Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default 6 year old just got iPad mini--get her own apple ID?

When setting up my little girls new iPad, I instinctively just entered my apple ID to set it up. But now I'm starting to question that. I obviously don't want any of my iMessages synced to her iPad and I'm not sure FaceTime would work correctly if grandparents wanted to FaceTime with her. Won't she need an email address to use iMessage and FaceTime? Are there any pros/cons to using my current apple ID for this iPad? What are the pros/cons for getting her own email address and apple ID?

Thanks to everyone who reads and responds.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

you can use different Apple IDs one on the store for the apps. Then create a new one in iCloud for iMessage and Facetime or leave it not logged in.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I have just that situation with minis for my 5 and 9 year olds.

I would say yes, sign her up for her own Apple ID. That's what I did for my kids even though you do have to lie about their age when you sign up because the minimum age is 13. I didn't want their AppStore or iTunes Store linked to my Apple ID and therefore my credit card. If you want to let her purchase stuff, you can get an iTunes gift card and put the value of it on her account.

Don't forget to put on parental restrictions. For instance, I left the App Store available for my 9 year old and disabled it for my 5 year old (at least for a little while she can come ask me when she wants something new and I might enable it when I see if she's being responsible about it). But even for the 9 year old I set the in-app purchase limit to ask for her password every time so that she's aware that she's spending money. I also set up the age and rating restrictions.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Re: 6 year old just got iPad mini--get her own apple ID?

So I go to iCloud.com on her iPad or my phone, sign in, then click create a new apple ID? I'm not totally clear on what you mean.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

I figured it out. Thanks for your suggestion! Worked perfectly!!!

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

If you're signed out of the App Store (go to the bottom of the page and click sign out), then click sign in, it should give you a choice to sign in with an existing apple ID or create a new one.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,064 Global Posts

Both my kids have iPhones with their own user ID. I hold the password so there aren't any purchases made without me knowing.
    iPhone Nanite

Hi this I apple id is easy and thanks for no credit card its kind easy and by