Why did you decide to get the iPad mini?

Jonnyboy255

May 18, 2012
Visit site
As probably most of you know that the nexus 7 has better screen resolution and better specs. Why did you guys decided to get the iPad mink instead of the nexus 7 knowing this? I need your opinions. I currently own a nexus 7 that I brought 3 weeks ago but 2 days ago was my first time seeing and holding an iPad mini. And that thing is beautiful I think I will need to sell this nexus 7 and buy the iPad mini Asap.

kebema

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel?

For me, it was about the apps. All of the apps made for the iPad work for the iPad mini. Keep in mind, these are all apps designed to run on a tablet, not just a stretched out version of the phone app, so the user experience is much better. And there are over 275,000 of them. I owned an android tablet at one time, and while it was a nice tablet, the app selection just didn't cut it for me. Though android is catching up in many areas, the app selection for android tablets is lagging behind when compared with Apple.

Sent from my iPad Mini LTE using Tapatalk

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel?

The biggest factor for me is iOS. It's much better than Android, in my opinion, and has many more features. The app selection and abilities of the OS are the best available. The form factor and screen size beat any Android tablet out there.

The fact that I'm all in on the Apple ecosystem is also a big factor. I believe strongly in Apple having the best and they continue to prove me right.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you've already got iOS apps it makes sense. Which OS is better is subjective but you won't have to purchase all your apps again (some you will need to buy the iPad-friendly version)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As probably most of you know that the nexus 7 has better screen resolution and better specs. Why did you guys decided to get the iPad mink instead of the nexus 7 knowing this? I need your opinions. I currently own a nexus 7 that I brought 3 weeks ago but 2 days ago was my first time seeing and holding an iPad mini. And that thing is beautiful I think I will need to sell this nexus 7 and buy the iPad mini Asap.

It’s about the ecosystem. The Apple look and feel and definitely the apps are huge. Familiarity also played a large part in my reasoning... I picked up a Nexus 7 at one point (it was my brother's tablet) and was lost with the layout and function. I’m a reasonably intelligent person, but after years of using iOS devices, I just expected the Nexus to function the same way. It didn’t. And some of the apps that I use on my iPhone and iPad aren’t even available for the android environment... so I was just "lost".

Now, perhaps if I had purchased the Nexus, I would have taken (or been forced to take) the time to find my way around it... but as it was, I just preferred the familiar workings of my iPad.

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
The mini is my third iPad (had the original and the 3) and also two iPhones, so I have a lot invested in the iOS apps. Also like the ease with which all the Apple products behave with my Mac at home.
No interest in learning/owning a tablet with a different operating system. So for me it was very simple - I just wanted a tablet that was smaller/lighter than the iPad 3 and the lower resolution of the screen (compared to the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 does not bother me even when reading text at all.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the mini because it will compliment my iPhone 5 perfectly, plus I've never owned an iPad before. I already own a Note 10.1 so there is no need for an iPad 4. Plus with the mini I will be able to play better games then on the iPhone simply because of the bigger screen. I'm actually gonna sell my Vita for it since its just collecting dust.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I think the mini's design is up there with the best Apple (or any tech hardware company) has ever achieved. For this reason alone, trading in the Nexus 7 is to be advised.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've always said from day one "if Apple made the iPad smaller, I'd be the first to buy it." That happened, so I did.

It is not all about specs, it's also about quality. I know, that for the most part Apple puts out superior quality products that will last.

Also, I love the integration of iOS with my other devices. My iPhone, MacBook and iPad mini work so easily together, I had no reason for a non iOS tablet.

Sure the screen resolution is not as good, but it's sufficient and meets my needs. Whenever a retina version comes out, I will probably get it though. However, it's just not worth getting a different operating system.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
For me it has nothing to do with specs whatsoever. My mini purchase pretty much boiled down to a few things :

1. Apple hardware quality is top notch and their customer support/service is the best in the business, hands down (IMO). I've owned a LOT of tech products in my lifetime and have never experienced the level of service I have with Apple. I had an issue with the screen on my iPhone 4S a few days after launch.. went to the Apple store and walked out a half hour later with a brand new one that had been fully restored from my iCloud backup. No arguments, no questions, no trying to weasel out of giving me another unit.. they just did it happily and made sure it was working perfectly before I left.

2. The ecosystem is awesome (IMO). I love iCloud sync. It keeps my iPhone/iPad(s), Mac and PC all synced without ANY effort from me. Any photos I take on my iPhone magically appear on my iPad, Mac and PC. Documents, contacts, texts, etc.. all syncs up perfectly without me having to plug anything in anywhere.

3. It literally just works. I know that's corny and cliche but it's been true for me. In the past I have owned one Android phone (Froyo - Gingerbread) and two Android tablets (Gingerbread - Ice Cream Sandwich) and all of them had some pretty annoying "force close" issues with apps, even built-in apps would crash. Drove me up a wall. I have yet to experience an app crash on my mini. I have an iPad3 that I bought on launch day and I think I've had maybe 2 or 3 app crashes in the 8 months or so I've had it (they were 3rd party apps).

I will admit when I heard that the mini didn't have a retina display I was concerned and I decided not to pre-order because of it. Once I played with a display model at Best Buy a week ago I realized that while it was noticeably different from a retina display, it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews had made it out to be and it didn't bother me at all. So I took the plunge and bought it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wanted a Tablet that was light weight and thin. My Mini fit that requirement like a glove. I would not give it back for anything now. Best small size tablet on the market, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Here is my story, (as I type this on my mini).

I'm a long time BlackBerry user and I currently have several devices. When the Mobile Nations Passport thing went live I joined up on almost all of the sites. I currently have and use a BlackBerry Phone, I have an HTC Evo 4G LTE, a BlackBerry PlayBook, a PC running Windows and also Ubuntu. I have no desire to use Windows Phone at all. So the only thing I've been missing out on was something that ran iOS. I don't use iTunes as I hate it. But I love and use tablets more than anything.

So the logical thing to get was the mini. I must say I works well. The app selection is great as I imagined it would be. The non Retna display is a non-issue for me and the thinness, weight, and battery life of this little gem is quite good. There is limits in multitasking but that's what the PlayBook is for.

So in the end, I got the mini for the iOS experience. So far it's good, not great and some of the articles that Rene has wrote about what he would like to see come to the next iteration of iOS is very much spot on. I have no regrets in my purchase and the mini will be an excellent friend to bring along in my 2012-2013 world tour of mobile devices.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Simple. The nexus 7 doesn't work well my my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro. I love the iOS platform.

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I converted to Apple about 6 months ago... and it was one of the best things I've ever done!!! I was able to buy an iPhone4 from a friend for $50 and fell in love. Then I was upgraded to the iPhone 5 on my work line and loved that even more! I got an iPad 2 a few months ago and loved it as well, but it was just too big for me to hold for long periods of time. Once the mini was announced, I knew I had to have it... it's the perfect size for me... fits in my purse, great to travel with and I love being able to share my music and apps (most of them anyway) across my phone and my mini. The mini is the perfect size to use and hold... and the battery life is great!

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Simple. The nexus 7 doesn't work well my my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro. I love the iOS platform.

I would have to agree. Plus Apple makes very high quality devices that don't feel like a toy my kids should be tossing around. I've used a Nexus 7 and the lack of tablet apps was killing me.

Sent from my smaller iPad using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I hated the iPad when it first came out. I won the first gen iPad, kept it about 4 weeks, and sold it. It was just too big and bulky. A year ago, I won the 2nd gen iPad. Decided it was enough smaller enough than the first gen that it wasn't so bad, and iOS had improved enough that it was nice. I've been happy with it for the year. Then the mini came out and I said "that's what the iPad should have been from the beginning!" But I couldn't afford one even if I sold my iPad 2. Then I had a little windfall, so yesterday I marched into Best Buy and bought the 64 GB mini. And I got especially lucky, as the salesman who sold it to me expressed interest in my iPad 2 - and wound up buying it last night with all the accessories I no longer needed.

I love the mini - it absolutely is what the iPad should have been from the start. The larger version should have come later.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly planning on replacing my iPad 2 with an iPad 4, but I wouldn't mind an iPad mini to use at work and out in general instead of lugging the 4, and also to add to my Apple collection lol.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Full size to mini convert here. Had a 2 and a 3. Loved the size of the screen, but hardly carried them anywhere - and after upgrading my MacBook Pro (from 2007) to a new retina one, iPad got hardly any use.

Along comes the mini- boom! Size is perfect. Carry around is a breeze. Begs to be held and carried along for the ride. Super thin - fits perfectly in the hands (or even one hand). Weight is just right to hold up in bed or while lying down to read or watch movie. Also great size for when traveling and/or on a plane.

Having my mini since launch - I can say I'll probably never go back to a full size iPad. When I want a bigger screen I use my MBP.

henywatty

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do you feel?

The biggest factor for me is iOS. It's much better than Android, in my opinion, and has many more features. The app selection and abilities of the OS are the best available. The form factor and screen size beat any Android tablet out there.

The fact that I'm all in on the Apple ecosystem is also a big factor. I believe strongly in Apple having the best and they continue to prove me right.

The best form factor? The iPad Mini is much harder to hold than the Nexus 7 with one hand. Much harder.

And can you explain to me exactly how iOS 6 is better than Android 4.2? I mean the actual OS, not the eco system.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711