2 iPads, how does iTunes deal with it?

iCeborg

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok so here is the scenario...

My dad has an iPad 2 and we connect it with my computer, in my computer account, in my iTunes with HIS email/Apple ID.

Now I buy the iPad Mini anytime soon. If I want to connect the new iPad Mini to my computer, with my computer account, in my iTunes with MY email/Apple ID will it work? Or will the iTunes go all wonky and the large hadron collider exploded? :p

I am just new to the Apple ecosystem so I ask this...

iCeborg

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
and if I use the same ID as my dad's? I mean, it is just an Apple ID right?

If you both use the same ID then it will treat both devices as belonging to that one person.

There are a number of different ways to setup Apple ID?s for multiple users in the same household.
Some like separate ID?s for everyone, while others like to at least share a common ID for purchases.

We went the separate ID way because when we started with Apple we were told by the staff at the store to do it that way. It also works well for us since we both have our own computers and you can still share apps, (just requires the person who originally purchased the app to login to the others account and download it). We actually have never had to do this yet.

For those who like to share a common account for app purchases you should at least setup a shared ID for purchases, and then use separate ones for e-mail, iMessage, iCloud, and FaceTime calls.

:)

iCeborg

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you both use the same ID then it will treat both devices as belonging to that one person.

There are a number of different ways to setup Apple ID?s for multiple users in the same household.
Some like separate ID?s for everyone, while others like to at least share a common ID for purchases.

We went the separate ID way because when we started with Apple we were told by the staff at the store to do it that way. It also works well for us since we both have our own computers and you can still share apps, (just requires the person who originally purchased the app to login to the others account and download it). We actually have never had to do this yet.

For those who like to share a common account for app purchases you should at least setup a shared ID for purchases, and then use separate ones for e-mail, iMessage, iCloud, and FaceTime calls.

Thanks again. I will now share my problem. I have very little space on my HDD. So can I do this:
Log out of dad's ID from iTunes, plug in my Mini, set up a new account, re-login with my account, download all I want, disconnect, and log out of my ID.

Also, what happens to the apps already downloaded for dad's iPad on the system? Pages, Keynote and all...?
Will it be deleted?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that will work fine.
Nothing will happen to your Dad's applications, they will be safe in his apple ID account.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73