iPad mini help-do i need it?

rockrchic923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I am contemplating buying an ipad mini and I am just wondering if it's worth it. I have an ipad 2 right now and am wanting to "retire it" to my mother but is the mini worth it for a replacement/use in conjunction with device for the money. I used my ipad mostly for reading and surfing the web, but i need some help justifing another tablet.

Then who got their's from verizon? Do you like the LTE service? And I was seeing somewhere that it said internal storage, does that mean that it has the option for additional storage?

I do have an android tablet laying around the house, and with the LTE service it doesn't work without the sim card. Is the mini from verizon the same way?

Thanks so much for all the help

Ashleigh

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
1.) Then who got their's from verizon? Do you like the LTE service?
I have a Verizon mifi for work. When LTE was released it was blazing fast in my area but has slowed A LOT in the past year. It is still very usable with 6-8mbps downloads and good pings so you can stream video and even use FaceTime. But your area might be different. For my personal phone I have ATT bc they have good coverage her and their 3G is as fast as Verizon's LTE and I pay less. All depends on where you live.

2.) And I was seeing somewhere that it said internal storage, does that mean that it has the option for additional storage?
No, internal only. Will never be external storage for any Apple product, this is how they make their money.

3.)I do have an android tablet laying around the house, and with the LTE service it doesn't work without the sim card. Is the mini from verizon the same way?
Yes, you need the Verizon SIM but it will come with one. You can opt for pay as you go so that you do not need to swap out the SIM every time you re-activate your plan.

Overall, if you have the money to spend, it is a great tablet.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It will work without the sim providing you have a WiFi connection.

The Mini is a great device. I got rid of my iPad 2 and went to the Mini. Haven't regretted it for a second.

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I've got the Verizon Black 64g and like it better than the full sized ipad 3 used to have. The mini LTE version comes with a sim card that you can activate on Verizon. It costs $10 per month to add it your share everything plan. As mentioned above, you can also use it wifi only without a sim or without the sim being active. With the great mini battery life, it also makes a great device to tether your laptop to when needed. Do you "need it" if you have an ipad 2 and/or another tablet device? No, but it is a very nice device that is easy to carry, great to use, and after all is said and done, it's a matter of want versus need for about any smartphone or tablet device if we really think about it.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The mini is a great device to own. I preferred it over ipad 2 as I use it mainly while travelling. Although I had to pay over $400 (in India) to purchase one!!

French

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I also had an iPad 2 but after owning a Kindle Fire HD I determined I prefer a smaller form factor. I wish I had had someone to "retire" it to as it would have been easier than selling it online.

I would say if you think your mother will enjoy the iPad 2 and you also believe you prefer a smaller form factor, go for it. I had both the iPad 2 and mini at the same time for a brief period of time and the iPad 2 seemed humongous in comparison. I even read magazines on the mini and am very content with the experience. About the only thing that the large iPad might be better is drawing/editing photos but even that hasn't been a problem for me on the mini.

I opted for AT&T as I have a Verizon cell phone. This way I can tether using Verizon if needed and if Verizon isn't working, I can fall back on AT&T. I haven't actually had to activate the LTE sim yet as I've had access to wifi or my tethering whenever I've needed it. In order for LTE to work you will need to have a SIM card, which it should be sold with, and you will have to have some sort of plan. However you could also just rely on wifi but know that wifi isn't everywhere or even if it is, it could be locked down.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711