Did you try to look past non-retina when purchasing the iPad Mini?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I tried. I really, really wanted a compact tablet. The processor and other things were fine
for me. I didn't mind it. It was as fast as I liked. I just could not get used to that display.
Just couldn't. Especially because I've been using retina since the iPhone 4 and have
had an iPad 3 since it came out this year. Made me realize how much I value a really
nice display on my devices. Also made me realize how much I use my iPad.

Long story short, returned my iPad mini and exchanged it for an iPad 4 64gig
Wifi+Cellular. A present to myself. Anyone else take back the Mini solely on
the downscaled display?

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I have an iPad 3, an iPhone 5, and an iPad mini. The display on the mini doesn't bother me one bit. Sure I notice the difference.. But the portability and the fact that I can thumb type on it make it superb. I've hardly touched the iPad 3 since the mini arrived!

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nope. the Non-Retina ipad mini does not bother me at all just like the above poster mentioned. I do have an iphone 4S (retina), a MBP (non-retina) and I can pretty much go back and forth (retina to Non-retina) without any problems.

I have been waiting for this ipad mini ever since Steve Jobs announced the 1st gen. ipad. But of course I'm 100% ipad (all 10 inch) hater so I would never ever get an ipad with that big screen. So I personally thank Tim Cook for announcing the iPad Mini (well Apple that is).

tlbaker1

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried. I really, really wanted a compact tablet. The processor and other things were fine
for me. I didn't mind it. It was as fast as I liked. I just could not get used to that display.
Just couldn't. Especially because I've been using retina since the iPhone 4 and have
had an iPad 3 since it came out this year. Made me realize how much I value a really
nice display on my devices. Also made me realize how much I use my iPad.

Long story short, returned my iPad mini and exchanged it for an iPad 4 64gig
Wifi+Cellular. A present to myself. Anyone else take back the Mini solely on
the downscaled display?

I would try to wait for the new iPad mini with retina display that we know is coming sometime in 2013 first / second quarter.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would try to wait for the new iPad mini with retina display that we know is coming sometime in 2013 first / second quarter.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

I agree. I would think it would be a selling point for the 2nd gen.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope...I didn't return mine because of the display. I think the display is just fine for my needs.

I have been waiting for a small tablet from Apple so I jumped as soon as I heard it was coming.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any problems with the display. Unless you're zooming in close on HQ images or something, there's not much difference between retina and non. It's all in people's minds.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't have any problems with the display. Unless you're zooming in close on HQ images or something, there's not much difference between retina and non. It's all in people's minds.

Nah. It's pretty noticeable from the start. Zooming in displays the difference
that much more, though. I agree with you there.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Sold iPad 3 (limited edition, retina with vintage connector). Difference is noticeable in direct side by side comparison-'the thing everyone does when shopping, and nobody does when actually using. Like WhiteiPadMini, I've been waiting for this form factor. I have iPhone 5 with retina, and do not notice a difference back& forth. I never think about it. The best display for me is the one I will carry and use. for me, that's the mini.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Nah. It's pretty noticeable from the start. Zooming in displays the difference
that much more, though. I agree with you there.

I agree there is some difference, but It just was not big enough for me to care. I probably won't even upgrade when the retina does come out.

The size and weight are just perfect in my opinion to pass on it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why would I want to look past the screen on my mini? If I did I'd miss just about everything that makes it such a great tablet. Besides it's small size that is..... :cool:

I love my iPad Mini! :D

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I would love retina but the mini screen is respectable. It will get me by fine until the day a retina mini is released.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Gotta say, I'm surprised with the responses here.

Me too. Perhaps it's because at least in these forums you thought people were buying the retina & quality screen arguments finally. (After all, why did anyone upgrade to an ipad 3 at the time?) Apple does a 180 and all of a sudden screen quality doesn't matter.

It does give one perspective on how little the ppi wars matter to the mainstream and how mainstream the forums are these days. I certainly don't fault Apple. They know their market. I don't see a retina Mini coming anytime soon.

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I sold my iPad 3 and went to Best Buy to check out the iPad mini. I kept walking back and forth between the mini and iPad 4. In the store I thought the I could probably get used to the screen on the iPad mini, so I went ahead and bought it. Took it home and did a lot of web surfing, video watching, game playing. I just can't say how much I loved the feel of the tablet in my hand. I had a Nexus 7 and currently have a Fire HD 7 and have grown to love the smaller tablet size. The iPad mini feels lighter than my 7 inch tablets, doesn't seem physically much bigger at all, but it's screen just seems huge compared to those 7 inch tablets.

But I just couldn't get used to how pixelated everything seemed. Even games were starting to look uglier, though I could forgive those. It was just a real disappointment to go from Retina to this when browsing the web. So I returned it to Best Buy and got the iPad 4 instead. It's heavier and much less comfortable to hold, but I think I value the retina screen over the portability afterall.

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all! I have the Retina Display on both my iPhone 5, and my iPad 3. While it can be obvious that the mini is not retina, it really doesn't bother me at all. The more I use it, the less and less it becomes obvious. This is one great piece of technology, I really can't see the display as justification for not purchasing the mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all! I have the Retina Display on both my iPhone 5, and my iPad 3. While it can be obvious that the mini is not retina, it really doesn't bother me at all. The more I use it, the less and less it becomes obvious. This is one great piece of technology, I really can't see the display as justification for not purchasing the mini. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coming from a iPad 3 and picking up my mini today at the Apple Store. I'm hoping I'll get used to the screen - I think after you use it for longer periods of time, you quit noticing the difference. I want that portability, which has led me to try out a Nexus 7 for a while. This'll satisfy my need for a smaller tablet, and can't think of many reasons I'd need to keep my larger iPad around.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a iPad 3 and picking up my mini today at the Apple Store. I'm hoping I'll get used to the screen - I think after you use it for longer periods of time, you quit noticing the difference. I want that portability, which has led me to try out a Nexus 7 for a while. This'll satisfy my need for a smaller tablet, and can't think of many reasons I'd need to keep my larger iPad around.

If you are going to try the Mini out, it is best to do it on its own without putting it side by side with your iPad 3. That is what I had to do when I purchased the iPad 4 and my Mini at the same time. Putting the Mini against the iPad 4 all the time made it harder of me to get used to the Mini's display. However, after using the Mini by itself for about two days I got used to the screen and have since returned the iPad 4 and kept my Mini. I think both tablets are nice, but it depends on whether you want a nicer screen or a smaller more portable tablet....

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am not surprised by the comments in this thread. I think people do way too much comparison viewing and this of course would make the mini display not look as good. If you just get it and start using it, you will slowly get use to it and won't really be that bothered by it. The only reason most are bother is because they continue to compare the retina and non-retina. I had a iPad 3 sold it to get an iPad mini. However, I was concerned about the non-retina display so I ordered the iPad 4 too. I sent the iPad 4 back after about 10 days of owning both. It was only after I really just committed to the iPad mini that I really begin to enjoy it. The size and weight just out weighed the display being non-retina in my opinion.

I will say that I wish the non-retina display on the iPad Mini handled text rendering better and I don't mean clarity. I mean size wise, I think Apple needs to address this in the future. I think for many that have returned the mini its been more related to the tiny text than actually being non-retina.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711