Honest and unbiased answers about the specs plz....

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I am a prospective buyer of the iPad Mini. However, I am a little confused with the specs. So some questions I would like to ask:

What is the RAM on the Mini?

What is the GPU and processor used?

As compared to the iPad 2, which one do you think is better?

And lastly, does the Nexus 7 really beat the Mini? (Please answer this with utmost honesty)

Lastly, performance-wise, I love my dad's iPad2 a lot....will the Mini be better or even the same as the iPad2?

Thanks for reading!

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I am a prospective buyer of the iPad Mini. However, I am a little confused with the specs. So some questions I would like to ask:

And lastly, does the Nexus 7 really beat the Mini? (Please answer this with utmost honesty)

Lastly, performance-wise, I love my dad's iPad2 a lot....will the Mini be better or even the same as the iPad2?

Thanks for reading!

Responding to this from my iPad mini :)

RAM = 512MB
GPU is the same as iPad 2 (I believe)

I've owned both the iPad 2 and the mini and I prefer the mini. It's really hard to put into words why.. Saying "it's smaller" doesn't quite work... It's just all around better. I think the form factor and weight are perfect. Thumb typing on the mini is awesome for me, so much faster than the larger iPad. It's way lighter so it's much better for being out and about.

Nexus 7 : it's really a matter of opinion. Specs on an iPad can't be directly compared to non-apple devices so you can't really go by that. Personally I like the iOS ecosystem. Tons of apps available for every purpose and they're usually highly polished. Plus Apple's support is top notch. I love that I can simply walk into an apple store if I have a problem and walk out with a replacement unit.

Performance : the mini seems to perform exactly the same as my GF's iPad 2. Battery life is better on the mini for sure. The thing that shocked me was that the mini is sometimes smoother than my iPad 3!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks for reading!

According to the chart in Wikipedia (iPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, see below), the specs between the iPad 2 and the iPad Mini are almost identical. They key difference is the physical size, and the effective resolution differences caused by the same resolution on a smaller screen.

Both have 512 MB of RAM.
Both use the Apple A5 SoC
Both use the 1GHZ dual-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU
Both use the PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU

When compared to the Nexus 7, the key differences are the form factor (iPad Mini is 4:3 compared to the 16:9 form factor of the Nexus 7) and the screen resolution (Nexus 7 is retina or near retina, vs the 163 PPI resolution of the iPad Mini). But the key difference, IMHO, is software. There are many more apps for the iPad Mini (upwards of 275,000), including the vast majority of them are designed specifically for the tablet device as opposed to the Nexus 7 running "phone" apps - and less of them are available.
ModeliPad (1st generation)iPad 2iPad (3rd generation)iPad (4th generation)iPad Mini
StatusDiscontinuedAvailableDiscontinuedAvailableAvailable
Announcement dateJanuary 27, 2010[SUP][20][/SUP]March 2, 2011[SUP][44][/SUP]March 7, 2012October 23, 2012October 23, 2012
Release dateApril 3, 2010[SUP][3][/SUP]March 11, 2011[SUP][110][/SUP]March 16, 2012November 2, 2012November 2, 2012
DiscontinuedMarch 2, 2011[SUP][44][/SUP]32, 64 GB: March 7, 2012
16 GB: In production
October 23, 2012In productionIn production
Display9.7 inches (250 mm) multitouch display with LED backlighting and a fingerprint and scratch-resistant coating[SUP][6][/SUP]7.9 inches (200 mm)multitouch display
1,024 ? 768 pixels at 132 ppi2,048 ? 1,536 pixels at 264 ppi (Retina Display)1,024 ? 768 pixels at 163 ppi
SoCApple A4[SUP][7][/SUP]Apple A5Apple A5X[SUP][111][/SUP]Apple A6XApple A5
CPU1 GHz ARM Cortex-A81 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A91 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A91.4 GHz dual-core AppleSwift1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9
GPUPowerVR SGX535PowerVR SGX543MP2PowerVR SGX543MP4PowerVR SGX554MP4PowerVR SGX543MP2
Memory256 MB DDR RAM built into Apple A4 package[SUP][8][/SUP]512 MB DDR2 (1066 Mbit/s data rate) RAM built into Apple A5 package[SUP][9][/SUP]1024 MB DDR2[SUP][10][/SUP]1024 MB DDR2[SUP][112][/SUP]512 MB DDR2 RAM built into Apple A5 package[SUP][113][/SUP]
Storage16, 32, or 64 GB[SUP][6][/SUP]
WirelessWi-FiWi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR[SUP][6][/SUP]Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0
Wi-Fi+3G/4GIn addition to above:
3G cellular HSDPA, 2G cellular EDGE on 3G models[SUP][6][/SUP]
In addition to above and left:
3G transitional LTE on 4G model
GeolocationWi-FiWi-Fi,[SUP][6][/SUP] Apple location databases[SUP][114][/SUP]
Wi-Fi+3G/4GAssisted GPS, Apple databases,[SUP][114][/SUP] Cellular network[SUP][6][/SUP]Additionally: GLONASS
EnvironmentalsensorsAccelerometer, ambient light sensor, magnetometer[SUP][6][/SUP]Additionally: gyroscope
Operating systemiOS 5.1.1iOS 6.0.1[SUP][115][/SUP]
BatteryBuilt-in lithium-ion polymer battery;(10 hours (Wi-Fi), 9 hours (3G or LTE) browsing; 10 hours video;[SUP][6][/SUP] 140 hours audio;[SUP][116][/SUP] 1 month standby[SUP][117][/SUP])
WeightWi-Fi model: 1.5 lb (680 g)
3G model: 1.6 lb (730 g)
Wi-Fi model: 1.325 lb (601 g)
GSM 3G (AT&T) model: 1.351 lb (613 g)
CDMA 3G (Verizon) model: 1.338 lb (607 g)
Wi-Fi model: 1.44 lb (650 g)
LTE model: 1.46 lb (660 g)
Wi-Fi model: 0.68 lb (310 g)
LTE model: 0.69 lb (310 g)
Dimensions9.56?7.47?0.528 in (243?190?13.4 mm)[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][118][/SUP]9.5?7.31?0.346 in (240?186?8.8 mm)[SUP][118][/SUP]9.5?7.31?0.37 in (240?186?9.4 mm)7.87?5.3?0.28 in (200?130?7.1 mm)
Mechanical keysHome, sleep, volume rocker, variable function switch (originally screen rotation lock, mute in iOS 4.2, either in 4.3 and later)[SUP][6][/SUP]
CameraBackN/A720 p HD still and video camera
0.7 MP, 30fps and 5? digital zoom
1080p HD still and video camera
5 MP, 30fps and 5? digital zoom
FrontN/AVGA-quality still and videocamera, 0.3 MP1.2 MP still, 720p video
Greenhouse gas emissions130 kg CO[SUB]2[/SUB]e[SUP][119][/SUP]105 kg CO[SUB]2[/SUB]e[SUP][120][/SUP]180 kg CO[SUB]2[/SUB]e[SUP][121][/SUP]170 kg CO[SUB]2[/SUB]e[SUP][122][/SUP]95 kg CO[SUB]2[/SUB]e[SUP][123]

[/SUP]

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both, Fausty82 & j_benj. Firstly, I much appreciate the fact I wasn't attacked for asking about the Nexus 7 directly. Secondly, my concern was the resolution of the two. I mean, for example, how different will a HD game differ on the two? Which would look/feel better?
And apart from the games, the overall OS is smoother should be better on the iPad Mini right?

My dad's iPad 2 is just sooooo smooth it's not funny. Lately, I have taken to eMagazines. My primary purpose would be reading (both novels and magazines) and games, but not as much as reading.

Also, which one is better while commuting in a semi-crowded to almost empty train? I mean, overall holding the device in a moving locomotive etc..

Again, much appreciate your replies...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If your primary goal is reading, go for the mini. I have the 2 and also own a Kindle for reading because I find the 2 too unwieldy for reading (although many disagree with me on this point).

As for how HD looks on a non HD screen - looks great. It's the other way around that things may not look good (nonHD on an HD screen).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both, Fausty82 & j_benj. Firstly, I much appreciate the fact I wasn't attacked for asking about the Nexus 7 directly. Secondly, my concern was the resolution of the two. I mean, for example, how different will a HD game differ on the two? Which would look/feel better?
And apart from the games, the overall OS is smoother should be better on the iPad Mini right?

My dad's iPad 2 is just sooooo smooth it's not funny. Lately, I have taken to eMagazines. My primary purpose would be reading (both novels and magazines) and games, but not as much as reading.

Also, which one is better while commuting in a semi-crowded to almost empty train? I mean, overall holding the device in a moving locomotive etc..

I understand, but cannot answer, as I don’t own a Nexus device and have only seen one for a few minutes.

According to the internet, the Nexus 7 is 240 PPI and the iPad Mini is 163 PPI... so the resolution of the Nexus 7 is 50% higher... I can’t say what that may mean in actual use.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If your primary goal is reading, go for the mini. I have the 2 and also own a Kindle for reading because I find the 2 too unwieldy for reading (although many disagree with me on this point).

As for how HD looks on a non HD screen - looks great. It's the other way around that things may not look good (nonHD on an HD screen).

Nice...so, in short, iPad Mini wins. Did I mention browsing? But that's a given right? Browsing tech websites, articles etc...not much of a gamer though, so whatever is available I am happy.
Also, with identical specs, I am guessing it will be just as smooth as the iPad 2, if not better. Or is it? ;)

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nice...so, in short, iPad Mini wins. Did I mention browsing? But that's a given right? Browsing tech websites, articles etc...not much of a gamer though, so whatever is available I am happy.
Also, with identical specs, I am guessing it will be just as smooth as the iPad 2, if not better. Or is it? ;)

I had the iPad 2 when it came out and now have the Mini. The browsing experience on my iPad Mini is just as smooth as it was on my 2 if not better. I have no issues with Safari closing or restarting due to having multiple tabs open at one time. Don't have the checkerboard issue like I had on my iPad 2, so that is a nice improvement for me. I mostly use my iPad Mini for reading books and browsing the web and I am 100% happy with the experience thus far. YMMV.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I, too, cannot comment on the Nexus (or other higher resolution tablet) when it comes to how games compare. What I can say is that I do own a retina iPad 3 as well as the mini. Games look great and play just as well on the mini. The lower resolution seems much more forgiving when it comes to gaming, I don't notice much pixelation.

I would think the mini would be great for commuting. I use mine as a media player when I'm at my desk at work every day.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Specs can only tell you so much: like a car or a girlfriend - one can look great on paper, yet just not feel right in real life. You have the numbers - can put them into a matrix calculate a weighted score - run them every which way. That still won'lt answer your question -- time to try them. Go to a store. Pick them up. Go someplace that sells both mini and Nexus. Try the same game on both side by side. See what works best FOR YOU. The numbers can be anything - they only matter if its the device you LIKE. They may have similar specs, yet they are different experiences.

Just call it - see what fits best for you. You would test drive a car (or a girlfriend), right? The numbers won't make your choice right or wrong - YOU will. What's best for you will differ from the next guy and the guy after that. In the end, you like what you like - and you will only know THAT when you get out of the spreadsheets and into the store.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
A friend would be visiting the US soon. Can I ask her to get it from there? I want a Wifi-only model anyways. Will it need activation of any sort when it comes here in India?

Thanks!

X 0 N 0 D E

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Specs can only tell you so much: like a car or a girlfriend - one can look great on paper, yet just not feel right in real life. You have the numbers - can put them into a matrix calculate a weighted score - run them every which way. That still won'lt answer your question -- time to try them. Go to a store. Pick them up. Go someplace that sells both mini and Nexus. Try the same game on both side by side. See what works best FOR YOU. The numbers can be anything - they only matter if its the device you LIKE. They may have similar specs, yet they are different experiences.

Just call it - see what fits best for you. You would test drive a car (or a girlfriend), right? The numbers won't make your choice right or wrong - YOU will. What's best for you will differ from the next guy and the guy after that. In the end, you like what you like - and you will only know THAT when you get out of the spreadsheets and into the store.

Absolutely agree. I saw the neXus 7 today and guess what? The attendant said the iPad Mini will be coming the next week. Now just waiting for the price of the mini...but i am mostly buying it for sure...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The wifi only model would be fine to purchase in the US. It does need activation but that can be done via wifi or plugged into a computer running iTunes.

Agreed, there shouldn't be any problems activating the WiFi Mini via iTunes.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Although the ipad mini and ipad 2 processors are both a5's, not all a5's (or processors in general) are created equal. The ipad mini's a5 is actually a smaller, newer generation of the processor that is much more efficient, leading to noticeably better battery life.

raremage

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I have an original Nexus 7. I bought it specifically because i wanted a tablet i could easily take with me everywhere, which my larger iPad is too big to do with.

It's sit idle since I got the mini. Perfect size, screen is perfectly usable, no issues at all going from the higher Rez N7 to the Mini. Your mileage may vary, as I'm simply more interested in features and ecosystem than some of the visual detail perhaps. But for me it's a no brainier, the Mini is vastly superior.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro