How many people are PISSED about the charger included with the Mini???

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe that Apple shipped the Mini with the SLOW iPhone charger instead of the one that comes with the normal iPads!!!
(Tried to sell my iPad 3 to someone but they insisted on the original charger for the sale to go through.)
Guess I will have to go back to the Apple store and get the new 12W "brick".

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that Apple shipped the Mini with the SLOW iPhone charger instead of the one that comes with the normal iPads!!!
(Tried to sell my iPad 3 to someone but they insisted on the original charger for the sale to go through.)
Guess I will have to go back to the Apple store and get the new 12W "brick".

I didn’t get the Mini, so I’m not pi$$ed, but it sure is a confusing situation. Not sure why, unless they figured with a decent battery, that most would charge them overnight when it doesn’t matter how quickly/slowly it charges since it’s typically 7-8 hours anyway.

If I were to get a Mini, I’d probably opt for the 12W charger for an extra $19... another annoyance, but it’s only money. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Really wow a 5 watt charger ?

Will it charge at 12 watt with the new brick because I saw a video that showed hooking a iPhone to the new brick it still only got 5 watt .. So I would test that before I bought anything more

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a related note but sadly the mini won't charge via USB plugged into a laptop. At least not with the one I tried (dell dimension workstation laptop)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My mini charges much faster with the 5w charger than my iPad 3 does with 10w. No I'm not ticked.

Darkbandit

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of funny when I had my mini attached to my laptop tonight. It stated that it wasn't charging, however it had a full charge after I removed it from the laptop and was only half charged when I plugged it in.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I think that the whole idea of the lightening charger is that it does what its name suggests. I have noticed charging is a little quicker but a 10w version would be truly "lightening".

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Really... Does it matter which charger you are using? If your device gets 10 hours of battery life then use it ALL day and plug it in at night, or just plug it in anytime you are near juice and keep it topped off.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Not true with this battery technology.

Isn't it standard lithium-ion chemistry? Fast charging increases temperature, which degrades lithium-ion batteries. That's a well known know issue with common lithium-ion chemistries.

From Wikipedia:

"High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss.[46] Charging heat is caused by the carbon anode (typically replaced with lithium titanate which drastically reduces damage from charging, including expansion and other factors)." Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Wiki is not always correct, but for the most part it's good enough.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Pissed off cuz it doesn't really charge while i'm playing games or watching movies!

Might be just a oversight with iPad mini.... Perhaps a fix will come out with update. I recall iPhone 3 wouldn't charge while I used slingbox app to watch tv... A software update later fixed it....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711