From an iPad 2 to an iPad Mini

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm this close to selling my iPad 2 and getting an iPad Mini.

I take it a few of you have done this. Was it 'really' worth it? I'm still on the fence, but if I switch I'll get a 32GB at least. Currently I only have a 16GB iPad 2.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Made the leap my self and haven't regretted it. U can notice the picture size a bit when ur watching a movie but for me at least that went away after a few times. Love the portability of it compared to the iPad 2. I think you'll definitely like it and not regret the move either. Good luck.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
navI, my mom got a 64g iPad mini for Christmas from my dad. She still has her iPad 1st gen and uses it, BUT she definately uses and enjoys the mini more :)

MrJDStokes

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 3 to a mini, absolutely love it , it's more comfortable in size to hold, I find it more personal than a larger sized iPad. Go for it bud ;-)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Picked up a 64GB Mini and sold my 16GB iPad 2 to the Best Buy sales guy who sold me the Mini. Love, Love LOVE the Mini. It's what the iPad should have been from the start. You won't regret it.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the iPad mini is perfect to me. This is definitely the size that the iPad should've been. I take this thing everywhere, including the grocery store...and I don't feel like a tool when I bust it out. I really don't notice the resolution difference and think its just something for technophiles to argue over.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned the 2, but my mother has it and I prefer my mini hands down. Camera is light years better than the ipad 2 and I find typing a pleasure in the mini in either position. It's so light I find that I take it everywhere with me even if I don't need it with me. (Something that I need to break myself of.)

Speaking of the camera, I don't feel like such a tool pulling it out in public to snap a few shots because it it just so small and portable. Battery life is stellar too. I only charge it every other day and I'm on it a lot. My mini has become my on the go tablet and my BlackBerry PlayBook has become my laptop. Both are portable as heck, but as this is the newer device, the battery will go longer.

I would dump an iPad 2 for an iPad mini any day of the week.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips and points. My other question is do most of you have the wifi model or the 3G model?

Sent via iMore app on iPad 2...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips and points. My other question is do most of you have the wifi model or the 3G model?

Sent via iMore app on iPad 2...

I bought the wifi at first. Couldn't handle wifi only and returned it. Bought the LTE model for AT&T and added it to my shared data plan for just $10 extra.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you mentioned what you will mainly use it for. If you do much typing w/o an external keyboard, I think the mini would be a problem. I haven't had much time on one yet, but my friend has both. He types on the iPad 3 more like he would on a normal keyboard and his speed is pretty good. He says that with the mini, it's more like his iPhone in that he types with two fingers or his thumbs... which makes for much slower input. If it wasn't for that, I'd have gotten one already, as well, to replace my iPad 2. But, I just do too much typing on the virtual keyboard for it to make sense for me at this point. For web surfing, reading e-books, and apps where you don't need really fine UI input, I think it would be perfect.

janjan18_18

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
4-6months expect the Retina Display Ipad Mini with the same price as of now. If you can wait, I prefer waiting the Retina Mini. Ipad 2 still works smoothly but not that portable because of the size. But it depends upon your use. If the weight isn't a big deal, go with Ipad3 or Ipad4, and If Retina isn't necessary for you The IpadMini upgrade from an Ipad2 is suitable for you.

jeans94621

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you mentioned what you will mainly use it for. If you do much typing w/o an external keyboard, I think the mini would be a problem. I haven't had much time on one yet, but my friend has both. He types on the iPad 3 more like he would on a normal keyboard and his speed is pretty good. He says that with the mini, it's more like his iPhone in that he types with two fingers or his thumbs... which makes for much slower input. If it wasn't for that, I'd have gotten one already, as well, to replace my iPad 2. But, I just do too much typing on the virtual keyboard for it to make sense for me at this point. For web surfing, reading e-books, and apps where you don't need really fine UI input, I think it would be perfect.

That was my biggest concern also. I find typing on the keyboard in landscape mode is almost the same if not better than with the bigger iPad. Tell you friend to at least try to type in landscape mode and he will see how easy it is. I love the mini. But I am coming from an iPad first generation so this is a major improvement.

aubreyq

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I find typing on the keyboard in landscape mode is almost the same if not better than with the bigger iPad. Tell you friend to at least try to type in landscape mode and he will see how easy it is. I love the mini. But I am coming from an iPad first generation so this is a major improvement.
I also have an iPad 1st generation but like you, I love the mini. No, I don't own a mini yet but held it and used it a bit at the store. The size is perfect, another big win for Apple when it comes to getting the size right on a tablet. Too bad I can't justify buying one now but that's good because whenever I get some extra cash then maybe a newer mini will be out ;)

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I love being able to stick my mini in my pocket. It's not retina, but it does the job. I got the 32gb model. You won't be disappointed.

oundn1#AC

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Switched from 16gb iPad 2 wifi to 32gb mini with cellular lte and have no regrets. Perfect size for everything. Easier to haul around and was able to get more GBs and LTE for the money

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
That was my biggest concern also. I find typing on the keyboard in landscape mode is almost the same if not better than with the bigger iPad. Tell you friend to at least try to type in landscape mode and he will see how easy it is. I love the mini. But I am coming from an iPad first generation so this is a major improvement.

I really need to get one side by side with my iPad2, but wouldn't a mini in landscape be pretty close to the iPad 2 in portrait as far as the virtual keyboard size? If that is the case, then I think I'd disagree with my friend that typing would be as slow as with an iPhone, but certainly not as fast as I can go in landscape on my iPad 2. It is more, IMO, than just bigger targets, but it's also close enough to a standard keyboard that muscle-memory from normal typing helps. I suppose if you ONLY typed on the mini, you could eventually get pretty fast, as there seems to be enough space to actually use all your fingers... just barely for me though (well, at least on my iPad2 in portrait).

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
WiFi only. I'm almost always in WiFi, and when I'm not I have a Verizon MiFi.

I'd second this. Other than a phone or very specific applications, I tend to not want cellular built-in. Apart from the initial cost difference, you're locked to that standard and have to have another data plan, etc. I'd rather use a MiFi type device or tethering from a phone for all my devices than having individual cellular in each. I guess there is a convenience factor to having it... but just be sure to weigh that against the costs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal