Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: Is the iPad Mini worth it if you have the iPad 3

I sold my 3 and my 2. Picked up the mini instead. Not at all bothered by the lack of a retina display. The smaller screen means the pixels are packed in tighter. The size is just perfect, in my opinion. So much easier to use than the retina display ipad.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Is the iPad Mini worth it if you have the iPad 3

I think it's worth it, we have a 4th gen and a mini. I take the mini to work I use it on the train
    It's terrific for travel, but I love my 4th gen at night.
    gadgetman#CB likes this.
    iPhone Beginner

I own a ipad4 and a mini they are my first iPads I own I originally bought me the4 and my son the mini,then he decided he wanted to return his mini and get a Xbox rather than doing that I kept it and bought him his Xbox ,I love having both the mini feels great, I carry it everywhere when I'm home it's ipad4 all the way the screen is a diff but if you use it normally without focusing on it , it's not that bad, as far as processor I don't notice a diff, my wifi is better on my 4 but there two diff animals and if you can afford to own both go for it, as far as mini with retina I'm not so sure it's coming I'm not sure it's not but I wouldn't count on it, I know reliable sources guarantee a ipad 5 with outsides to be more like a mini and be thinner and lighter I also know of a iphone5s both of those are slated to be released in the first half of 2013 but as of know the mini with retina is a rumor started by consumers who think it should have it but that would completely change the price point and size but who knows they might do it , I just wouldn't hold my breath

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

iOS must be really nimble as it appears to manage very well with the .5gb processor on the mini and the 1gb on the iPad 3. Other tabs are 1.5gb on Droid and huff and puff. Just shows, it's not all about specs.

Mini for mobility and home.
    iPad 4 for home only.

iMO
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

I agree with all who abandoned iPad 3 in favor of mini. I sold the 3 -yes, at a loss, but for me it was worth it. The added value of taking mini literally everywhere more than offsets any "loss" from dumping the 3. The mini I use has more value for $$ than an iPad 3 just sitting there.
    Thanked by:
    bgesullo (01-05-2013)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    I agree with all who abandoned iPad 3 in favor of mini. I sold the 3 -yes, at a loss, but for me it was worth it. The added value of taking mini literally everywhere more than offsets any "loss" from dumping the 3. The mini I use has more value for $$ than an iPad 3 just sitting there.
    Yeah I see your point there. For me having a iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 fine for now. I use my iPad as a business / media device so having that extra screen size is perfect for me. The mini does look very nice. Very tempting to get lol
    bgesullo
    iPhone 5 White 32GB>iPad 3 White 16GB>MacBook Pro
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

So after owning the 13"rMBP, 3rd gen iPad, and iPhone 5 I thought I couldn't do without the retina display. I got one for my wife and I have to say I use the mini more than my 3rd gen iPad. The screen does bother me, but the smaller footprint and accessibility makes it the better device.

Thanks to iMore and Givit I just won the iPad Mini contest so I will be enjoying mine soon enough. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. As far as dumping my 3rd gen iPad I honestly can't tell you as I love the display and for certain things like my college classes (using the wonderful app Notability) the larger iPad is the better choice.

Apple did an excellent job of making the mini and making sure that it was a valid option to the iPad not just a cheaper smaller cousin if you will. They both have their draws. If I was to place a bet I would bet we won't see a retina mini for at least a couple years. The technology is just not there yet. Apple always uses the same equation for retina (even kind of did on the iPhone 5 by just making it larger and not wider). If they did this it would have the same resolution as the 3rd and 4th gen iPad and at the smaller size it would have an amazing ppi. Apple has to keep people into spending more money and making - $329 iPad mini have the best display of the iPad family really makes no sense unless they do a 3X or even better 4X jump to the 2X both directions in pixels they do now. I think we are more apt to see an iPad mini S (if you will) in 2013 with an A6, 1Gb or RAM etc with no retina. It just doesn't make sense and Apple won't make it's huge margins that it makes sure they always have on their iOS equipped devices. Just my theory. I've been wrong before.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Wish I was getting the iPad mini from a contest! I am still debating though. I've been using my PlayBook more than my iPad because of the form factor. I need to go to the apple store and play with one more. I do love the retina display on my iPad 3
    bgesullo
    FRoStYisGoD likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #34  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Wish I was getting the iPad mini from a contest! I am still debating though. I've been using my PlayBook more than my iPad because of the form factor. I need to go to the apple store and play with one more. I do love the retina display on my iPad 3
    bgesullo
    Banned

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I gave the old iPad to my young brother and then bought the ipad mini.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I totally agree. I would even go as far as to say wait for the third generation of the iPad Mini- if you have that kind of patience.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

When you have mini, you will quickly figure out that ---- Mini is a must-buy while should sell your ipad 3 FAST FAST FAST ! lol
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wouldn't think that the iPad mini is worth it if you have an iPad 3.
    iPhone Newbie

From what I've read everyone seems to be ditching their iPads after receiving the Mini.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by trevorcaudill View Post
    From what I've read everyone seems to be ditching their iPads after receiving the Mini.
    I think that a lot of people like the smaller lighter profile. But I still like the bigger size for typing and viewing videos.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I bought an iPad mini and got rid of it because of the screen. It doesn't work for me, I prefer the bigger screen and am fine holding it. I know my girlfriend much prefers it due to the purseability and she has smaller hands than I. But the retina display is all that for me. Especially watching video and browsing sites like The Verge. Wait until a retina display comes to the mini. the iPad 3 is still a great tablet.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts

I just bought my iPad 3 on Craigslist about a week ago. Its awesome, but I can't help but to think I should have stuck with my oiginal plan to buy an iPad mini. I had a Nexus 7 and really liked the size. I use my tablet a lot for reading. I also like to have it with me every day. I can carry the iPad 3 in my purse easy enough, but I find myself hesitant to take it out and use it in situations that I previously had used my Nexus 7. Waiting for the bus, for example. If I'm on my lunch break and take out my iPad to read thats one thing, but stuff like waiting in line for the bus or at the bank, etc., the iPad 3 seems a little unwieldly in those situations. I'm debating if I should just go out and get the mini and keep both, or not get the mini at all, or sell the 3 and get the mini... Ugh! I could probably do a "trade in" but I hate to lose money on an iPad I just bought a week ago. I really want both but I can't really justify spending $1000 on iPads within a week. LOL!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

I didn't think that the mini would be as useful to me, compared to the full sized iPad. Turns out, it's the perfect size. Glad I bought it. Gave the other iPad to my wife.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I have the iPad 3 and iPad Mini. I got used to the non-retina screen quick and it doesn't even bother me now. I use my iPad Mini 95% of the time since its size and weight is so comfortable. I probably will stick with the iPad Mini for all future upgrades.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've switched from iPad 4 32gb Wifi to iPad Mini 64gb + 4g so there's the first advantage there price wise. It took me all of the 1 day to adapt to the mini & carry on using the iPad as I always have but now having more portability. I still have my iPad 4 for the time being (it's up for sale) & when I grabbed it the other day it felt huge & heavy. I feel after a couple if upgrades the iPad mini will be the biggest seller out the two. I think for now some people daren't make the 'Downgrade' to it but I'm really happy with it plus I've doubled my storage & got 4g which I couldn't have stretched to price wise with the iPad 4.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I have the iPad 3 and just picked up a mini yesterday. The iPad will stay home and the Mini will come with me on the road. I came from a Playbook and I really liked the size of it but hated everything else.....now I have the best of both worlds! It fits in my jacket and is a lot lighter....way more portable. This is exactly what i was looking for. I would have rather had an LTE but I couldnt justify paying that much more LTE when I can just tether of my iphone 5.
    Former avid Blackberry user that pre-ordered and paid $499 for the Playbook. I have seen the light!

Now in my home we have iPhone 5, 4s and 4. iPod touch, Apple TV and iPad 2 and iPad 3 and now iPad mini.
    Banned

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Not at all.. The iPad mini is not Apple grade product..

Global Posts
    20,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TejasBH View Post
    Not at all.. The iPad mini is not Apple grade product..
    Define "Apple grade".
    Banned

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Define "Apple grade".
    I'm not impressed with the battery, display nor the processor. It doesn't bring anything new to the table over the iPad 3 besides size. Apple grade would be a high-quality display and something new with the hardware. Both are missing on the iPad mini.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TejasBH View Post
    I'm not impressed with the battery, display nor the processor. It doesn't bring anything new to the table over the iPad 3 besides size. Apple grade would be a high-quality display and something new with the hardware. Both are missing on the iPad mini.
    I agree it's not the iPad3 but do you really need Retina on a screen that size? Sure it would be nice...but it's not necessary. Faster processor? it's fast enough for what most people will use it for.

Former avid Blackberry user that pre-ordered and paid $499 for the Playbook. I have seen the light!

Now in my home we have iPhone 5, 4s and 4. iPod touch, Apple TV and iPad 2 and iPad 3 and now iPad mini.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast