GPS module is present in only WIFI version

IBrunix

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I wondered to realize that inside my 16GB wifi iPad mini the GPS chip are present.
Contrary to Apple's website specification.
I don't know how it's possible.
In the specification of cellular version there is write "GPS GLONASS" this let me think that in our only wifi versione there is a simple GPS chip and not a GLONASS version.
Maps work fine and also navigation using my iPhone 4 with hotspot on.
I'm so curious to hear your opinion about this argument.
Cheers,
Brunix

Sosai X

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The reason it's working is that when tethered to your iPhone 4, the iPad mini is accessing and using the GPS from your phone. If you untether your wifi-only iPad mini from your iPhone 4 and all other wifi sources, you'll find that navigation doesn't work.

IBrunix

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
In a first time I connect the ipadmini just at my network Home wifi and maps working in same way tracking perfectly my position
In a second try in my car i connected to iPhone 4 hit spot just to download maps during navigation
I would try with a navigator app with offline maps but i look for a free one.
Any suggestion?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wifi iPads do not have GPS receivers in them. They locate you based on a database of known location of wifi hotspots.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Well that sucks! Why in heavens name would they, in this day and age, build a tablet without GPS??? You don't need data to access GPS, so what logic (or total lack of) could they have used to not build it in??

R...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Well that sucks! Why in heavens name would they, in this day and age, build a tablet without GPS??? You don't need data to access GPS, so what logic (or total lack of) could they have used to not build it in??

Why ask why.... just know it is what it is, and there's no need to kvetch about it.

If you want a device with built-in GPS - get one with cellular capabilities, and you're covered. Or, get one with wifi only, and add an external GPS receiver - and you're covered.

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
The reason it's working is that when tethered to your iPhone 4, the iPad mini is accessing and using the GPS from your phone. If you untether your wifi-only iPad mini from your iPhone 4 and all other wifi sources, you'll find that navigation doesn't work.

Is this true? Can the WiFi-only iPads actually pull GPS data from the iPhones when tethered?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is this true? Can the WiFi-only iPads actually pull GPS data from the iPhones when tethered?

Ive seen this claim made in a number of places, but have yet to try it for myself... and I'm very skeptical about it. I may have to just try it and see... but - the fact still remains - if one wants GPS capabilities on a Wifi iPad, one must have some sort of external source for the GPS data, and that can be done with devices that connect to the iPad directly or via bluetooth.

Edited to add:

I tried this... connected my iPad3 to my iPhone4S via personal hot spot... and the stock Maps app did indeed get a location fix via the iPhone... then I went for a little drive. There's where it went to an end user experience that I'd rate something less than desirable... lag between where I was & where the map showed I was, and while moving, the location was not as accurate as when I've used my iPad with the BadElf GPS receiver plugged in - the iPad/BadElf combo is every bit as good as my Garmin Nuvi765t.

Last edited:

James Lynch1

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
GPS tracking without a network provider ?

Hi there, I'm a pilot and use my iPad with the 'Air Navigation Pro' moving map. My iPad is cellular and therefore has a GPS module. Is this sufficient for moving maps or would I need a network provider ie Vodafone O2, etc.

Kind regards. Jim