Which 4G mini to get? International carrier

gjoseph14

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I'd like to buy an iPad Mini wifi+cellular but I'm not sure which one to get. I'll be using it outside the US (apart from the occasional visit), so I'm wondering should I get the AT&T or Sprint/Verizon version? Which one has more bands to ensure it will work on my carrier's 4G network?

Thanks...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would think att model would offer the bands you would need to get in another country the Verizon model might not use those bands and only get Non LTE speeds ..
I'm sure someone else will chime in and have a more solid answer

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually I think it is the exact opposite.

The Verizon model has, I believe, the same baseband as the Verizon iPhone 5. So that means it supports Verizon CDMA in the US, worldwide 3G GSM (hspa and hspa+), Verizon LTE is the US and some of the worldwide LTE bands but not Canada. Check the Apple website for exact locations however LTE is not turned on yet in much of the world.

The AT&T one supports worldwide 3G GSM, AT&T LTE bands in the US. Those same bands are used in Canada.

So unless your international location is Canada, you want the Verizon version.

Ok I knew the bands were different but didn't know what was gonna be the best or most compatible globally

gjoseph14

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
From apple.com

Model A1454* AT&T

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

Model A1455* Sprint/Verizon

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

Still all gibberish to really. I guess both devices will pick up 3G practically anywhere but may not get 4G depending on which bands carriers are on.

gjoseph14

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How do i find out what band my carrier (or any other carrier for that matter) uses. There must be a list somewhere. I tried searching, but honestly don't know what to look for.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
How do i find out what band my carrier (or any other carrier for that matter) uses. There must be a list somewhere. I tried searching, but honestly don't know what to look for.

Verizon model for looking at specs would cover way more signals and bands then att model

Try looking at a carriers site select one of there LTE phones or 4g or what ever and pull the specs on the phone it should tell you

Sean Jones

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was dealing with the same situation with my purchase of my cellular iPad mini. After doing a lot of research and consulting several advanced Genius' at the Apple store I bought the Verizon version because it has the most bands out of the two. Most of my travel is to Europe and you can easily swap out SIM cards to any Carrier there. I have a current Verizon iPad 3 that I am running it on AT&T without any jailbreaks or mods of any kind. Straight out of the box. It only gets 4G on AT&T but the coverage is better where I live than CDMA (no LTE in my area) so I have a choice. Same with Europe and most of the world. The bands are the same in verizon for GSM and for many new LTE networks like UK LTE bands are 1, 3, 5 just like LTE on verizon iPad 4, and new mini. So to put it simply the verizon one will do both the CDMA (US only) and GSM (US and international). I know there are not a lot of details on this but from personal experience the Verizon ones always work best for me because of the choice in options.

gmontielh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was in Mexico recently where they just launched the iPhone 5. Carrier Telcel will be using the same LTE bands as AT&T and their coverage is quite extensive.

gjoseph14

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just found out my carrier (Digicel Antigua) 4G is on band 17. However, they have an extensive network throughout the Caribbean and will be launching their 4G in those markets shortly. Not sure what bands those will be on. Guess I'll take my chance with the AT&T version.

Jonathan Godinez

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I was in Mexico recently where they just launched the iPhone 5. Carrier Telcel will be using the same LTE bands as AT&T and their coverage is quite extensive.

I actually just picked up the AT&T version for my trip to Mexico and I am glad to find this out, Guadalajara has Telcel LTE which is where I will be going.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711