Music won't download from iCloud

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Just got my wife a new 16gb iPad mini. She has an iPhone 4S and is familiar with iOS. We use her AppleID on the mini, all the apps are downloaded from iCloud without issues.

I'm having an issue with music. Music app has no songs. Under the iTunes store in the Purchased section, it has all her purchased music with the option to download from iCloud. If we tap the cloud icon to download it, the track appers in the download section, starts to down load, completes to 100%, then disappears from the downloads section of the iTunes store. If we go into Music, it still says no music is available. If we go back to the purchased section, it still has the option to download the track, even though we just did. Any thoughts?

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
She doesn't have a subscription, we haven't paid for that. Only the song purchases.

So the $25/year subscription is required to download purchases on device?

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
She doesn't have a subscription, we haven't paid for that. Only the song purchases.

So the $25/year subscription is required to download purchases on device?

Actually, the subscription is not needed to download purchases to a device. Have you tried first: making sure that the iPad is updated to the current Firmware/OS Version. Secondly: Doing a hard reset: where you hold the power and home buttons similtanously till the white apple logo appears? There is also resetting the device.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Out of the box it was on iOS 6.1.2. I updated to 6.1.3 via iTunes.
We just got it last night, so I don't know if a full device wipe would matter.

I haven't tried a hard reset, just a power off. I will try that and report back.

EDIT: hard reset hasn't worked either.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just got my wife a new 16gb iPad mini. She has an iPhone 4S and is familiar with iOS. We use her AppleID on the mini, all the apps are downloaded from iCloud without issues.... Any thoughts?

By chance is/was the music purchased under a different AppleID than the apps?? That could be the issue.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would try just power off and power on to see if that helps.
I tried that a few times, even a hard reset. No luck.

By chance is/was the music purchased under a different AppleID than the apps?? That could be the issue.
No, the music was purchased under her current AppleID. She did have a few apps purchased a long time ago under a different ID that showed up and didn't download. We just deleted them.

It just seems strange, it recognizes all the purchased music but after downloading them via the device they just are gone.

Right now she is the only iOS user. She hasn't connected her iPhone to a computer in a long time. In fact the computer is no longer in use. I installed iTunes on my Windows PC and was going to try and transfer things from iPhone to PC and then back to iPad, but things just don't work that way.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just an update:

I was able to dig up the old computer with all my wife's music and movies. I updated iTunes and synced her iPhone 4S to it so that the computer has all the latest music and movies she purchased.

I then connect the iPad mini. I tunes sees it, I check the boxes for Sync Music and Sync Movies. The bottom bar that shows storage usage now has bars for movies and music taking up a sizable chunk of the iPad's space. I click Sync, a few things happen and then it says at the top something along the lines of "Attempting to save settings to device" for about 30 seconds, then it stops. No more progress bar, and the storage is back down to being without music or movies. In other words, the Sync failed without much of a notification from iTunes.

Basically, downloading from iCloud on the device doesn't work, and syncing from iTunes doesn't work either. We have an appointment this Saturday at a Genius Bar.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Issue Resolved.

Just to bring this thread to a close in case someone else searches for this problem.

The guy at the Apple store couldn't figure it out and decided just to do a factory reset. The reset resolved the issue. I guess the device fresh from the factory isn't exactly the same as doing a factory reset. Now syncing and icloud downloads work great. The only issue is that my wife is mad at me because she lost her Sims 3 progress and to that I say: Deal with it.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
He set it as the device is wiped, new out of box setup. The Device is empty with nothing setup.

You were doing a reset of the device itself, that does not change anything in the OS and keeps all files and data.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
He set it as the device is wiped, new out of box setup. The Device is empty with nothing setup.

You were doing a reset of the device itself, that does not change anything in the OS and keeps all files and data.

Yes, I may have not worded it correct but I understand all of this. The problem started out of the box (literally), but after he performed the "new out of box setup" the issue went away. That was the counter-intuitive part of it for me - why the problem happened right out of the box from Apple but was resolved after a wipe.

Ted Tidwell

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my iPad, none of the suggestions seem to correct the problem and this is the only info I can find on the problem. Any other suggestions or updates in the issue?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my iPad, none of the suggestions seem to correct the problem and this is the only info I can find on the problem. Any other suggestions or updates in the issue?

Hook to iTunes and click restore

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Tanya Johnson2

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the hard reset advice! I just purchased a new 32G iPod Touch for my husband and his music wasn't downloading from the Cloud and we couldn't figure out why. I read your blog and tried the hard reset and it is working!!! Thank you! :):yes:

meggomeggo

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice about rebooting the iPhone 6. iTune Music that seemed to be "undownloadable" (new word) from the cloud suddenly downloaded! Yippee!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal