Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Alli
  • 1 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 2 Post By Rene Ritchie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Advice Wanted: iPad Mini vs. Other Tablets

Here's the situation: my dad wants to buy a tablet so he can begin texting me. He's in his sixties and has never had a computer--not even an email address. I really want him to get an iPad or iPad Mini, mostly because I feel like they are the most user-friendly for someone in his position, but also because iMessage and FaceTime would make communication much easier with me (iPhone 5, MBP).

However, it seems like he's wanting to check out some less expensive options--and this is where I need advice. If he was to go for another tablet, what is the best option? A Nexus, maybe? And assuming that whatever he gets is WiFi-only, what are the best apps available for cross-platform communication? (Whatsapp, etc.)

Ideally he'll just get the iPad, even if it means I pay for most of it, but I'd be interested to hear what his other options are. Thanks!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

A lot of tablets out there but I would push for iPad just for ease or use vs the others

Skype would be a cross platform as well

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    7,864 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    A lot of tablets out there but I would push for iPad just for ease or use vs the others

Skype would be a cross platform as well

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    I'd definitely push for the iPad.

In addition to Skype I think Viber is cross platform for video chat. You'd have to use an IM app rather than iMessage for text messages. Maybe TextPlus or Kik.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Advice Wanted: iPad Mini vs. Other Tablets

Get him a phone if he just wants to text. He's only in his 60's, ffs, he's not dead. If he realizes how simple it is to text, he might want to text other people, in which case he'll need a phone to flat out text from wherever he is. With an iPad, iPad Mini, or any other tablet, he would only be able to text a limited number of people when he's on WiFi. (If someone deletes WhatsApp, you'd never know.)

Break him in gently with a feature phone. Forget a tablet, if that's your only reason for getting one.
    gvndeb60 likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'd actually love to set him up with my old iPhone 4; it's him that wants the tablet. Size/eyesight might be an issue. But you're right, it might be worth having him look at some of the bigger phones out there, maybe a GS3 or something...
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,368 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Once you go mini you'll never go back. Size is PERFECT! Use my mini every single day since launch. Probably more than the 16 months prior with full size iPads (2 then a 3)!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts

Ok, so if he wants cheaper, let use the $200 price point of the Nexus or Kindle Fire. You stated that you would pay some, just pay the difference of the mini( $130). It will let you use FaceTime and iMessage like you want, and he gets an easier device for someone that has never even had a computer.
    Plus there is the added bonus of the Apple store. He could purchase there and get lots of good training from their staff. You could even purchase one on one so he can go in whenever for training/help.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I'd actually love to set him up with my old iPhone 4; it's him that wants the tablet. Size/eyesight might be an issue. But you're right, it might be worth having him look at some of the bigger phones out there, maybe a GS3 or something...
    If he is ok with paying for a data plan, you might want to try the Galaxy Note if a bigger screen is needed for his eyes. You can get refurbs on contract for $50 or off contract in the $300 range. I have no issues with Android and the screen size would be nice but the OS might be a lot for someone with zero computer experience.

Not sure of the prices, but Windows is another easy solution, my mother in law loves it(she also had zero computer or smart phone experience).

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I would totally get him the Note - phone version.
    iPhone Nanite

If non-retina screen doesn't bother you, Mini of course.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Maybe the Nook HD? I can't remember exactly which model it is, but the newer one with the front-facing camera. That or a Kindle HD. Simplicity + functionality.

Talk him into the iPad mini, though.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

What about an iPad 2? There might be some refurbished ones on the Apple Store, or many places are selling the iPad 2 for $400 or so. Resolution doesn't matter really, it's thinner than the 3 or 4 and still has all of the features a newer one does. If you're worried about eyesight I'd go for a regular iPad instead of a mini. The keyboard is much bigger, and thus easier to use, on a regular iPad. It costs a bit more than an iPad mini, but you may even get lucky and find someone selling a used one for a reasonable price in good condition.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

iPad or mini would be first choice obviously, but when you get down to the $200 price point, then Nexus 7 is the one all my research and my IT recommended currently of the 3. In fact I bought my daughter the kindle HD, but am returning it this weekend. I just picked up the nexus 7 tonight, but haven't played with it because its her Xmas gift but you know i will come Xmas day, hey Dads got to set it up for her-right? I will say this though, between the 2, the nexus felt in the hand closest to an apple product to me. Picking up the nook and kindle, to me, it was obvious I was holding another animal. Good luck.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts#IM View Post
    iPad or mini would be first choice obviously, but when you get down to the $200 price point, then Nexus 7 is the one all my research and my IT recommended currently of the 3. In fact I bought my daughter the kindle HD, but am returning it this weekend. I just picked up the nexus 7 tonight, but haven't played with it because its her Xmas gift but you know i will come Xmas day, hey Dads got to set it up for her-right? I will say this though, between the 2, the nexus felt in the hand closest to an apple product to me. Picking up the nook and kindle, to me, it was obvious I was holding another animal. Good luck.
    Can't really go wrong with a Nexus 7, either. I think someone who doesn't use a PC may have some trouble with Android, however.

Global Posts
    7,864 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

If you're going to be supporting it, then you should also consider getting the one you'd be most comfortable helping with.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,375 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The other tablets suck. I don't mean to be harsh, but they do. The Nexus 7 is probably the best, but it's more big iPod touch than small iPad.

Tim Cook was absolutely right: Your dad may feel great he saved a few bucks when he buys a cheaper tablet, but he'll spend months regretting it lately.

An iPad mini for $329 or an iPad 2 for $399 aren't more expensive, they're better values.

(And I own a Nexus 7, have for months, and it's still not an iPad alternative... yet.)
    IIJBII and Karenkcoulter like this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    The other tablets suck. I don't mean to be harsh, but they do. The Nexus 7 is probably the best, but it's more big iPod touch than small iPad.
    Can you explain how the Nexus 7 is a big iPod Touch and the iPad Mini isn't? The Nexus 7 has far more power and functionality than an iPod Touch, and an iPad Mini, for that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,375 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Google hasn't successfully deployed a tablet interface yet. They've failed to get developers to embrace tablet interfaces, and they've compromised their own software by promoting a mishmash of smartphone and tablet elements on the Nexus 7.

My *guess* is they simply haven't had time to do it and they'll get to it eventually, but right now the Nexus 7 lacks tablet software, so it's not really a tablet.

(Power and functionality don't really matter -- the DNA and Note 2 are almost the same size as the Nexus 7, and are as powerful and functional as the Nexus 7, yet they're not tablets either.)

Apple and iOS suck in a lot of ways as well, but they've been the most successful in deploying tablet interface and tablet software to date.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks all—after going to a few places and actually trying everything, he's decided on either an iPhone 4S or a Samsung GSIII so he can have a bit more portability. Proud of the guy!—he actually took early retirement so he wouldn't be forced to learn a computer system, so this is a big step for him.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henywatty View Post
    Can you explain how the Nexus 7 is a big iPod Touch and the iPad Mini isn't? The Nexus 7 has far more power and functionality than an iPod Touch, and an iPad Mini, for that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    I will have to agree with Rene. I have a nexus 7 (and a mini) and while its not a bad device, the apps don't seem to be setup for tablets, but rather as blown up phone apps. It's not bad, by any means, but the iPad mini is a better tablet IMHO. Also, the 4:3 aspect ratio is much more usable than the 16:9...
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,167 Global Posts

As a user of the mini and a BlackBerry PlayBook, I think the ipad 2 would have been the best choice for price, screen size, and ease of use. My mother just got hers for an early Christmas Present, she loves it. And she is 59.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-16-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,781 Global Posts

It really depends. For my kid, I'm considering a Fire HD 7". It's all about the amazon content especially unlimited childrens books they've recently announced (although still have to check it out). Along with better parental controls.

For my mother in law who really can't operate a PC either? The criteria changes. You don't care about parental controls. Content? Still a bit important as it needs to be easy. Cost? Has to be low. Their tech budget is usually "free" if they can manage it (or manage you is more like it..lol). But most of all it has to be EASY TO USE.

Cross out the Nexus on that one. It comes down to Amazon vs ipads. The being cheap and having some free (with your Prime) content rears its head again. But ease of use goes to ipads as well as more of a variety in what apps you can use. Ideally, in my case, the tablet would have LTE. She could basically get rid of her internet which she hates paying for (and doesn't really use much at all as her PC stays turned off most of time) and we could put her on our plan for 10 a month. That means Verizon. That means ipad. BTW i should mention the 30 a month dsl internet she pays for is too slow to be useful besides web browsing. It's a bit less than 1mb down. A speedtest of my verizon iphone 5 is like 15-20mbps down inside her house.

So ease of use, we share our apps with her, share some content she likes, netflix, amazon video, etc, her cancelling her internet pays for itself. Ipad wins. Which ipad? 16gb LTE for sure. Probably a Mini.

Global Posts
    7,864 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

If you look to Pogue's tech post on the NYTimes, he recently reported on a test where kids were given a variety of tablets (including some marketed just for kids). I think the Kindle Fire was included but not sure about the Nexus. The most amusing was that all the kids gravitated to the iPad or iPad mini regardless of the other tablet.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,423 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If you look to Pogue's tech post on the NYTimes, he recently reported on a test where kids were given a variety of tablets (including some marketed just for kids). I think the Kindle Fire was included but not sure about the Nexus. The most amusing was that all the kids gravitated to the iPad or iPad mini regardless of the other tablet.
    It seems they are preconditioned by Apple advertising and possibly what their folks already own. I have a ten year old brother. Apple products have been in his life since he was about 6. He doesn't really know what a Kindle or Nexus tablet is. He knows they are tablets. And he knows that Kindle is an app that he is forced to use for reading. But arguably, his preference would be an iPad/iPad mini. And he's coming from a household that has a couple android tablets that he is very familiar with using. He just doesn't know what they're called lol.

Also, his preference would also be for an iPhone. But again, the household is equally split between Android and Apple users. He thinks the iPhone is cooler.

Lucky for us all, he would rather an Xbox game since he can just ask to use one of the tablets or phones around the house. 😊
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Thanks allafter going to a few places and actually trying everything, he's decided on either an iPhone 4S or a Samsung GSIII so he can have a bit more portability. Proud of the guy!he actually took early retirement so he wouldn't be forced to learn a computer system, so this is a big step for him.
    Wise move getting a phone instead of a tablet. Wish I could afford to take early retirement! Remind your dad he's still young (and you should remember that as well!), and that this is not that big a step. My 85 year old dad went from ah HTC Evo to the iPhone 4S, so age doesn't have much to do with it.

I guess since the original question has been answered, we can close the thread rather than spending any more energy on bashing other tablets.