like I said, we can go back and forth endlessly like this for the foreseeable future.

What should matter to you is given that the hardware is constantly going back and forth for "best" but still remains pretty even, is which ecosystem you prefer. And I hate to ruffle all you iFans but Android innovation has been consistently ahead of iOS without suffering the old drawbacks of stability problems or lag ever since November 2012 and 4.1 Jellybean. In terms of innovation but with some hiccups it's been ahead for longer than that even. I also view iOS7 as a baby step that should've been taken in 2011 and still has a long way to go to match Android's features and capabilities.

I say this knowing I'm posting on iMore and will be generally disagreed with. Noted, and thank-you.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Android is ahead features-wise, but Apple presents things in a pleasing way. Products that on paper are the same or slightly inferior just FEEL better. This is why they sell.

That said, it's time for a Retina iPad Mini. And it's time soon for Apple to wow us again with a product design that we didn't know we wanted/needed.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPad mini isn't strong because of the screen. It's strong because android tablet appsarepretty bad compared to the iPad. Also, largest podcast directory, some asps only available on android as adware, etc. That stuff matters. Most android device since late 2011 onward have been over specs so users are pretty deaf to spec rage these days. Doesn't help that OEM's like Samsung are pumping out devices that aren't much better. The mini is a mid range device. Comparing it to the new nexus is like comparing the 4s to a GS4.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the New Nexus 7 and it's fantastic! Everything about is better than the older one. It's a great 7" Android tablet, probably one of the best IMO. No regrets at all. Highly recommended. The mini and the 7" are two different devices, not sure why people even compare them.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Nook HD+ (with Google Play). I'm glad I didn't "splurge" on a Nexus and the iPad Mini is just overpriced - IMO. However, it's ecosystem is carrying it at the moment. If Android had as decent a tablet app ecosystem things would have been a bit more interesting. Have yet to run into a game that lagged on this thing, and the battery life is kind of phenomenal. It has iPad-level standby times... I've never seen an Android device so conservative with battery before... 8 Hours+ of on screen time with fairly heavy use I'm getting with this...

They're (Mini, N7) the same type of device, it's just out of place to compare the iPad Mini with a 2nd Gen Nexus 7, notwithstanding the fact that it was never intended to compete with high end devices. The bigger iPads are where Apple is aiming to compete there. Same type (Small Form Factor Tablets), different class (Mid Range vs. High End).

Apple just prices everything like it's a flagship product... I couldn't personally justify paying that much for the Mini, even with its better ecosystem - nevermind the fact that Apple's services aren't decently portable to other platforms so lock-in is a huge concern with them, since I do not use OSX.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I'd pretty much agree with this. Despite all it's 'limitations' compared to the nexus 7 it still dominated the small tablet market. The thing is Apple don't really need to better the new nexus 7 in terms of specs. The mini 2 will still obliterate the nexus 7 in terms of sales.

Also who's to say that the new nexus 7 has a good battery life? It's pretty untested at the moment. The first nexus 7's battery life wasn't that good. I'd rather have a capable and reliable mini than an all singing all dancing nexus 7 with all manner of bugs and instabilities.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
We can play that game for the next 100 years if you want. The fact remains that Google just nailed down first place for the most kickarse 7" tablet currently available right NOW. Ahead of Apple. And for under $300.

Your counter argument is that the next iPad Mini will outdo the new N7. To which I can say the next Nexus Tablet will outdo that. Like I said, we can go back and forth endlessly like this for the foreseeable future.

What should matter to you is given that the hardware is constantly going back and forth for "best" but still remains pretty even, is which ecosystem you prefer. And I hate to ruffle all you iFans but Android innovation has been consistently ahead of iOS without suffering the old drawbacks of stability problems or lag ever since November 2012 and 4.1 Jellybean. In terms of innovation but with some hiccups it's been ahead for longer than that even. I also view iOS7 as a baby step that should've been taken in 2011 and still has a long way to go to match Android's features and capabilities.

I say this knowing I'm posting on iMore and will be generally disagreed with. Noted, and thank-you.
Android has more features. Most are not innovative. File browsers? on desktops. Downloads from browser? On desktops. Setting default apps? On desktop. Don't give me the BS that Android is "innovative" It has more features though and that is why I choose Android over any PRESENT iPhone.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd pretty much agree with this. Despite all it's 'limitations' compared to the nexus 7 it still dominated the small tablet market. The thing is Apple don't really need to better the new nexus 7 in terms of specs. The mini 2 will still obliterate the nexus 7 in terms of sales.

Also who's to say that the new nexus 7 has a good battery life? It's pretty untested at the moment. The first nexus 7's battery life wasn't that good. I'd rather have a capable and reliable mini than an all singing all dancing nexus 7 with all manner of bugs and instabilities.

The new Nexus 7 is nor buggy or unstable. You should seriously consider using one before making stupid assumptions.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
chetan seeing your previous comments it is visible that you are probably using wrong forum to express your views.. you should try android central, they would respect android fanboys like you!

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
chetan seeing your previous comments it is visible that you are probably using wrong forum to express your views.. you should try android central, they would respect android fanboys like you!

bwhahahahahahaha typical response. I love my iPad 4 far more then the Nexus 7 but that guy shouldn't make stupid assumptios such as that. I am hardly an Android fanboy far from it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This thread is about the new Nexus screen VS The iPad Mini screen. Please keep the discussion friendly and get back on topic. Thank you.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Android is ahead features-wise, but Apple presents things in a pleasing way. Products that on paper are the same or slightly inferior just FEEL better. This is why they sell.

That said, it's time for a Retina iPad Mini. And it's time soon for Apple to wow us again with a product design that we didn't know we wanted/needed.

Are you sure android is ahead features wise? Really sure? Like sure as in you'd bet your house on it?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR