Is the iPad Mini worth it if you have the iPad 3

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I am debating on getting a mini but I already have the iPad 3. Is it worth having both. I would love to have one for home and one to travel with. Maybe it's just my inner geek in wanting something new. Thoughts anyone?

Sorry if this is already a topic!

emirozmen

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Mini is great for the setup you want. However, if you admire retina displays so much you could hold off for the "new iPad Mini" :)

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To me, no. Had a iPad 3 since it came out, and the original iPad before that. I went and got one this week, and returned it after 24 hours. I know YMMV, but I can't use the screen after using the Retina as long as I have. Love the form factor, but can't use the screen - the text appeared so fuzzy to me that it was hurting my eyes. And I do lots of reading, so I depend on the clarity. I know I could have tried to keep it and get used to it, but I don't feel like I should have to compromise on the display.

tonypich

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I sold my iPad 3 and went with the Mini LTE. Totally worth it. I know take it with me everywhere. Size is perfect unless you need to do lots of data entry, in which case you probably want to go to a physical keyboard device anyways. I use the MacAir for that.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I sold my iPad 3 and went with the Mini LTE. Totally worth it. I know take it with me everywhere. Size is perfect unless you need to do lots of data entry, in which case you probably want to go to a physical keyboard device anyways. I use the MacAir for that.

I agree with the portability, and I know I'd carry a mini with me more than a iPad 3...there's a cool Logitech keyboard accessory I got at the Apple Store the other night, that uses the keyboard via Bluetooth connection to the iPad, and doubles as a fold-down screen protector. Also uses it as a stand. Adds significant weight, but it lets me do work on Pages files, iBooks I'm using for school, and with the cellular connection, lets it all sync back to iCloud on the go.

GreenDize12

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I sold the iPad 3 for a Mini, and I'm glad I did. But I only recommend it if u don't care about Retina. Personally I could careless about retina but it seems most won't agree. It never awed me, I just want it to work.

greer451

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a 3 and a mini. I take the mini everywhere with me. Screen doesn't bother me. I read all the time on it, as soon as I get home on my wifi, everything I've done on the mini syncs up with the 3. I also often use both at the same time. If I was forced to choose one device only it would be the mini. Even if apple does bring out retina, I'd need to see how heavy or thick it was. I like how light and thin the mini is. Not sure I would want to give that up for retina.

Lisa Williams1

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would only say buy it if you don't have any other means for Internet service. However, I am typing this message from my new IPad Mini. I love it and I am so happy that I bought it. I needed this because my iPhone or any smartphone for that matter doesn't open websites in it entirety especially when you really need to see information. I still have my old IPod, but I leave it in the bathroom to listen to music while I shower or take a bath. You must look at all of your options don't spend your money just to spend it. Either way, Have a Nice Holiday!

Alexutz

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would hold off. They're bound to get a new IPad mini out with retina display and better hardware. Felt a bit dissapointed when I saw the specs on the iPad Mini.

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Not worth it. I was in the same boat as you and the screen real estate is just perfect for what I use the ipad for.

If you have the iPhone 5, ipad 3 is perfect. The mini sits too much in between too have all three. If you didn't have an iphone 5 and had the iPhone 4/s the ipad mini would of made more sense. Leave the ipad 3 for home/work, use i4 as you do normally, and carry the ipad mini around.

Also not sure where you live but carrying an ipad mini during winter might be easy as you can put it in your jacket/coat but come summer time where is it gonna go? Your back pocket?

I used to do that with the Galaxy Tab 7" but it got old quick and the screen size gets annoying fast as well. Constantly have to zoom in.

cvk14

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I was having problems hitting the tap targets in the UI. It's also one generation behind the iPad 3 hardware. Best to stick it out with the three.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking to have both then maybe depending on what you want with it. If you would be getting rid of the ipad 3 to get it I would say it would be a bad idea. Not only is the ipad 3 a better spec'd tablet it was also more expensive and you would probably be out some money. I think the mini is great but I find it out that all everyone said was the ipad 3 was so awesome because of retina display and know to a lot they don't care anymore, it is kind of confusing.

If you could sell the ipad 3 for a really good price then it might be alright because I know a lot of people prefer the mini's size, I personally do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711