Did you try to look past non-retina when purchasing the iPad Mini?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Going from a small form factor retina display to a bigger one wouldn't cause me to feel the way I do about the display. I was coming from using an iPad 3with retina, and the difference was, well, obvious. I'm not nitpicking at all.

You have to be freaking blind not to see the difference. Not only is text fuzzy/blurry but the small rendering of text makes it look even worse. I have a iPad mini and do like it a lot, but the fact is if you plan to primarily use the device for reading and surfing you may want to check one out for yourself before you pull the trigger.

I agree you are not nitpicking, but giving an honest opinion and assessment. I am not going to pretend because someone else says the iPad mini screen is fine. If it is for them great, but it won't be for everyone. I was initially overwhelmed with the size and weight but overtime that gave into reality.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I just got the mini and my wife got the iPad 4 and the screen doesn't bother me at all. I have a Nexus 7 (which I'll probably be selling soon) so I love the smaller form of the mini. This is the best tablet I've used and wouldn't think of getting rid of it for a iPad 4.

RaiderWill

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I am having a dense moment, but how do you figure this? If they can make iPods and iPhones with Retina displays and make them thinner and with the iPhone have 4g lte why is it impossible to do this for the mini? If they don't come out with a Retina screen next time around I think the mini will probably be a short lived product.
The way I figure it is simple..

The Phone & Pod are 4" inch divices.. The Pad a 10" inch device.. Maybe "I" am having a Dense Moment.. but last time I check NEITHER of the Retina Units will Power / Fit the 8" inch Mini...

The Battery in the 4" inch device surely cannot power the 8" Mini for 10 Hours ( The Bar Has Been Set..Can't decrease Screen Time Now ) and the Battery in the 10" device will not fit..

So.. We are talking New Everything ( Battery,Quad-Core GPU and Retina Unit ) News Flash: It simply will not happen at this Price Point and it would no longer be a Mini.. Too Heavy.. To Expensive.. But it would have a slightly better Screen.

Yes Apple can do it.. But They Made The Decision NOT TO DO IT.

I know it takes some getting use to... But now Apple has Two Different Classes of iPad..

It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got the mini and my wife got the iPad 4 and the screen doesn't bother me at all. I have a Nexus 7 (which I'll probably be selling soon) so I love the smaller form of the mini. This is the best tablet I've used and wouldn't think of getting rid of it for a iPad 4.

Not bothering you and not being able to see the difference are two different things. It does not bother me generally, but I can absolutely see the difference in clarity.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

Redbird1

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Just got the iPad Mini yesterday. I knew going in, that it wouldn't have the clarity of retina. That said, I was a little miffed at the 'graininess'. However, It took about 30 minutes to get used to the lower resolution.

I love it for other reasons, namely the perfect size.

Sent using Tapatalk

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
It depends om what's most important for your uses and needs. I read a great deal on my iPad. Display is paramount to me and as much as I like the form factor of the mini, display, for me, trumps weight and portability. The lesser display is not something I'd get used to or be able to overlook the more I used the mini.

kristopherlarry

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
For Me Retina Wasn't A Deal Breaker... I Can Def See How It Doesn't Compare To The 3 or 4 Image Wise... But My 3 Was Just Not Comfortable For Me To Carry Everywhere... Simply Put... I Wanted A Smaller Tablet & Apple Was The Way To Go... Hope To See At Least A More Powerful Chip Next Go Round... But At The Price, Along With Thinness & Lightness... I Won't Complain... That's Just Me Tho...

iPhone 5 32gb, iPad 3 32gb, iPad Mini LTE 32gb, Apple TV3 x2..... Love The Ecosystem... 😜

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think what it boils down to is some people are just more sensitive to screen resolution than others. To me, the mini's screen is clearly fuzzier, but I don't mind. We all lived with non-retina displays for many years before Apple even introduced the concept.

Batting1000

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPad 2 as my first iPad and then jumped to the mini so I'm use to it. I have the iPhone 5 too, but the fact that the mini isn't Retina doesn't bother me that much.

angermeans

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I would try to wait for the new iPad mini with retina display that we know is coming sometime in 2013 first / second quarter.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

I wouldn't place any bets on this retina iPad mini your "know is coming" it's not just an issue of adding a retina display like most think it is. I ave yet to see a display at this size with tat many ppi. It would far surpass any iPad family product out to date yet be on the lowest it's device? I really doubt it. Unless apple decides to go to 3x or even 4x they won't allow for a higher ppi on the lowest cost iPad mini. It makes no sense at all. Not to mention I don't think it can even be done right now. First of all they won't jeopordize the size and weight as that is the selling point for the mini. To run a retina type display on an iPad mini would mean for a much larger battery just look at the 3rd and 4th gen. Apple won't give up its 10 hr battery life and that has been shown by there lateness in the LTE game and lack or retina in the mini thus far. Second is cost. It would cost too much and apple will not (nor should they) give up the money they make off of each iOS device. They've shown it many many times before. Third, (and like I mentioned above) what you get people to upgrade to the larger iPad if the mini had a better ppi and thus better display? Apple makes higher product margins the higher we goin the family. If they offered their top of the line inte lowest cost iOS device and have it higher tan the rest what would be the point in that? It makes zero sense at all.

I'm willing to get the mini will always be at least one or two product cycles behind the 9.7 inch iPad. Just look at this now. It matches the specs of the iPad 2 almost exactly and now we have the 3rd and 4th gen. It just won't happen. I find it funny how everyone throws all logic out the window when it comes to apples product line. Jony Ive and te crew are good but try don't have magic wands (like some believe). We won't see a retina display in the mini for at least another two years if even then.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Eh...

I think I already said all of this in a more consise post just a few comments ago... :)

But Anyway...

You want a Retina.. Get a 3/4

You want portability.. Get a Mini..

In final response to the OP's question.. No One "Looked Past" this whole "Retina Thing"..

Everyone MADE A CHOICE.. and KNEW EXCACTLY what they were buying..

You want a Retina Screen pay $399 - $699.00 and get it..

You want what the Mini brings pay $329 - $659.00 and get it..

You did not "Look-Past" anything..

You made a choice.

I don't know how I missed this seeing it was my own thread, lol

I want a retina screen iPad Mini and I'm sure I will get it for $329-$659
once it's out. I want portability with a small form factor with retina
display and I will get it for $329-$659. I'd bet my life on it.

Making a choice and knowing exactly what each of us are buying is
different than looking past a feature. Simply put, I was wondering if
many people who were really interested in it did what I did and took
it back or just all-out didn't buy it because it was lacking retina display.

RaiderWill

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how I missed this seeing it was my own thread, lol

I want a retina screen iPad Mini and I'm sure I will get it for $329-$659
once it's out. and I will get it for $329-$659. I'd bet my life on it

Making a choice and knowing exactly what each of us are buying is
different than looking past a feature.

LOL !
It's still was a "Trade-Off" A Retina iPad Mini did not exsist.. does not exsist.. and who knows? may never exsist. The technology at the moment does not exsist to keep the iPad Mini Everything that it is now and also magically become a Retina.. Price being the least of Apple's worries :)

Have you seen the battery that powers the 4th-Gen iPad? it's bigger than an entire Mini..

The Mini will have to get at least the batterylife it currently enjoys.. while having enough "Grunt" to push those 3.1 million Retina pixels and supply them with Light.. ( up from the current 756k ) as of this moment in time, that technology simply does not exsist without a sacrifice of some sort ( Size or weight ) to make it happen..

One day you will be able to have a Mini with a Retina Display.

But I have a feeling the Redesigned iPad 5 (Mini-Style) is going to be One Big Show Stopper..

I know that's where my $600.00 is going.. :)

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
But when we made our purchase, there was nothing to "Look Past" you chose either Size or you chose Superior Screen Quality.

But, I want both :(
449e993870d1b5d397c992b513c3e603.jpg

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If the 5 comes out in a smaller and lighter package like the mini and still has the same size screen as the 4, that's where my money is going this fall. I love my mini, but really want retina. Woulda gone with the 4, but I want more portability. And a lower weight and sized full size 5 would be perfect.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I could care less that my iPad Mini doesn't have retina display. Then again I never cared whether my phone did or not, either.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My phone lasts 3 days a charge now, that is how little I use it, since I am on my mini all the time.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My phone lasts 3 days a charge now, that is how little I use it, since I am on my mini all the time.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

I think I'm gonna just sell my iPad 4 now since I hardly use it. The Mini is just too
easy to carry around and I see myself neglecting my phone too.