Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default How many people are PISSED about the charger included with the Mini???

I can't believe that Apple shipped the Mini with the SLOW iPhone charger instead of the one that comes with the normal iPads!!!
    (Tried to sell my iPad 3 to someone but they insisted on the original charger for the sale to go through.)
    Guess I will have to go back to the Apple store and get the new 12W "brick".
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: How many people are PISSED about the charger included with the Mini???

Quote Originally Posted by swandy View Post
    I can't believe that Apple shipped the Mini with the SLOW iPhone charger instead of the one that comes with the normal iPads!!!
    (Tried to sell my iPad 3 to someone but they insisted on the original charger for the sale to go through.)
    Guess I will have to go back to the Apple store and get the new 12W "brick".
    I didn’t get the Mini, so I’m not pi$$ed, but it sure is a confusing situation. Not sure why, unless they figured with a decent battery, that most would charge them overnight when it doesn’t matter how quickly/slowly it charges since it’s typically 7-8 hours anyway.

If I were to get a Mini, I’d probably opt for the 12W charger for an extra $19... another annoyance, but it’s only money.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Default Re: How many people are PISSED about the charger included with the Mini???

FWIW, charging your battery slower is supposed to make it last longer. By last longer I mean it degrades slower.
    There are some people who for some strange reason, that if they're on a diet, they don't want you to eat a cupcake. If you do eat a cupcake, all they want to do is tell you that it tastes bad.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    FWIW, charging your battery slower is supposed to make it last longer. By last longer I mean it degrades slower.
    Not true with this battery technology.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Really wow a 5 watt charger ?

Will it charge at 12 watt with the new brick because I saw a video that showed hooking a iPhone to the new brick it still only got 5 watt .. So I would test that before I bought anything more
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just a related note but sadly the mini won't charge via USB plugged into a laptop. At least not with the one I tried (dell dimension workstation laptop)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    iOS Version

*Shrugs* I don't care. I charge everything overnight anyway.

Global Posts
    11,882 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Just a related note but sadly the mini won't charge via USB plugged into a laptop. At least not with the one I tried (dell dimension workstation laptop)
    It's the laptop that has under-powered USB ports.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates

Global Posts
    6,974 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Most Windows laptops don't supply enough power to the USB ports to charge an iPad. Newer ones that have USB 3 ports may, but Windows laptops that only have USB 2 ports almost never charge an iPad.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My mini charges much faster with the 5w charger than my iPad 3 does with 10w. No I'm not ticked.
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Eh. It doesn't bother me. I charge while I'm sleeping.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

It's kind of funny when I had my mini attached to my laptop tonight. It stated that it wasn't charging, however it had a full charge after I removed it from the laptop and was only half charged when I plugged it in.
    iPhone Intermediate

Yawn.....
    iMore Newbie

I think that the whole idea of the lightening charger is that it does what its name suggests. I have noticed charging is a little quicker but a 10w version would be truly "lightening".

Global Posts
    3,996 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS8.1b2

Really... Does it matter which charger you are using? If your device gets 10 hours of battery life then use it ALL day and plug it in at night, or just plug it in anytime you are near juice and keep it topped off.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Timhewitt View Post
    Not true with this battery technology.
    Isn't it standard lithium-ion chemistry? Fast charging increases temperature, which degrades lithium-ion batteries. That's a well known know issue with common lithium-ion chemistries.

From Wikipedia:

"High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss.[46] Charging heat is caused by the carbon anode (typically replaced with lithium titanate which drastically reduces damage from charging, including expansion and other factors)." Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Wiki is not always correct, but for the most part it's good enough.
    There are some people who for some strange reason, that if they're on a diet, they don't want you to eat a cupcake. If you do eat a cupcake, all they want to do is tell you that it tastes bad.
    Thanked by:
    BlackBerry Guy (11-06-2012), jclisenby (06-30-2013)
    jclisenby likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by skipbarker View Post
    Eh. It doesn't bother me. I charge while I'm sleeping.
    Agreed. It's not that big a deal to me anyways.
    iPhone 6 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    iPhone Newbie

Pissed off cuz it doesn't really charge while i'm playing games or watching movies!
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by jennaBaby View Post
    Pissed off cuz it doesn't really charge while i'm playing games or watching movies!
    Might be just a oversight with iPad mini.... Perhaps a fix will come out with update. I recall iPhone 3 wouldn't charge while I used slingbox app to watch tv... A software update later fixed it....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,025 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Better than no charger like my iPod touch 5.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry Guy from CB View Post
    Better than no charger like my iPod touch 5.
    The touch has never come with a charger.
    iPhone Intermediate

Never had charger included
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbandit View Post
    It's kind of funny when I had my mini attached to my laptop tonight. It stated that it wasn't charging, however it had a full charge after I removed it from the laptop and was only half charged when I plugged it in.
    The regular iPad does the same thing. On the iPad having the screen on with the bigger screen pulls more power so it says it isn't charging. If you let it sit with the screen off it will charge. I've charged my iPad 3 lots of times that way it just takes like 8 hours.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iPhone Newbie

Having used the smaller 5 watt charger for the past few nights, I can say that it had no problem fully charging the Mini after a full day's usage. (Generally the battery percentage was down to about 50% or so when I put it up to charge.) Still surprised since with both of my previous iPads (1 and 3 editions) Apple gave the larger, more powerful version. Only got the smaller one with the iPhones in the past.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Having had an iPad 3 that took FOREVER to charge, I have zero complaints with the mini's charger
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast